Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 10:39:58 PM EDT
Okay, here's what it's made from:

- Mega "Gator" Stripped lower
- Bushmaster Buffer System with factory bolt.
- DPMS "Lo-Pro" upper
- OlyArms 6.5" barrel with trimmed front sight base
- DPMS aluminum handguards cut to fit over sight base and para-wrapped
- YHM Phantom Flash suppressor.
- OlyArms lower parts kit
- Rubber "Ergo Grip"
- Set screw for rear takedown pin retention.
- OAS sight system

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I actually like how that upper receiver looks :)

Nice looking pistol.. hopefully I can share mine in a couple weeks
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#2]
BadgerA,

What is the "Set screw for rear takedown pin retention"?
If it's what I think it is, I think I need it, because my Ace buffer tube sling mount keeps rotating out of place which causes the  rear takedown pin spring tp come free.
If this set screw isn't intending to capture the spring, do you have any ideas on how I can address this issue (or that of the rotating sling mount)?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
do you have any ideas on how I can address this issue (or that of the rotating sling mount)?

Thanks.

i jsut use a receiver end plate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:41:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice job.  Looks good.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Very Cool Looking

I've always wondered how those DPMS Low-Pro Uppers would look on a Pistol.

Where are those OAS Sight System's available and how much do they run?
I've been toying with the idea of using a set screw for the Rear Takedown Pin Spring retention.

Like I said Very Cool Looking

Chief
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is the "Set screw for rear takedown pin retention"?

Check out the tacked 'Bushy Buffer Tube" thread here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=253140 and I'll post a picture below.  Basically tap the hole with a 4/40 tap, cut a few loops off the spring, and install a set screw w/locktite.  Super easy and cheap.

Quoted:

Olympic Arms makes the OAS or "Olympic Arms Sight."  It's actually a 1911 sight that's mounted on a new aluminum rail.  Not too happy with how it mounts... there's set-screws that go through the top.  The problem is that the two set-screws don't line up with the picatinny rail slots!?  Why wouldn't they make them line up.  What's worse, they are too large to screw down into the slots... ARRgghhh.  I took them and chucked them up in a drill to trim them down on the grinder so they fit the slots and I only installed one.  Will try to get to the range today and see how well it works.  Don't think I'll lose zero or anything.  Ran around $100 IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Chief

Have you taken a look at JPs version?  LINK and price is $100 ....
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
MartyW,  Thank you for the info on the JP-SRTS.
Probably be a good backup system for the AR Pistol.
Thinking that the Pistol will have a Laser, still not sure of other sight's yet.
Always open to new ideas.  I should have my Pistol done soon, Just received the MI-20 FF Railed Forearm from Bravo up in WI.  Will be mounting it tonight along with the Noveske Krink FH.  Hopeing it turns out nice.

Thanks,
Chief
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
At the range, I noted a few things.  First, BOB IS LOUD.  He barks.  He's especially loud when I'm shooting from the hip.  Watching for muzzle flash, I noted SIGNIFICANTLY less muzzle flash than when I was shooting "Phil," my 11.5" with an A2 flash hider.  Phil is getting a Phantom tonight.  I like the boom, don't like the flash.

Also noticed how accurate he was.  The 1911 sights really seemed to do the trick.  It was like shooting a heavy revolver, but with less muzzle jump.  I was surprised that there was as much recoil as there was.

I also had several FtL's (Failure to Lock).  I'm going to attribute this initially to the newness of the gun.  I'd imagine that after the parts wear in a bit, it'll hum along much better.  I'd also suspect that the spring is not powerful enough, but then again I swapped springs with Phil and Phil ran just fine with the same spring?  One other possible cause was the lack of lube.  I hadn't lubricated anything, I just shot it clean and dry.  The temp was about 25 degrees, so I don't think weather was to blame.

Sights were nearly right on and only required two clicks left and two up to zero.  The sight rail didn't shoot loose and I was able to get decent COM groups.  More accurate than my 1911, but the bullet holes were harder to see!  The handguard stayed comfortable to hold even after long strings and an obviously hot barrel.  It was also comfortable to hold even when the cold trigger was making my trigger finger numb.

A few other observations.  After shooting my 11.5" barreled gun with the cut carrier and standard grip, I prefer the "Ergo-Grip" by leaps and bounds.  Already have one on my M4gery and of course on Bob.  I'll be adding one to Phil and probably to my mid-length carbine as well.  I think I need a single-point sling.  I tried shooting from the hip and could get decent, 20" groups at 40 yards against the berm.  When shooting from a rest, I was able to get nearly as good a groups with either gun as my M4 was printing.  I think a single-point sling will help with shootability 100% and make these two pistols decent close-range weapons as well as toys.

I'm also SERIOUSLY considering the JP backup sight as a primary sight system.  Laser?  No, I'm going to stay away from that now.  Maybe later though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info about the set-screw Badger!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks like fun!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#12]
"Hi, Bob"

Quoted:
I think a single-point sling will help with shootability

I use an M-60 sling connected to a QD clip on a DPMS single-ring CAR endplate (you'd need a different set-up) and the wide sling makes the weapon pretty stable for push-forward ala MP-5 shooting, not to mention a piece of cake to carry for long periods.  It draws comments hanging at your side like crazy.

I also had several FtL's (Failure to Lock).

That is the primary reason I switched to an extra-heavy hammer spring and had to switch to an upper with a F/A.  The old hammer spring would strike the pin and finish closing the action, but didn't have enough power to then detonate the primer.  New spring = not nearly as many FTL's.  I am still running the old-style M1S pistol buffer system though.

I'm also SERIOUSLY considering the JP backup sight as a primary sight system.  

I've considered the same thing; FYI: Its about $80 wholesale through Brownells (452-000-028)
Email me if you need a hand with the wholesale ordering.

BTW Have you tried a 30mm reddot on it yet? That, with the single-point sling, is very fast and a lot of fun.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice pistol!  I really like the looks of the upper.

ETA: Ever think about putting a Noveske Krink on that?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ETA: Ever think about putting a Noveske Krink on that?

Nope.  Don't like that device.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
NIce.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top