Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 8:36:41 AM EDT
I have a CMMG 7.3" Pistol.  I'm using an "H" Buffer.  Been thinking about getting an "H3" (5.6oz)Buffer.

What buffer is the best for 5,56 Pistols?
If heavier is better, what about the Tungsten Bolt Carrier add-in weights?
Could a heavy buffer ruin the threads on the Threads for the Buffer Tube on the Receiver Ring??

Found this in the EE---Looks like good info--just saw it today Thursday 15DEC05

Chief

Edited to add the Weight Chart
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Chief,

It depends on what you want the gun to do:

Reliability -- Go with a CAR buffer and standard CAR buffer.
Size/Weight -- Go with the Bushy Buffer system.

Only if you have function problems should you consider anything outside of these.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a CMMG 7.3" Pistol.  I'm using an "H" Buffer.  Been thinking about getting an "H3" (5.6oz)Buffer.

What buffer is the best for 5,56 Pistols?
If heavier is better, what about the Tungsten Bolt Carrier add-in weights?

Chief

I have a CMMG pistol upper and I run a 9mm buffer from RRA. I think its heavier than a h3. Not sure. All I know its made of steel and with it in my pistol that thing runs awesome..

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the heavier buffer...  I use the standard 9mm buffer myself...  It tends to slow the bolt down a little but I have not had any failures using it...  I use it with the AR pistol as well as the M4 Carbine...  I am using a carbine length buffer tube with my pistol and my barrel is a 11.5-in Bushmaster upper.

So, it may be a little different with your 7.5...

Nice thing is buffers are cheap!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
i was under the impression that the ace system was the shiznit?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a CMMG 7.5" upper and an ACE pistol buffer tube.  I'm running an H buffer and it works but I'm still cycling too fast (i.e. overfunction).  I was using a standard carbine buffer and it was unacceptable in my gun.  Even though it has proven mostly reliable with an H buffer, ejected cartridges still show some distress on the case rim where the extractor grabs it.  I'd like to go with a heavier unit but just haven't gotten around to it.  I'm fairly certain something heavier than an H buffer will get me into a "sweet-spot" of cycle speed.

Also, with the H buffer it cycles so damn fast and violently that it seems like wear-and-tear is increased.  I haven't noticed anything specific but it feels hard on the gun.  This is especially noticable while bumping (which it does beautifuly).
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I too have the CMMG 7 inch upper on my pistol and also run the ACE entry length CAR lenth tube (the same they use in the pistol kit but when I did mine ACE did not make it all in kit form for a pistol; since I gave them the idea I wonder if I should expect royalties?).  I am running the DPMS heavy buffer, 5.2 ounce IIRC, and it runs perfectly.  Bump firing is OK but with the two stage NM WOA tuned trigger it does not seem to want to run more than 5-10 rounds before stopping, not jaming, just stopping, or maybe I need more practice.  That's it, I need more practice!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top