Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 10:36:03 PM EDT
I have read through many of the posts here looking for info on the legalities of the pistol build but am still a bit confused. Last year I bought two brand new, stripped Mega lowers. I used one for my first AR carbine build. The other one is still in the box waiting. It has had nothing done to it at all. No stock, barrel, trigger, NADA! Can I use this for a pistol build without fear of any legal issues regarding using a "rifle" lower to build a pistol? Lots of conflicting info and just wanted to be clear before I start gathering the parts. Thanks gang!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked the same question before I bought my pistol lower, this is what I understand:

the lower receiver you want to make your pistol from, must be listed on your bill of sale / registration papers etc as a lower receiver for a pistol (or something to that effect)

you cannot take a lower that was sold/listed/registered as a rifle and use that to make a pistol

you can take your pistol and put a stock on it (AFTER YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR AND RECEIVED YOUR SBR PERMIT) and make a SBR. You can then make it back into a pistol when you want.

Does that answer your question? If  I've given you bad info, others will be along to correct me. You should be able to find this info in the tacked threads.

Good luck and be sure to post pics.

Gene

ps  check with RB Percision, I picked up one of their "blemished lowers" (marked and sold as a pistol) for $75.00

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
the tacked thread up top states any virgin lower can be built into a pistol having it filed as just a lower or pistol on the 4473 would probably help if there were any legal problem came up.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I've had this lower since last summer. Since I work in Iraq my wife went to the gun shop that did the transfer and actually picked them up. Would/Should we have been given a copy of a 4473? Would an FFL still have that info on file (are they required to keep it)? All I know is that when I went home on R&R I had all the parts there waiting to be put together plus one extra receiver. I'll be going home in a few weeks so if I need to I can swing by his place and find out.

If I'm reading your replies correct then I should be good to go, right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]
unless she asked for a copy then she wouldnt have it and the ffl has to keep it for their records.

if its a virgin lower you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Great! Thanks Ek!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top