Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 11:52:23 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy my first sbr. I want to buy a 10.5" AR.  Can I order the upper right off the internet with out any problems. Then once I buy the lower how do I register it for a SBR??  Please help? Would like to order it today. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any other AR lowers around?  If so, do not buy the upper first.  In fact, it is much better to buy the lower first and get it SBRed before you even think about buying the SBR upper.  Or you can build a pistol and keep it a pistol, do the SBR paperwork on the pistol and when it comes back go out and buy the stock to put on it, but not before you get the approved Form 1 back.
If you buy the upper first, then the lower especially if it is your only AR or you only have rifle ARs, during the time you are waiting to SBR it you are in violation since the only way that upper and your only lower can be assembled is into an illegal SBR.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
Do you have any other AR lowers around?  If so, do not buy the upper first.  In fact, it is much better to buy the lower first and get it SBRed before you even think about buying the SBR upper.  Or you can build a pistol and keep it a pistol, do the SBR paperwork on the pistol and when it comes back go out and buy the stock to put on it, but not before you get the approved Form 1 back.
If you buy the upper first, then the lower especially if it is your only AR or you only have rifle ARs, during the time you are waiting to SBR it you are in violation since the only way that upper and your only lower can be assembled is into an illegal SBR.

Thanks Big-Bore. So if I order the upper today I shouldn't use it until I buy a lower and register it. I do have a couple of Bushmasters currently.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What BB is eluding too is you shouldn't buy the short upper at all especially since you already own a couple of AR's, unless the potential for jail time is on your top ten list of things to do.  Buy a pistol lower first, and then you can safely buy the short upper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:

Thanks Big-Bore. So if I order the upper today I shouldn't use it until I buy a lower and register it. I do have a couple of Bushmasters currently.

Technically, if you purchase (order) a short upper (or possess a short upper) and you don't own a pistol lower, but you do own (or possess) a rifle lower (regardless if it's got an upper on it), then your intent is to produce an illegal short barreled rifle (which is the same as possessing an illegal short barreled rifle).  The penalties are the same.  

It is irrelevant whether you "use" it or not.  

However, it appears perfectly legal to own an AR-15 rifle and AR-15 pistol at the same time even though one could slap that pistol upper on the rifle anytime you feel like it although you never would because that's not your intention.  Oh, that old "intent" thing is tricky, ain't it?  It's sort of like never knowing if a tree falling in the woods actually makes a sound if no one's around to here it.  Or not.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Technically, if you purchase (order) a short upper (or possess a short upper) and you don't own a pistol lower, but you do own (or possess) a rifle lower (regardless if it's got an upper on it), then your intent is to produce an illegal short barreled rifle (which is the same as possessing an illegal short barreled rifle).  The penalties are the same.  

It is irrelevant whether you "use" it or not.  

However, it appears perfectly legal to own an AR-15 rifle and AR-15 pistol at the same time even though one could slap that pistol upper on the rifle anytime you feel like it although you never would because that's not your intention.  Oh, that old "intent" thing is tricky, ain't it?  It's sort of like never knowing if a tree falling in the woods actually makes a sound if no one's around to here it.  Or not.

Thanks guys, That clears up some issues I was wondering about. Guess I will be buying a lower and registering it first as a sbr. Thanks again

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top