Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2005 9:16:27 PM EDT
Alright....now we all know that currently, only M1S sells a 7.62x39 AR pistol upper and related accessories.  Back in the day, Oly Arms had a similar upper as their self contained 223 barrel...I think the barrel was around 7" long....

So, here is the question..... does anyone know if the 7.62x39 will function "reasonably" if set up like the 223 7.5" barrel?  (Aka....will it function w/ that type of gas system..)

I was thinking of a M1S 7.62x39 barrel, hacking it off just behind the gas hole- rethreading  there, reconturing the barrel and redrilling the gas hole at the "pistol" location....

edit-
doing project RnD...trying to fig out what's next....(gasp)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the AR 7.62 pistol but the AK pistol with a 7" barrel has a nice flame and sound.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't know about the AR 7.62 pistol but the AK pistol with a 7" barrel has a nice flame and sound.

+1

And with the price of Krinkov kits, and I think DPMS is selling "franken mags" again, this Idea seems like a good one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]

And with the price of Krinkov kits

You can actually find kits?  You can get lucky every now and then on the secondary market, but then it is extremely expensive.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And with the price of Krinkov kits

You can actually find kits?  You can get lucky every now and then on the secondary market, but then it is extremely expensive.

M92 Yugo Krinks About $500 bucks. CenterFireSystems has 'em, Military Gun Supply, "R" Guns even has 'em. Several EE dealers have 'em.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ah... I was unaware they made AK's w/ that short of a "pistol" barrel....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A gunsmith made himself a pistol out of a AMD 65 and cut the barrel down and then decided to sell it to fund another project.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
My model 1 11/5in upper in 7.62x39 runs like a scaled ape on my M16.  That said, Model 1 says to run brass, not steel ammo.

I've found that Vector brass ammo works great!  Using Russian or S&B, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
kit only at the moment

10 inches of happyness
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top