BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/30/2010 4:56:46 PM EDT
Anyone actually seen one of these yet?

Looks very intriguing.......Definitely a step up from the old Olympic Arms models that also had no buffer tube!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Looks very intriguing.......Definitely a step up from the old Olympic Arms models that also had no buffer tube!!

I think they kinda copied mine

(in the avatar)

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they kinda copied mine
(in the avatar)

I think you may be right!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a couple on Gunbroker.  

I am very interested in the design, but I hope RRA considers a chrome lined barrel or in the minimum some type of metal treatment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
PK has one in stock.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
$1300 was more than I was looking to spend on my first ar pistol, but this thing has me intrigued... I like the bufferless thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I was watching this one but didn't have the stones (or $ for that matter) to bid.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=197524138

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I played with one. The front charging handle was a great idea, but the handle itself seemed small in my hand. Almost awkward. Really neat design and would be a great SBR in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Really neat design and would be a great SBR in my opinion

I picked one up a couple days ago. It looks as if the BCG rams the back of the lower reciever, so I've got to make up something to fit into my SBR buffer  tube.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Really neat design and would be a great SBR in my opinion

I picked one up a couple days ago. It looks as if the BCG rams the back of the lower reciever, so I've got to make up something to fit into my SBR buffer  tube.

Ace receiver plug + folding stock... I don't know what kind of bumper they have for the carrier to hit, but i used Delrin and a thick o-ring in my design, smooths out the "smack" from the carrier...

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking a piece of wood dowel (cut to length) with the delrin disc fastened to the end then inserted into the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I was thinking a piece of wood dowel (cut to length) with the delrin disc fastened to the end then inserted into the buffer tube.

Well if you've got a bufferless upper, why keep a fixed buffer tube?

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Hummm, lets see the PDS pistol upper is not 16" so that means if I want to run the PDS upper in SBR format I would need to put it on my registered SBR lower.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hummm, lets see the PDS pistol upper is not 16" so that means if I want to run the PDS upper in SBR format I would need to put it on my registered SBR lower.

Sure, unless you wanna register the PDS (or other) lower as an SBR

But yeah, if you're going to go back and forth on the uppers on your current SBR, a spacer plug should work, but i'd go with something like solid delrin or a bored-out aluminum bar + delrin (at least 1" long delrin) instead of a 1" wooden dowel.  Would probably work, but may start to dry and split.

Also, make sure your bumper is the same distance from the carrier as the current one, or you could have some parts smack together that were never meant to meet

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Any Range Reports on the PDS pistol??? Been looking around and can't find any write ups. I'm really looking to get one, but would like to hear some feedback first.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Any Range Reports on the PDS pistol??? Been looking around and can't find any write ups. I'm really looking to get one, but would like to hear some feedback first

I had a chance to take out the RR PDS this weekend.
Rock River PDS pistol w/ Trijicon Reflex II
Very loud, low recoil and not bad to shoot in standard pistol shooting hand position(not overly heavy) yet it takes a bit of strength to get back on target.
Even with the Reflex mounted, it's light and compact, and it's easy to keep on target while shooting holding the forearm. It's as accurate as the shooter(me). It fired 90 or 120 flawless rounds. Overall it's a great compact plinker that is really fun to shoot. I would say it's a tad overpriced at $1200 w/o sites but I'm sure if you wait the price will get down to $800-$1000.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any Range Reports on the PDS pistol??? Been looking around and can't find any write ups. I'm really looking to get one, but would like to hear some feedback first

I had a chance to take out the RR PDS this weekend.
Rock River PDS pistol w/ Trijicon Reflex II
Very loud, low recoil and not bad to shoot in standard pistol shooting hand position(not overly heavy) yet it takes a bit of strength to get back on target.
Even with the Reflex mounted, it's light and compact, and it's easy to keep on target while shooting holding the forearm. It's as accurate as the shooter(me). It fired 90 or 120 flawless rounds. Overall it's a great compact plinker that is really fun to shoot. I would say it's a tad overpriced at $1200 w/o sites but I'm sure if you wait the price will get down to $800-$1000.

This miiiiight be my next toy.
Did you mean it fired 90/120 flawlessly? Little concerned!

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you mean it fired 90/120 flawlessly? Little concerned!

All the rounds fired flawlessly. I can't remember if I fired 3 or 4 mags out of it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Will the PDS upper fit on a standard lower?
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Fit? yes.

Function? no, at least not without the proper buffer tube plug.  Haven't seen one up close, but i know the PDS lower has no threads and is solid in the buffer tube tower area.

