Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2005 10:54:20 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Max
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you remember the movie, RUN FOREST RUN!   That's the same old-style pistol buffer that is VERY finicky.  If you want a gun that short, check out my Bushy Buffer thread above.  If you want to hear about all the myriad problems with that buffer, check the LONG thread that's tacked above entitled, "Pistol Information" or something like that.

For a cheap kit, you should go with the Model 1 Sales kit that includes a CAR length buffer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
About the "old style buffer".  I don't know what experience other had w/ the Gun Smoke version, BUT, the spring is the issue.  

In regards to M1S, IF a cheap spring is used, it won't run.  Granted, I am using a longer pistol barrel (10") vs 7-7.5" they have.  When I changed the spring that M1S sent, my problems went away.  I don't have that many rounds through it and some people don't want to change springs ever so often.  IIRC, some say they shot 500 rounds and had to replace the spring (that's after replacing the oem M1S) w/ a Wolff spring (the heavy 1911 long slide, you cut it yourself).

Edit-
The CAR sytle 'pisol' is the next best thing if you don't want to dink w/ replacing a carrier w/ the Bushy set up.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Kali, you had a thread with pages of painstaking efforts to get one of these working.  I feel for you.  When you buy the carrier, the Bushmaster route is cheaper than a regular CAR setup, 1/2 pound lighter, and 3-4" shorter.  Naturally, that's my vote.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kali, you had a thread with pages of painstaking efforts to get one of these working.  I feel for you.  When you buy the carrier, the Bushmaster route is cheaper than a regular CAR setup, 1/2 pound lighter, and 3-4" shorter.  Naturally, that's my vote.

Why thank you!  I had fun trying!

W/ my pistol, I'm trying to make it compatible w/ various uppers.  I've thought of a 9mm, which one would need the CAR type buff system since the back of the bolt/carrier is solid.  And the other upper that I'm really leaning toward is a 7.62x25 Tok.  I think I can use the M1S/Gunsmoke type w/ that since Marty has a gas operated one working.  Maybe I'll need another pistol...one for the pistol cals using the solid bolts and then use the current one w/ open back carriers....

I suppose I could swap carriers and pull out the bolt (if the Tok bolt Marty is using is different then a 223) if I ever go w/ the Bushy system.....

AT least there is options for people now!!!!!!  We can ALL AGREE that we are happy the dreaded national ban is gone and that we have the oppurtunity to buy/build an AR (or any type of mag outside the grip) pistol.  Sorry to the people w/ a state ban.....

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Kaliburz, I had followed your thread with interest since before I bought my pistol about a year ago.  Thanks for the hard work and opening up options for everyone.  One of these days I will give the 1911 spring mod a try but for now the stock M1S spring setup works for me.  Of course, the pistol was very tight at first so I had to cycle the bolt/carrier a few (hundred) times to help get everything mated.  I've put about 300-350 rounds through mine now and aside from a few misfeeds in the first 50-75 or so rounds I've had a pretty good setup.  Of course, half of the mags I tried didn't work (7.62x39 thing) and the bolt won't hold open on the plastic mag but works on USGI stuff.  If I start noticing a problem with reliability in the next 200 rounds I'll try your spring mod.  I'm not excited about adding even more length to that thing with the CAR tube, especially with the 11.5" barrel out there!  I still haven't found a suitable carry case for it that it fit into without being overly large (like a rifle case!).  

I wonder why after M1S took so much flak for their buffer setup and changed designs, why other manufacturers still stick with the original design?  The gunsmoke buffer is the exact same thing right?  Or does it have a heavier 1911 style spring in it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Max,

I think your post might have been hi-jacked......   Granted, the buffer IS similar in design as the one the original M1S kits have.

rsc,

I've always though that the spring they sent was the problem.  Don't know who made it for them or what, but a spring should not distort THAT bad after only 40 rounds.  I have not handled the Gunsmoke buffer.  But from the pictures..... it looks like the same one..... whom ever made it for GS and M1S.

I too have the longer barrel. I can't recall if it was the 10.5" or 11".  I ended up using a tennis racket case (wraping the pistol in a towl too).

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have learned so much from this site that I have no complaints.  

Max
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
rsc,

Have you tried picking up some of those new DPMS 'frank-en-mags'?  They say it's the only way to go.  Might pick up a 7.62x39 upper one of these days for something (carbine or for pistol)....I have enough frak-en-mags for one....  

max,

I would imagine that Gunsmoke will stand behind their product.  I suppose if you don't want to deal w/ a kit, you could get an assembled pistol ....
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, no Frankenmags yet.  They're not a high priority on my list at the moment, I don't feel a need for a 30 rd mag.  That would make it awful heavy for one.  If I can keep getting 20 or 30 rounders that will hold about 10-12  each then I'm pretty happy.  I don't use my pistol for self-defense, just plinking and some hunting so I don't miss the high-cap thing.  I just have to find the ones that will feed reliably.  I don't remember hearing a lot of stuff about the new frankenmags but I would expect that they would work just as well as the old ones.  I think if I had a pair of the Frankenmags, and some modern technology bullets that the 7.62x39 would be a hell of a better pistol.  I'm thinking that even reloading choices will be limited.  

If I were to buy/build my pistol again I probably would go with the Gunsmoke deal now that M1S is in Texas and I have to pay state sales tax on them.  I'm not sure if they come with an ER Shaw barrel like mine or what quality barrel they use though.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]
were does the ace system fit in?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I purchased a GSE buffer tube assembly; looks great but can't get the BCG to move.  Trying to manage the spring is a challenge too.  I haven't talked to GSE to look at solutions yet, but it's pretty discouraging.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Was the little metal "thimble"-thing that the spring pushes into the back of the BCG installed backwards?  The thing should be installed: BCG, "thimble"-thing inserted into BCG, spring, washers (optional), metal guide rod, and finally the endcap on the end of the "buffer" tube.  I would have never figured out how to put it together and make it all work if I hadn't seen a photo of it going together.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
So, Max, you gonna buy a GSE pistol kit?  As you can tell, the buffer seems to work w/ their kit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:47:59 AM EDT
[#14]
RSC - Check - "thimble" thing installed correctly in the carrier and the same order for the remaining components as you described.  BCG barely moves when I pull back on the CH.  It's like the spring is too powerful but yet it obviously isn't.  I've taken the individual components to see if they are aligned, i.e., BC and buffer tube, and I'm still scratching my noggin on this one...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe a wild thought, but do you have the spring/plunger in the lower reciever's threaded buffer tube mount?  I don't remember it being needed if you are not using a buffer setup like the M1S/GSE tube assy.  The plunger could be sticking up too high and catching on the bolt carrier.  Is this a cast or home-milled reciever?  The buffer tube hole could also be misaligned if so.  I've had problems with magazines being inserted too far (the plastic ones) and binding on the BCG, but that was with the bolt held back and it wouldn't go forward, maybe the bolt release button is binding on someting?  All I can really think of as being the problem is that the spring kinked on install and the guide rod isn't inside the spring anymore causing the binding.  Pictures might help too I guess.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Good gouge RSC - I hadn't thought about the plunger sticking up on the BCG or the spring kinking.  I'll check it out this weekend and get back to you.  Sorry for the delay responding - been TAD this last week.  Lower is a LCW.  Thanks for taking he time to respond...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#17]
RSC, you nailed it, " the problem is that the spring kinked on install and the guide rod isn't inside the spring anymore causing the binding."

That was it.  Lesson learned - be meticulous when installing the plug and spring to ensure proper alignment.  Thanks...
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top