Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:59:37 AM EDT
Post ban /no ban OA93's go for around a grand, prebans seem to go for twice that [still].

Why is this, and what are the advantages of the preban gun?

The example I can think of is new vs old Kel-tec sub 2000 carbines.  The old ones are metal, sturdy, and worth more, the newerines are plastic, cheaper looking and worth much less because of it, despite the fact that the newer ones seem to shoot just as well.

So, in an emperical sense, what am I gaining by forking over the extra dough for the older gun?  The question isn't specifically about price, it's more about the difference between old and new.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a post-ban model and it's solid as a rock (and heavy as one).  The pre-ban guns are going for obscene amounts and I cannot fathom why.  I can see no difference, and having talked with the folks at OLY and on the Olympic Arms Owner's Association, there is no difference in the 93's from before or after the ban.  It could be that people are selling them at that price because they can.  No good reason from what I can see - as an owner.

-HK-
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that a significant number of states have assault weapon bans that did not sunset with the Federal ban.  In these states the pre-ban models are still legal, therefore prices are high since they can be legally owned in these states.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Keep in mind that a significant number of states have assault weapon bans that did not sunset with the Federal ban.  In these states the pre-ban models are still legal, therefore prices are high since they can be legally owned in these states.  

I keep forgetting that some states are still behind the "iron curtain"......
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
So, since Illinois dosent have it's own AWB [yet]  there isn't any good reason to part with the extra coin for a preban?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So, since Illinois dosent have it's own AWB [yet]  there isn't any good reason to part with the extra coin for a preban?

Sounds like the answer to me - I hadn't thought about the state-specific AWB's.... living in the Great State of Texas, I forget that others have to contend with such nonsense.

-HK-
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Nope.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top