Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 12:28:10 PM EDT
I just got back from the range and WOW, this pistol is awesome!!!!  I just burned through 500 rounds of Winchester white box and not one hiccup!!  I did have a nice pile of spent brass though.

http://www.tampabayshooting.com/images/spike/Profile.JPG

>9mm pistol, Jarvis 9mm nato cambered 6" barrel threaded with 1/2 28.
>YHM mini free float tube with four rails.
>Spike's Tactical register pistol lower (made by LAR) with the calico jack logo.
>Proprietary buffer tube that preforms perfectly (uses AR carbine buffer and spring)
>Hahn Precision mag block
>Beta mag
>Fake can to protect the threads until the real thing.
>Ergo grip and tac-latch.
>The pistol was $850 ($950 with the block) The Beta was extra but had to be done.

http://www.tampabayshooting.com/images/spike/CalicoJackProfile.JPG

http://www.tampabayshooting.com/images/spike/JacknMuzzle.JPG

Thanks Spike, that is a bunch of fun.  (Contact info at spikestactical.com)

I almost forgot to put my question up.  This is my first pistol.  What do you AR pistol experts prefer for sights/optics?  I was thinking of a laser device of some sort but thought I would get some ideas from those that have already done the R&D.  Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a few of these at a recent Gun Show Spike's Tactical was at . . . awesome looking!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a red dot and a laser on my AR-15 pistol.  I find I use the laser more than anything but then again, my pistol is for playing only and not for anything more serious than burning up lots of ammo as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did you get the fake can. It really finishes it off. I ordered my 9mm upper cut to 6" from ADCO this morning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Where did you get the fake can. It really finishes it off. I ordered my 9mm upper cut to 6" from ADCO this morning.

I got it from Spike at Spikestactical.com.  I don't think his website is fully functional but all his contact info is on the site.  Spike is great to deal with.

Thanks again Spike.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a red dot and a laser on my AR-15 pistol.  I find I use the laser more than anything but then again, my pistol is for playing only and not for anything more serious than burning up lots of ammo as fast as possible.

I think you are right.  I think the laser is the way to go.  Anyone have a specific recomendation?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you even considered a real handgun scope, such as the 2X Burris which will probably grace my soon to be reassembled 10.25 pistol upper?

Given the reduced ballistic characteristics of abbreviated 5.56 barrels, zeroing a 2X at 50 or 100 yards gives you a great sighting system.  Using a carry handle mounted 1.5X Tasco I used to  shoot "one ragged hole" groups at 50 yards with mine back in '93!

Obviously you must hold the weapon away from your body to obtain the required eye relief, and a bipod might not hurt.  Metallic Sillouette(sp?) shooters have adapted a variety of shooting positions for unwieldy "handguns".  NONE involve putting a recoil tube/buffer in contact with one's shoulder like a pseudo-SBR...

Either you can learn and understand how to use your AR pistol as a handgun; or you can flirt with using rifle sights, high above the bore LOS's, and other inelegant sighting systems.  Try mounting a HANDGUN scope in Leupold High(about .45 between scope tube and rail) rings, setting it on sandbags, and actually developing some markmanship skills with your new "toy".

I am drawing on something like a quarter century of using a pair of Thompson/Center Super 14 Contender hunting handguns chambered in .223 Rem and 444 Marlin, so I know what works out to 200 yards.

Dots, lasers, and irons will hobble your ability to actually get good hits by preventing you from obtaining a steady hold with such a heavy handgun under field conditions.  IMHO...

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have you even considered a real handgun scope, such as the 2X Burris which will probably grace my soon to be reassembled 10.25 pistol upper?

Given the reduced ballistic characteristics of abbreviated 5.56 barrels, zeroing a 2X at 50 or 100 yards gives you a great sighting system.  Using a carry handle mounted 1.5X Tasco I used to  shoot "one ragged hole" groups at 50 yards with mine back in '93!

Obviously you must hold the weapon away from your body to obtain the required eye relief, and a bipod might not hurt.  Metallic Sillouette(sp?) shooters have adapted a variety of shooting positions for unwieldy "handguns".  NONE involve putting a recoil tube/buffer in contact with one's shoulder like a pseudo-SBR...

Either you can learn and understand how to use your AR pistol as a handgun; or you can flirt with using rifle sights, high above the bore LOS's, and other inelegant sighting systems.  Try mounting a HANDGUN scope in Leupold High(about .45 between scope tube and rail) rings, setting it on sandbags, and actually developing some markmanship skills with your new "toy".

I am drawing on something like a quarter century of using a pair of Thompson/Center Super 14 Contender hunting handguns chambered in .223 Rem and 444 Marlin, so I know what works out to 200 yards.

Dots, lasers, and irons will hobble your ability to actually get good hits by preventing you from obtaining a steady hold with such a heavy handgun under field conditions.  IMHO...

Paladin

Paladin,  Thanks for the advice.  I hadn't considered an actual scope for the pistol since it is in 9mm and really not very effective at great distances.  I do have a 2x Burris in the bottom of the safe, maybe I will give it a try and see how far it is effective.  I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

J
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I should have noticed those 9mm bullet tips in the photo, sorry.

My comments about sighting system were in general, and not just about your pistol.  Plinking with that caliber at 100 yards IS still doable, I shot a match with a stock 1911 in 9mm once, and went 3 for 5 on the 100 yard javelinas.

Just try looking at what sights you need with a clean slate.  What works for a rifle will not be optimum.  Perhaps a reflex sight of some sort, many are very lightweight.

Don't be trapped into thinking it must have a high LOS like AR rifles require.  A lower mounted optic brings the POA/POI very close to "flat as a string" from the muzzle to 100+ yards(well, maybe not w/ 9mms).  The effects of canting the weapon are reduced as well.  Lower rings weigh less, always nice.

Hey, I can dig somone enjoying a 9mm bullet hose, I own a MAC-10 in 45 acp with shoulder holster!  I wonder if they make a BETA-mag for it???

Paladin
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top