Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2005 11:52:15 AM EDT
I tried search and archive-came up with zilch.  One info thread the poster stated it's "legally registered as a pistol."  But my question is, is the AR pistol legally universally recognized as a pistol?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
So long as it is built from a virgin receiver, yes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So long as it is built from a virgin receiver, yes.

Virgin as in-"built your own?"

If you buy one from Bushmaster, what is it classified as?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My pistol is marked "Pistol Only" and is sold as superior arms pistol lower. It is just that simple.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
AR Pistol="regular" pistol?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Universaly recognised as a pistol. Pistol meaning sold with no stock ever on it ,and 4473 as a pistol. Convertable to a carbine with a stock after a fixed 16 in upper is applied.
A pistol AR can always be a Carbine, but a rifle lower  never can have a barrel shorter than 16 in unless a SBR licence is applied for..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Virgin uppers have not been assembled into anything. If you build it first as a pistol, it is always a pistol(can go to rifle and back to pistol, but a rifle can ONLY be a rifle).

If a virgin lower has a shoulder stock put on it, it becomes a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]
as long as it was not marked as "rifle" on the 4473, came stripped, never had a stock mounted
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My pistol is marked "Pistol Only" and is sold as superior arms pistol lower. It is just that simple.

img277.imageshack.us/img277/9466/pistolbuild28ig.jpg

Holly crap that is the longest barrel I have ever seen on a pistol!
More pics please!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
It is 13 inches total, and is a 10.5 HB with atotal length 12in FFtube of fiberglass. I use a cheek weld, and its recoil is so mild I can double tap up to 50 yds. It looks akward but it shoots well at rifle distances.
All non EE marked parts were from RB Precision.

Ok what I have is a Superior arms lower, and a flat top upper from RB precision ,with a aimpoint, a 10.5 BBL, a low pro gas block that is a cut down A2 front sight, A pistol buffer tube from RB precision, and a oversized trap door grip.

When I thought this one up I was looking at this awesome fiberglass FFtube from the EE. It is a armalite FFtube, and it is 12 inches long, and I thought " WOW that looks like a supressor..... cool."

So from that 35$ investment was born my newest build. The barrel is 13 inches overall with a cutoff cheapo dissipator, and it is a HB so there is plenty of weight.  I also found a chromed bolt for it.

Barrel                $125 EE
Upper & lower     $185
Buffer tube         $25
Sling mount        $7
Aimpoint             $200
FFtube                $35  EE
Lower parts kit     $40(DPMS)  EE
front sight base    $5  (cut down)
Compleete bolt     $120 ( Chrome)  GB
Charge handle      $20
Gass tube            $10  EE
Every thing else was just laying around. All non EE marked parts are new. Total $$$$658

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Some clairification please....

If I were to build a "pistol" from a virgin receiver, it would be classified as a pistol not a rifle...

If I put a "stock" on my "pistol" it becomes a rifle?

The reason I ask is I would like a ar-15 "pistol" in 9mm with a tele stock on it.  Would that be a pistol or a SBR?

If it's a SBR, would it be easier to buy a new one (i.e. the new busmaster 9mm) register it as a SBR and put a tele stock on it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If built and registered as a pistol it can not legaly have a stock on it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Once it's a pistol, it CAN become a rifle. This was the case with the Thompson Contenders. It needs to be a PISTOL first, and CAN NOT HAVE a sub 16" barrel installed at the same time as the stock.

So, remove the pistol upper, install the stock, install the rifle upper! To go back to pistol, simply remove the stock, remove the rifle upper, and install the pistol upper.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
AR Pistol="regular" pistol?

You live in Illinois.
Check and then double check.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't want to hijack this thread but I can't figure this one out:

If you have a registered Pistol Lower and you apply for SBR on that lower will it still stay a registered pistol lower or does the SBR stamp queer things and re-register that lower as a rifle?

Probably trying to read too much into this but I just was not sure & thought the gurus here might have heard this before.

With an SBR stamp on a pistol lower it will be able to cover all the bases unless the above screws it up.

What do yall think?

Thanks, FH
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't want to hijack this thread but I can't figure this one out:

If you have a registered Pistol Lower and you apply for SBR on that lower will it still stay a registered pistol lower or does the SBR stamp queer things and re-register that lower as a rifle?

Probably trying to read too much into this but I just was not sure & thought the gurus here might have heard this before.

With an SBR stamp on a pistol lower it will be able to cover all the bases unless the above screws it up.

What do yall think?

Thanks, FH

It turns it into a rifle (Short Barrelled Rifle).
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#16]
FontanaHorseman,

The above screws it up.  I turned my AR Pistol into an SBR.  The second my Form1 was approved and the Tax Stamp was stuck on my form, the AR Pistol seased to be a pistol and will always be an SBR regardless of what upper I have on it or if I take the stock off and put the pistol buffer back on.  If I switch it back to a pistol and try to take it to another state for an afternoon of shooting, I am in violation of the law unless I fill out the ATF paperwork to temporarilly cross state lines with an NFA item.  The registered NFA item is the lower and will stay that way unless I request to have it removed from the NFA Registry.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
FontanaHorseman,

The above screws it up.  I turned my AR Pistol into an SBR.  The second my Form1 was approved and the Tax Stamp was stuck on my form, the AR Pistol seased to be a pistol and will always be an SBR regardless of what upper I have on it or if I take the stock off and put the pistol buffer back on.  If I switch it back to a pistol and try to take it to another state for an afternoon of shooting, I am in violation of the law unless I fill out the ATF paperwork to temporarilly cross state lines with an NFA item.  The registered NFA item is the lower and will stay that way unless I request to have it removed from the NFA Registry.

MadDog hinking.gif

OK, that makes sense.

BUT...with an SBR designation, can you put a pistol buffer on that lower (and thus have your pistol anyway) without getting into trouble???

Or am I making this way too confusing?

Thanks folks, FH
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#18]
YES, you can set it up as a pistol but the lower is still registered in the NFA Registry as an SBR and must conform to all rules regulating NFA SBR's.  Set it up an shoot is like a pistol, who cares?  But if you take it out of state in a "pistol configuration" you must still file the paperwork for temporary transfer and you must keep a copy of your Form1 with the now "Pistol".

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

img277.imageshack.us/img277/9466/pistolbuild28ig.jpg

1IV~

I really like what you have there. Would you mind posting some more info on what you put on there? I just ordered a blemished lower for pistol from RB percision and I would like to set mine up like that. Could you list who made what parts (buffer tube, ff tube etc)?

Thank you,

Gene

ps  some more pics would be cool too.   Damn nice looking rig.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top