Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2010 10:54:07 AM EDT
I know it does not appear to be, but what is the rule on putting a Magpul AFG on a pistol?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
There have been many long threads on this topic, including a fairly current and active one that should show up on the first page of threads right now in the AR Pistol forum.
The short answer is that no one has received an official opinion on this specific grip from the ATF.

The longer and more sensible answer is that the ATF has pretty clearly stated in previous letters that any kind of second grip makes your pistol an AOW.  It doesn't matter if it's vertical or not.

But there is plenty of debate for some reason, so if you want to join in the hunt for loopholes you can find the other thread HERE.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What about the magazine well grip? I suppose it's legal, right? And what if someone comes up with a mag-well grip with more aggressive design that gives "more real estate and better grip" kind of stripped down Magpul AFG? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
if you want an SBR, make or buy an SBR (AOW)

AR pistols aren't some NFA loophole. they are handguns, treat them as such.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
if you want an SBR, make or buy an SBR (AOW)

AR pistols aren't some NFA loophole. they are handguns, treat them as such.

not defending the AFG/pistol thing, but for some people, they cant get a SBR. My state does not allow them. We arent allowed cans either. The only way to get a "SBR" in MI is to have a AR pistol. so for the person that wants to make their AR pistol as close to their full length carbine as possilbe, while still keeping everything short, it is a very legit concern.

not every state is as free as the next.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I understand that some states do not allow SBR's. That is the nature of the beast, or state you reside in and it's failings concerning gun laws.
Every time someone pushes the envelope with "can I use XYZ on my AR pistol", knowing it's purpose is to make a pistol an SBR without the paper work, it puts the AR pistol legality in jeopardy.
Then you will hear "How will we know if we don't ask?" Common sense.

Cane tips on the buffer tube. I know the purpose. Don't you think the ATF can figure that out?
AFG. Grip pod, hand stops. Is it worth not having the AR pistol at all?
And on top of that, just because the BATF sends you a letter saying you can doesn't apply to the next guy and very well may not hold up in a court ruling.

I have SBR's. I live in a free state. I have one pistol lower just so I can cross state lines or keep a loaded AR in my vehicle if I choose. So for me, it's not the end of the fun if AR pistols are outlawed. But for the guys that can't have SBR's, it would suck.

I know people would rather not believe this but with the current administration, all it would take is a close look.
Think about what is at risk and then ask yourself if it's worth it.
Dave
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There have been many long threads on this topic, including a fairly current and active one that should show up on the first page of threads right now in the AR Pistol forum.

The short answer is that no one has received an official opinion on this specific grip from the ATF.

The longer and more sensible answer is that the ATF has pretty clearly stated in previous letters that any kind of second grip makes your pistol an AOW.  It doesn't matter if it's vertical or not.

But there is plenty of debate for some reason, so if you want to join in the hunt for loopholes you can find the other thread HERE.

Supposedly the guy from the other active thread has received a letter and will post it soon.

Except that the letter specifically stated 'vertical' in it.

Also, I think it's funny how people say things like, "Even if the AFG is said to be OK by the ATF, don't take their statement as law!" and yet the letter on VFGs is no contest with most people.    Don't give me the cane tip crap either.  That letter specifically stated for what purpose the cane tip was ok.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top