Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2005 6:44:43 PM EDT
I sure this has been asked a ton of times, I did search but just got overly confused and never found anything directly related.
What is the deal on the barrels? Don't you have to have a stamp to even order short barrels or just to actually use the barrel on a rifle? I see you just make sure it is marked as a pistol lower, then can you order the barrel of less than 16" w/o a stamp? Ar pistol seems like a cool next build once my xm177ish bastard mutt is done. Just wanting to clarify so I do not look like a fool trying to order a 10 or 11" barrel w/o a stamp.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
there is no stamp needed to build a pistol.

building a pistol is perfectly legal as long as it has never been built into a rifle, look at the tacked thread that bigbore has with the atf letter.

short barrels are perfectly legal for pistol builds but if it has a stock or a front vertical grip then more paperwork/tax will have to be paid
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

building a pistol is perfectly legal as long as it has never been built into a rifle, look at the tacked thread that bigbore has with the atf letter.

short barrels are perfectly legal for pistol builds but if it has a stock or a front vertical grip then more paperwork/tax will have to be paid

I got that much out of it, so it is perfectly ok to call and order up a shorter than 16" barrel then? I did not want to run into problems from a dealer when I order the barrel for it, I figured most would automatically assume that I was building an SBR and would want a copy of a stamp or something.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got that much out of it, so it is perfectly ok to call and order up a shorter than 16" barrel then? I did not want to run into problems from a dealer when I order the barrel for it, I figured most would automatically assume that I was building an SBR and would want a copy of a stamp or something.

Barrels and upper recievers (on ARs) are not controlled items.  A 7.5" AR barrel is just a barrel.  Anyone can buy one and own one.  Now, you can't actually put it on a rifle unless you have taken the appropriate legal steps (tax stamp) but there are no laws governing who can buy parts (unless your talking about a few very specific parts like Drop-In-Auto-Sears, Lightning Links, and other parts that by themselves are classified as "guns").
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrels and upper recievers (on ARs) are not controlled items.  A 7.5" AR barrel is just a barrel.  Anyone can buy one and own one.  Now, you can't actually put it on a rifle unless you have taken the appropriate legal steps (tax stamp) but there are no laws governing who can buy parts (unless your talking about a few very specific parts like Drop-In-Auto-Sears, Lightning Links, and other parts that by themselves are classified as "guns").

i think most places give you grief when buying a commando kit. i.e. model 1 and the like
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright, thanks exactly what I was looking for, also thanks eklikwhoa you also cleared up a few other minor details for me. I read the tacked thread by big bore, admittingly not the entire thing, but it just went in circles for my mind. Very cool though, will be looking for a pistol receiver now for when I finish the retro/neo xm177.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If you go to a local dealer to order one, some, MIGHT give you lip about it.....

As stated, you can buy one yourself.  Some sellers, like CMMG on this site, has the 7.5" DPMS Kitty Kat upper.  Some manufactuers don't sell their uppers direct to "people", only dealers....and the Kitty Kat is one upper that DPMS will NOT sell direct, even though it is leagal.

At one time, some dealers required people to show a tax stamp to even ORDER a barrel less then 16".  But I assume this was because of the BAN.  Anything less then 16" would be a SBR and AR pistols (at least new builds) were illegal & you couldn't use a pre ban upper on a post ban weopon.  Most uppers that short (7") were for pistols and the ads said "for pre ban pistol use"......  Now the ban is gone, but some dealers/companies do it just because.....

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you go to a local dealer to order one, some, MIGHT give you lip about it.....

As stated, you can buy one yourself.  Some sellers, like CMMG on this site, has the 7.5" DPMS Kitty Kat upper.  Some manufactuers don't sell their uppers direct to "people", only dealers....and the Kitty Kat is one upper that DPMS will NOT sell direct, even though it is leagal.

At one time, some dealers required people to show a tax stamp to even ORDER a barrel less then 16".  But I assume this was because of the BAN.  Anything less then 16" would be a SBR and AR pistols (at least new builds) were illegal & you couldn't use a pre ban upper on a post ban weopon.  Most uppers that short (7") were for pistols and the ads said "for pre ban pistol use"......  Now the ban is gone, but some dealers/companies do it just because.....

That is what I was wondering, I do not mind telling someone they are wrong. As long as I know for sure they are wrong. I'll order from one of the advertisers here, they are most likely familiar with the subject. Only one local shop is completely black rifle friendly and even then they might would give me trouble on this. I did not see how just having the barrel would be illegal or even impossible to get, but figured some ignorant dealers might would give me a problem about it.

But I do appreciate all the help guys, the pistols sure look like loads of fun. Especially if using a 9mm upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top