Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:26:08 AM EDT
I have an ar-15 a2 will I be able to swap the reciever out into the a3 pistol kit from model 1 sales and if so what else would i need to complete the pistol?  I plan on registering the reciever as a pistol reciever upon completion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Once a rifle, always a rifle. You have to start with a non-built or pistol marked lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The lower receiver is relatively cheap. Just buy a virgin lower (does not have to be specially papered as a "pistol" so long as it was never assembled as a rifle)... plenty of these around for $80 or so on the EE.

Your other option is to file a Form 1/$200 with BATFE to register your existing rifle as a Short Barrelled Rifle, then (once approved) you can slap that shorty upper on your existing lower. This is what I did, as the weapon shoots much better with a stock installed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Do a little homework first.  This question is answered in painful detail in the above tacked 31 page thread.  I am not trying to be curt but if you read that thread you will have almost every question you can think of about doing a pistol build answered and you won't be asking questions that have been gone over about a hundred times.
As said, if the first build is a rifle it is a rifle and you cannot change it to a pistol no matter what.  Either SBR it for $200 or spend $100 and get a virgin lower for the pistol build.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I apologize for the repeat post but I searched these forums for a few hours and I wasn't finding the specifics only some threads that seemed like they were going to answer my question but then they went off topic and were vague.  Again I apologize for the inconveinence of asking a question, I just wanted a direct answer.  Thanks to the guys who replied, much appreciated.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top