Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:07:19 PM EDT
I have had my eye open for a shoulder holster or thigh holster for my 11.5" pistol for a while now.  I found a shoulder holster that fits once you open the sewn muzzle end.  It also looks as if it is easily adamptable to a crossdraw thigh holster, or standard draw.  It is black cordura, and fits pistols with carry handles also.  The holster covers the handle to about the rear sights on top and up to the mag well on the bottom side.  The top of the FSB just protrudes from the muzzle end.  Only problems I've run across is that you have to cut the stitching at the closed muzzle end and resew it at about 1" back from the curve of the muzzle end of the holster to allow the FSB and muzzle to clear and there is no positive retention in the holster other than the grip of the holster on the pistol itself as the top closure strap is too short for now.  Oh yeah, and the pistol weighs a ton, but it is fairly well balanced in the holster.  I don't plan on concealed carry with it, but as somewhere to stash it while hunting or target shooting it works well.  I imagine it could be easily converted to a thigh rig and may do so later if the shoulder harness idea gets to be too annoying.

Oh yeah, it's from Uncle Mike's.  I found it at Outdoor Outfitters and the website on the package is www.michaels-oregon.com.  The holster is the 8503-1 R/H size 3 Scoped Vertical Shoulder Holster.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Update since I'm back from the road and have access to my digital camera.  I got on the website and found they have the same pic for all the rigs so here are a few I took with my 11.5 pistol in the rig.  Now that I've gotten the newly opened muzzle end opened and resewn I see that the front sling swivel will have to be removed so that the weapon goes in and out easier.  No biggie, I don't use it anyway.  The pistol fits well, but the whole thing is just too large for any sort of concealed carry but for a convenient holster when I need both hands free it's great.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You wouldve been a match for Charles Bronson in any of those Death Wish movies
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, it's from Uncle Mike's.  I found it at Outdoor Outfitters and the website on the package is www.michaels-oregon.com.  The holster is the 8503-1 R/H size 3 Scoped Vertical Shoulder Holster.  

FYI: MidwayUSA's number is 492550 for this model, if anyone is curious.

Interesting concept shown in some of your pics; It's sort of a belt-and-suspenders sort of thing to holster a pistol with a sling, but I can see its advantages.

Does it look like it would fit a flattop with a 30mm reddot on it?

Thanks.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Noner, with the front sling swivel moved forward or tied forward then there is plenty of room for the standard front sight, but when left pivoted back the swivel is wide enough to push the opening too wide and not tall enough for the FSB to pass through the opening.  With that out of the way the entry/exit is very smooth.

Otto, I don't have a flattop upper to try, but by putting my 30mm cheapo red dot approximately where it would be on a flattop then it looks to fit.  However without the actual upper I won't commit 100% to saying, but it looks to fit from what I can see.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Just for reference, here is the old M2 shoulder rig - I finally found the zip drive with the pics.

M2 Corp M16 shoulder rig

Lem
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly unrelated except I'll pick up one the holster and try with a flattop next time I'm at the gun store

what type of buffer setup is that ?

Barry
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm running the M1S buffer setup.  Same spring they sent with the 7.62x39 upper kit.  I haven't had much in the way of problems with it after a short break in.  I use barnaul blue box and it cycles fine, but the wolf won't fire or chamber 3 in a row without $h!tt!ng all over itself.  In fact, it runs fine with anything else I've tried in it too.  It's not 99.9% reliable, but I'd rate it in the high 90's which is fine for having fun at the range and on the ranch.  I expect the spring will start wearing out soon since I'm at around 500 rounds on the stock spring.  When it does I'll get a 1911 spring and see how that works for me.  I just like the shorter look of the M1S 'buffer' and the weight may help balance out the long barrel too.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I like that M2 Corp holster.  I'd love to get one of those for my Carbon 15 pistol!

I was looking for a shoulder holster for my Beretta Neos 22LR the other day and had to do something similar to that Mike's Holster.  Too bad I can't git my red dot on top of it with that holster.

Good job finding a holster to fit the AR Pistol though.  I may have to get one of those!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tip on the holster.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.....idea....

edit-

About the M2 "sling"  ..... the thing just hung there on the hook?  Nothing to keep the barrel from swinging back and forth as one walked....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, there was never an issue with the weapon "swinging" - at least none I ever heard expressed, and they sold several hundred of those to the diplomatic protectection forces in several countries.  

With an 8 inch weapon, most of it is under your arm.  

Lem

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm running the M1S buffer setup.  Same spring they sent with the 7.62x39 upper kit.  I haven't had much in the way of problems with it after a short break in.  I use barnaul blue box and it cycles fine, but the wolf won't fire or chamber 3 in a row without $h!tt!ng all over itself.  In fact, it runs fine with anything else I've tried in it too.  It's not 99.9% reliable, but I'd rate it in the high 90's which is fine for having fun at the range and on the ranch.  I expect the spring will start wearing out soon since I'm at around 500 rounds on the stock spring.  When it does I'll get a 1911 spring and see how that works for me.  I just like the shorter look of the M1S 'buffer' and the weight may help balance out the long barrel too.  

Thanks rsc

I'll try running something other than Wolf :)

but it seems I can't get a fully closed bolt in just dropping the bolt on a fresh mag

I'm running a 23 pound wolf and have tried a spacer behind the spring

trying downloading mags next time out

gun runs fine with a CAR tube/buffer setup but I'm in no way happy with as much hanging off the back of the pistol as the front

well I'm stubborn so I'll keep trying

Barry
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know for sure if it would work for an AR15 pistol, but I have a drill gun holster I bought at Home Depot for $9 which works perfectly for my scoped Savage Striker (bolt action 14" barreled hand cannon). I suspect that it would also fit an AR.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#15]
bumpity!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top