Link Posted: 1/8/2011 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a PDS Pistol at a local Gun Store last week, it was actually traded back to the dealer, the guy shot it and decided that it wasn't what he was looking for so I got it as a used gun for $1195.00. These things are so hard to find that I gladly paid the money. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but as soon as I do I will post a range report.
     After reading though the owners manual it specifically tells you not to try and use the PDS Upper on anything other than the PDS Lower, it doesn't say why, just don't try it! Also now posted on the RRA PDS Pistol page is a warning not to shoot the PDS with a Silencer, and that Rock River is working on a new gas piston for the PDS Pistol.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I picked up a PDS Pistol at a local Gun Store last week, it was actually traded back to the dealer, the guy shot it and decided that it wasn't what he was looking for so I got it as a used gun for $1195.00. These things are so hard to find that I gladly paid the money. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but as soon as I do I will post a range report.

After reading though the owners manual it specifically tells you not to try and use the PDS Upper on anything other than the PDS Lower, it doesn't say why, just don't try it! Also now posted on the RRA PDS Pistol page is a warning not to shoot the PDS with a Silencer, and that Rock River is working on a new gas piston for the PDS Pistol.

What suppressor would hold up for long on an 8" barrel anyway?

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fit? yes.

Function? no, at least not without the proper buffer tube plug.  Haven't seen one up close, but i know the PDS lower has no threads and is solid in the buffer tube tower area.

RRA needs to SERIOUSLY make a conversion kit. I'd love to toss the 8" upper on my SBR with an ACE folder.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm glad I'm in no rush but I hope RRA will make a version with a chrome-lined or nitrided barrel, that can be suppressed, and can have a folding stock easily added. The stock they use on the 16" carbine uses a rather bulky folding mechanism. It'd be really nice if they made it easy to use on a std lower, maybe with a custom lower receiver plug. This would give me my PDW fix... lightweight folder + M4-2000 =

Has anyone SBR'd one of these yet?
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We have a factory SBR at the same price as the carbine.
Full autos (for LE/Gov/Mil) will be out soon.
We will have a conversion kit towards the end of the year (to use with standard AR lowers).
We'll have chrome-lined barrels yet this year (pistol and carbine lengths).
Two more calibers in PDS configurations also, at least one  of which will be out this year...but both might make it.
The bumper in the rear is a mandatory part and has to be secured (screwed)  into something, hence the solid rear on the current production models.  The conversion kit will use an adaptor and a modified upper.
Steve/RRA

Steve.... Just so I understand you correctly, RRA will be releasing the "complete upper" for sale, and it along with the "conversion kit" mention, you could use this on a standard AR lower?
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I always wanted a AR pistol but hated the buffer tube stiking out.  this looks like the perfect solution and seems like a good price considering its piston driven.  however it appears the barrel is threaded?  is that true?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We will have a conversion kit towards the end of the year (to use with standard AR lowers).
Two more calibers in PDS configurations also, at least one  of which will be out this year...but both might make it.
The bumper in the rear is a mandatory part and has to be secured (screwed)  into something, hence the solid rear on the current production models.  The conversion kit will use an adaptor and a modified upper.
Steve/RRA

Well then, please sell me a chrome lined SBR conversion kit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Steve/RRA

Conversion kits for use on standard lowers...sign me up!!!

Link Posted: 2/22/2011 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#29]
RRAMODERATOR wrote
We have a factory SBR at the same price as the carbine

I've SBR'd my PPS/PDS and I called Rock River last week and the lady told me that they didn't have any of the parts for the folding stocks in production yet. Although I see that a Rock River dealer on another site is boasting that he just got a shipment of the PDS carbine w/ "side folding stock" in?!?!? I just need the folding mechanisim, I was planing on making one myself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I've SBR'd my PPS/PDS and I called Rock River last week and the lady told me that they didn't have any of the parts for the folding stocks in production yet. Although I see that a Rock River dealer on another site is boasting that he just got a shipment of the PDS carbine w/ "side folding stock" in?!?!? I just need the folding mechanisim, I was planing on making one myself.

Try then new Nordic sliding stock, I've got one for when I SBR a couple lowers and It's nice....
Check out THIS THREAD
There's room to install a custom bolt bumper inside the stubby extension as well.  I plan on throwing my bufferless pistol uppers on the SBR lowers...

.22 upper on SBR lower:

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Steve/RRA

I already want one in 5.56, but f one of those other two calibers is 7.62x39, I will not be able to resist the temptation!

Quoted:
Try then new Nordic sliding stock, I've got one for when I SBR a couple lowers and It's nice....

