Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 1:15:23 AM EDT
Yeah I know it would be kinda goofy looking but would that still make the gun into a aow?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I seem to remember something about a foregrip perpendicular to the axis of the bore, which would cover a side grip, but I may be comfusing the "old" AWB or the Columbus, Ohio weapons ban.  I will do furter research and try to find the correct source for my vague memory.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
No, you are correct.  The second grip must be parallel to the bore just like a normal forend, which afterall is nothing but a second grip is it not?  If it is perpendicular to the bore, vertical, horizontal, or up-side-down, then it is a second grip, ergo in the ATFE's opinion, making it an AOW.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
the ATF explanations that i have seen posted of why a VERTICAL forward pistol grip makes a pistol into an AOW is that it still allows the gun to be "concealable" AND the gun is now designed to be used with 2 hands.

A HORIZONTAL forward pistol grip should not make it concealable since it could no longer lie flat, or easilly hide behind a coat. This would remove one deffination of an AOW that plagues the Vertical forward grip.

only one way to be sure....ask the ATF.....Everything else is just speculation
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, you are correct.  The second grip must be parallel to the bore just like a normal forend, which afterall is nothing but a second grip is it not?  If it is perpendicular to the bore, vertical, horizontal, or up-side-down, then it is a second grip, ergo in the ATFE's opinion, making it an AOW.

I pistol is designed to be fired with one hand, an AOW is a firearm designed to be fired with two hands that doesn't meet the definitions of a rifle, SBR, SBS or shotgun.  Thus, All Other Weapons.

In short, it would make it into an AOW.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
AOW definition form (www.quarterbore.com/nfa/sbr-aow-pistol.html):
"...any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12" or more, less than 18" in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition." 26 USC sec. 5845(e).

notice capability of being concealed is a requirement for AOW, also notice a pistol with a rifled bore is excluded from being an AOW.

nowhere does it mention that an AOW is designed to be used with 2 hands....But i do believe the definition of Pistol says it is designed to be used with only one hand.

this is interesting, because it doesn't meet the definition of AOW, or Pistol since it is not concealable, and it is designed to be used with 2 hands.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]
You may want to try the Command Arms Light Mount that is PARALLEL to The Bore.  Just put a Surefire G2 Nitrolon in it and your good to go.  Here's a pic.

www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=43&cID=19

I got a 6" Tape Switch for the Surefire Nitrolon, can't remember where from, but it was a simple replacement for the Tail Cap.

Chief
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
That rocks!!! I wanted a light source on my AR15 pistol, but didn't want it getting in the way of holding the foregrip. Smart add-on component!

Thx Chief!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top