Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 9:50:36 PM EDT
Hello, I've just recently been learning about high caliber guns, so please forgive me if I sound foolish.  I'm really interested in AR-15 pistols in both 9mm and 223 caliber.  However, I understand that the 223 pistols make an INCREDIBLE NOISE when fired!  I was wondering if there was anything you can do to reduce the noise without going through the trouble of buying/registering a suppressor??  Would simple 223 subsonic ammo help in noise reduction?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The only sub-sonic ammo I know of that works the action for the 5.56 is so damned expensive that you could buy a suppressor for what just a few hundred rounds of that stuff cost.  It also shoots a ridiculously heavy bullet (127 gr.?) in order to get the pressures up to work the action and the velocity down to below subsonic.  
Or you can do what everyone else does; wear ear muffs and plugs.  The pistol is not all that bad if you properly equip yourself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
You could buy a .22 LR AR pistol. Might have to be a custom job. The good news is it wouldn't need a buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the noise all that bad outside?  I never tried to shoot one without ear protection in the outdoors.  I'm wondering if one would still sustain hearing damage?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never shot mine without muffs on but I have stood right behind someone else shooting it and it isn't that bad. I don't think the AR pistol is any louder than my AR 10 with 16" brl.  and I shoot it without plugs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#5]
My pistol AR is VERY loud. It is much louder then a 16 inch barrel AR. And I even wonder if I’m getting hearing damage WITH ear protection. So much un-burnt powder is igniting after the projectile has left the barrel that there is a huge fireball and shockwave created. So much that you can feel it pounding your chest if you are standing nearby. It is all shock and awe. I am definitely getting a suppressor for it. To make it somewhat useful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My pistol AR is VERY loud. It is much louder then a 16 inch barrel AR. And I even wonder if I’m getting hearing damage WITH ear protection. So much un-burnt powder is igniting after the projectile has left the barrel that there is a huge fireball and shockwave created. So much that you can feel it pounding your chest if you are standing nearby. It is all shock and awe. I am definitely getting a suppressor for it. To make it somewhat useful.

Be carefull with the can, I was told in the C3 forum that ~10.5 to 11.5" barrel is as short as you really can go with a can due to the bullet not being stable b/c of the short 7" barrel. And some mfgs will not warrany a can on a bbl shorter than ~10.5" - 11.5".........Just thought I would pass that along.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Use one of these and your problems are solved.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=GS-01

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
See, this is why I LOVE THIS FORUM!!  Cableman, if I ever meet you in person remind me that I owe you a case of beer!!  This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
See, this is why I LOVE THIS FORUM!!  Cableman, if I ever meet you in person remind me that I owe you a case of beer!!  This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

It worked great on the 10.5" pistol I built.

It doesn't work very well as a flash hider though...but it works great for muzzle blast and noise levels.

Supposedly this one works great for both flash hider and muzzle blast...but its $125 vs $40 for the other one

www.jnrifleworks.com/cgi-bin/cart2/display.cgi?cat1=17

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you need NFA approval for the more expensive Krinkov adapter??  I couldn't tell from the product's description?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It worked great on the 10.5" pistol I built.
It doesn't work very well as a flash hider though...but it works great for muzzle blast and noise levels.
Supposedly this one works great for both flash hider and muzzle blast...but its $125 vs $40 for the other one

What about a 7.5" barrel?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do you need NFA approval for the more expensive Krinkov adapter??  I couldn't tell from the product's description?

no, its just a flash supressor that also directs the muzzle blast out the front.

Skebe...it should work equally well on a 7.5
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy crap thanks for the heads up on the suppressor for a short barrel. I was just about to get the 97S pistol barrel threaded to put a can on it. I still would like to do it so I have to ask.

What twist are we talking about that a short barrel (7 inch to 11 inch barrel) cannot stabilize a .223? The Bushmaster has a 1:9 twist, and the can I want to put on there is only about 5 inches long or less, so if it’s going to strike the baffles only after traveling 5 inches out of the barrel, holy crap what is going on.

I have to imagine there is a recipe to make it work.  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top