Check out THIS THREAD

There's room to install a custom bolt bumper inside the stubby extension as well.  I plan on throwing my bufferless pistol uppers on the SBR lowers...

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy344/trutim2010/nordicstock.jpg

.22 upper on SBR lower:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=517814&page=9http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=517814&page=9http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/jerad/DSC_0005-1.jpg

That's just too perfect!  The Nordic is IMHO "THE" stock for the PDS PDW.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out THIS THREAD

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy344/trutim2010/nordicstock.jpg

.22 upper on SBR lower:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=517814&page=9http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=517814&page=9http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/jerad/DSC_0005-1.jpg

Thanks a lot $81 poorer
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That stock kit is not designed for use with an upper requiring  either a buffer or a specific recoil system, like the PDS.  It might be fine for a self-contained .22 conversion, but DO NOT  attempt to use ot on a PDS.

Steve/RRA

Unmodified, yes, it would allow the carrier key to slam into the lower (or whatever would impact or bind first on the PDS system in the event of an over-stroke).
I know you have to CYA, but it shouldn't be too difficult to safely replicate the PDS carrier bumper in the Nordic stock for those of us with the means and skill to do so correctly.  (as in don't do it if you don't know what you're doing)

The Nordic has a 1" diameter x 1" deep pocket inside the adapter/mount for potential bumper use.
I have not seen any close-ups of the PDS bumper, could someone provide a picture or two for reference?

I used delrin+urethane and it's held up for 1000's of rounds...
ETA: Here's all that I can find:

ETAA: I like the simple, one-piece "gas key" design.  I hadn't realized the action spring was to the rear of the carrier.  I guess the shorter barrel requires that it go somewhere besides between the gas block and barrel nut.
My system (similar to a ZM) has the action spring on the outside of an extended gas key under the handguard:

ETAAA:  Don't worry, I'm not competition, just a bored engineer...

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That stock kit is not designed for use with an upper requiring  either a buffer or a specific recoil system, like the PDS.  It might be fine for a self-contained .22 conversion, but DO NOT  attempt to use ot on a PDS.
Steve/RRA

Ok - I get the picture - thanks for the warning...  NOW  about that 7.62x39 PDS???  
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Steve, I am going to pray every night that one of the other calibers will be a 6.8.  I will be ordering a couple of them from you if that is one of the calibers.  
You make great products that just plain work without problems.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Steve, I am going to pray every night that one of the other calibers will be a 6.8.  I will be ordering a couple of them from you if that is one of the calibers.  
You make great products that just plain work without problems.

Yeah, Steve already said in the Industry forum that 6.8 was next.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes I did.  6.8 will be the next production caliber offered in the PDS platform (sometime later this year).
Steve/RRA

Steve - thanks for the confirmation on the 6.8... NOW about that 7.62x39 PDS???

I must admit - I have not been this intrigued by a new AR-ish platform since...  um...  I can't even think of one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#43]
I can see that the PDS, registered as a SBR in 6.8 with a side folding stock being the PERFECT Patrol Carbine!

MORE money out the door
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#44]
http://i56.tinypic.com/ib9gtw.jpg
My new RRA PDS Project: Stark Grip, Magpul 20 Rounder, Troy Micro Sights, Insight M6 Light & Laser, Sig Red Dot & Yankee Hill Offset Mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My new RRA PDS Project: Stark Grip, Magpul 20 Rounder, Troy Micro Sights, Insight M6 Light & Laser, Sig Red Dot & Yankee Hill Offset Mount.
You put the light on the gas block? Hmmm...interesting. I assume the light is primarily plastic and even on a piston system, there is heat generated at the gas block. Have you had a chance to put this combination to the test?

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks like an AK bolt to me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://i56.tinypic.com/ib9gtw.jpg

Does the irons clear the light/laser as is?  Also, just curious how you decided to go with an offset mount for your Red dot - are you using the Red Dot as your back up vs primary?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm glad I'm in no rush but I hope RRA will make a version with a chrome-lined or nitrided barrel, that can be suppressed, and can have a folding stock easily added. The stock they use on the 16" carbine uses a rather bulky folding mechanism. It'd be really nice if they made it easy to use on a std lower, maybe with a custom lower receiver plug. This would give me my PDW fix... lightweight folder + M4-2000 =

Exactly my thoughts. I really want a KAC PDW but this SBR'd would be a great substitute if you can mount a more elegant side folder on it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#49]

I've SBR'd mine and now I can't get the parts to mount a stock on it
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#50]
.300 Blackout pleaseeeeeee.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top