Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 9:35:01 AM EDT
Tired of the BS below and in emails IM's from people who don't read the damn FAQ.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I cant wait to see it done Brother,hope you get it done soonhave.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, looks like this will be the cheapest pistol upper built by anyone, ever.  I even have come up with a very intereesting handguard solution for shorty barrels.  I hope to have it 100% finished by Friday and will finally get a pic up!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
How short is the barrel?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#4]
7.5"

It has been a bit of a pain as it is a cut-down M16A1 barrel, and only can use a 0.625" FSB.  But I have come up with a couple of creative solutions to solve problems along the way.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics? :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I just took some yesterday, but haven't had time to post.  I also managed to bend up the gas tube by accident, so I don't know if it will work on the first try.  But I'll try to get pics up tonight or tomorrow at the latest!

Dawg
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump with pics!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good Dawg. Very creative. Let us know how she spits lead.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow that looks great!
HGa look really good!
Just one problem... your buffer might get you in trouble!
I would love to see how you did the HG...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wow that looks great!
HGa look really good!

Looks great.....but I was thinking the same thing about the buffer tube.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
That tube is fine, as long has he doesn't posses a stock that can easily go on it.

I really like that build, looks sharp!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow that looks great!
HGa look really good!

The buffer tube is completely legal as long as no stock is placed on it.  This has been covered many times in other threads.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow that looks great!
HGa look really good!

The buffer tube is completely legal as long as no stock is placed on it.  This has been covered many times in other threads.

Hopefully saying it just once will keep your thread from being trashed..

Out of curiousity, did the barrel come cut to that length?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the barrel was cut to that length when I got it.

It appears that the barrel was an M16A1 barrel that was very, very used and then chopped down, lathed a bit so the FSB would slip over it to the proper point, and had a new gas hole drilled.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
"It appears that the barrel was an M16A1 barrel that was very, very used and then chopped down,"

Did you check headspace or the throat for severe erosion
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"It appears that the barrel was an M16A1 barrel that was very, very used and then chopped down,"

Did you check headspace or the throat for severe erosion

LOL, well, actually...no I didn't now that you mention it.  I hav no expectations of it being accurate.  I did a bullet muzzle test and there was still a good 1/8" to 3/16" of bullet showing.  

You make a good point, I'll see if I can borrow some gauges before I shoot this weekend.  Like my dad said when let me use his drill press "looks real interesteing...just don't blow your hand off."
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#17]
sweet setup and killer deal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I gave the pistol upper a whirl and it cycled OK for the first coupe of rounds, but after that the empties began to stick in the chamber.  Not only did they stick, when I kocked them out with a cleaning rod you could see where the extractor had ripped the rim right off trying to pull it out because the chamber is too rough.

Oh well, I guess that is what you get for a used barrel.  After looking at it I suspect the barrel may be an early M16 non-chrome lined one, and one that was not cleaned well as there was a bit of pitting on many surfaces.  I am going to try poliching the chamber a bit to see if that helps and if not I'll just sell the barrel on the EE for cheap and throw in the other barrel I got with it.

On the upside it looks liek the converted 9mm upper is good to go, and the handguards worked fine, so althgouh not a perfect day, my overall plan is sound as long as I can get it to extract reliably.  

One of the range officers watched me fire it and said "whoa, that is one heck of a ghetto blaster you got there!"
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow that looks great!
HGa look really good!

Actually that buffer looks like it's off a collapable stock....and could cause problems unless it was modified in a way that it could not possiblby be converted back to one.....and from the pix it doesn't look like it was modified.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow that looks great!
HGa look really good!

Actually that buffer looks like it's off a collapable stock....and could cause problems unless it was modified in a way that it could not possiblby be converted back to one.....and from the pix it doesn't look like it was modified.....

Oh for **edited by me** sake read the ATF letter. ---> www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=245366

I get so tired of getting lectured about this issue when it is legal to use a carbine buffer tube AS LONG AS IT HAS NEVER BEEN USED OR WILL BE USED WITH A STOCK.  

There is no difference between using this or an "entry" stock tube.  Both could theoretically be used to mount a stock.  And no matter what tube I am using IN NO INSTANCE WILL I EVER BE MOUNTING A STOCK ON THIS PISTOL.

If it makes you sleep better at night, I keep the upper and the lower locked away separatley and have no stock that can be mounted on the weapon.  I also have a pair of trunk monkeys that wait patiently in my gun locker for anyone who comes to assemble this weapon in an illegal configuration and will beat that person to death AND who have been trained to smash to pieces any buttstock that should appear in a magical cloud of smoke which could possibly make this an illegal weapon.

Furthermore, I currently have the buffer tube wrapped in paracord, and am switching over to a shorty pistol buffer when I can afford to chop down a bolt carrier ala Bushmaster style.  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top