Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2005 7:15:14 PM EDT
Can I use a pistol registered lower to make a rifle, and if I decide that at a later date that I want a pistol, can I pull the stock off and put on the shorty upper? And back again?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I would like to die never having seen the inside of a federal prison!

Thanks!

GT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that you MUST build it first as a pistol.  After that, you can then change to a rifle and back to pistol at will.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if it is assembled as a pistol first.  

If it is assembled as a rifle, before it has ever been assembled as a complete pistol, then it can only be used as a rifle lower.  If it is first assembled as a pistol, then it can be converted back and forth from pistol to rifle.

Kinda stupid when ya think about it, but that's the feds for ya.  We just have to comply with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
So would I have to keep the pistol upper laying around? Seems like an easy way to get beaten about the head and shoulders for intent.....

How do they verify it?

Not looking to circumvent (and the idea of an AR pistol intrigues me) but it would seem that you can just say that it used to be a pistol...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I could be wrong, but I think the only way 'intent' would enter into the situation is if you had the complete pistol, with a stock lying around without a rifle length upper available for it (intent to construct an SBR).  If you don't have a rifle length upper lying around, make sure you don't have a stock lying around, either.

As for how they verify it, that's simple.  They require you to prove it.  Just make sure that the word "rifle" doesn't appear on any of the paperwork connected to the stripped lower you purchased for the build, assemble it as a pistol, take pictures to show that it was assembled as a pistol, and you should be in the clear.  I also keep a copy of the paperwork (from the gunstore), showing that it was sold to me as a stripped pistol lower, inside the pistol grip - in case some curious officer sees it and has any questions about it's pistol configuration.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Here in NY if you make it a pistol it has to stay that way.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I could be wrong, but I think the only way 'intent' would enter into the situation is if you had the complete pistol, with a stock lying around without a rifle length upper available for it (intent to construct an SBR).  If you don't have a rifle length upper lying around, make sure you don't have a stock lying around, either.

As for how they verify it, that's simple.  They require you to prove it.  Just make sure that the word "rifle" doesn't appear on any of the paperwork connected to the stripped lower you purchased for the build, assemble it as a pistol, take pictures to show that it was assembled as a pistol, and you should be in the clear.  I also keep a copy of the paperwork (from the gunstore), showing that it was sold to me as a stripped pistol lower, inside the pistol grip - in case some curious officer sees it and has any questions about it's pistol configuration.

Cool! That's kind of what I thought. Figured it would work the same as the pistol to carbine conversions!

I of course wanted to make sure.

Gonna build it as a pistol first then. I'll make it a rifle after the novelty wears off

Or probably buy another lower to make a rifle....I like loud things!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember , if the lower receiver is transferred to you by an FFL as a PISTOL
on the yellow form , you will have to comply with any State or Local Laws regarding pistols.

And  If you swap uppers back and forth to a rifle config. , you will ALWAYS be able to prove
that the short upper belongs to your AR pistol
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Remember , if the lower receiver is transferred to you by an FFL as a PISTOL
on the yellow form , you will have to comply with any State or Local Laws regarding pistols.

And  If you swap uppers back and forth to a rifle config. , you will ALWAYS be able to prove
that the short upper belongs to your AR pistol

Woo hoo!

How are the M1 Sales uppers? And should I go with the 7.5 or the 10 inch?

Obnoxiously loud and dubiously useful sounds like my kind of gun!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 7.5"  - and yes it is deliciously Obnoxious.  

My build thread ---->  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=241611
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top