Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 12:02:58 PM EDT
I have some questions about building a pistol out of a lower that I bought in a face to face deal.  No steps to build or anything other than the lower has been bought yet.  Before i get going I want to make sure all is legal.  I already have several ARs.  Here are my questions:

1.  The lower is a stag that has never been built into anything and is completely mint but it is not registered to me at all.  Do I have to register it as a pistol in PA?

2.  Does it have to be registered to me at all?  

3.  What is the best 7" upper for the buck(model 1 or the RRA)?

Thanks,
Ghilly
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would probably take it to a FFL and have it transfered to me as a pistol receiver.  I would buy a upper from CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
1. Anything but a rifle.  Pistol, component reciever or igloo works.
2. Yes Unless you plan on committing a crime, then no.
3. CMMG(DPMS kittykat upper) or Model 1 Sales.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Under federal law ( I know nothing of PA law) you do not have to register the pistol, nor must you have it signed out as a pistol. The law only requires that it never have been configured as a rifle. However, you might be called upon to show that it was never assembled as a rifle. Thats where having a virgin receiver signed out as a pistol comes in handy. Yours, FWIW, if it is ever traced, will be traced down to the original dealer who sold it as a rifle.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Am I the only one that gets massively confused over gun "laws"?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Am I the only one that gets massively confused over gun "laws"?

No. Judging by what I have seen, even the legislature and the ATF are confused by them. Probably has something to do with how stupid they are.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
You want confused gun laws, come over to our side of the country..
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that I will just order an essential arm forged lower sent to my ffl.  This way I will be sure and save the stag for a rifle of some sort.

Thanks,
Ghilly
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that I will just order an essential arm forged lower sent to my ffl.  This way I will be sure and save the stag for a rifle of some sort.

Good idea! I'm going to exactly the same thing. I've purchased 4 lower receivers through my local FFL, and every one of the 4473's says "rifle". I just didn't know any better!
I don't know yet, but I'll bet that Essential Arms would be happy to add a line on the invoice/receipt stating that this particular lower had never been assembled into a rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top