Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 5:58:10 AM EDT
hey guys!  im considering a new bushmaster carbon pistol in 223 and id like some advice on wether  it would be reliable enough for self defense?   i mean.  would you guys depend on one of these in life threatening situation?  also why doesnt it have a forward assist and a dust cover over the ejection port?  all help appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
7.5" barrel is too short on them to get the 75gr and 77gr bullets to speeds they will fragment reliably, and the 75 or 77 gr bullets are about the only thing good out of a short barrel. Realistically, the practical barrel length is in the 10" area.

For a range toy or blasting the Bushmaster would be great.. from all accounts they are very reliable as well, but if you want something for those special occasions, I'd get a 10.5-11.5" setup, the added velocity is worth having a bit more length.

I like having the foward assist and the dust cover, though could do without if I had to, but if the option is there.. why not have it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it would be a bad idea.  Choose anything that is not a hybrid.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I would use one for self defense. Just use soft point ammo. You figure 2200 – 2300 fps with a 55gr soft point is not too bad.

You may have to work with it a bit to get it reliable enough to bet your life on.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top