Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2005 11:29:02 AM EDT
Did I read somewhere around here that we can NOT combine the two?  Or did I misread something.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC you cannot have a VFG on a pistol. If you do it becomes an AOW. Dont think there is anything for SBRs as they are still rifles.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct, if you SBR your lower you can do anything short of a FA sear, LL, DIAS...   A stock and VG are perfectly OK.  If you leave your pistol a standard pistol then you cannot add the VG as that would be "making" an AOW.  To legally "make" an AOW you must file a Form 1 and pay a $200 tax, then when approved you can do the VG.  Since it costs the same to make an AOW as it does an SBR, IMO it makes no since to go the AOW route unless your state does not allow SBRs and does allow AOWs.

Now, if you take your pistol, add a 16 inch or longer barrel to it then you can add the stock AND the VG, but you cannot add either the stock or the VG if you have a less than 16 barrel on the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Since my lower is a registered SBR, I can do anything to it aside from fullauto....right?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct.  When SBRed you can take the stock off completely.  Unlike the AOW that can never have a stock, the SBR may or may not have the stock attached.  When I queried the ATFE about removing the stock from my SBR SW-45-PDW to replace it with an end cap to put into MP5K configuration they said all they really care about is the barrel being less than 16 inches or the OAL being less than 26 inches.  Once they have it on record as being an SBR they couldn't care less if it has a stock attached or not and I was free to play with it any way I wanted (less making it FA of course).
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought an AOW was a $5 stamp? Damn SGN ads!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
$5 transfer fee, but 200 tax for first reg.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, to transfer an AOW it is only $5, but when you put a vertical grip on the pistol, you are "making" the AOW.  To make either an AOW or SBR you must use Form 1 and pay $200.  To transfer you use a Form 4 and pay $5 for AOW, $200 for SBR or MG.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Huh. That makes an AOW pointless in my eyes if it's the same price as the others. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Correct.  When SBRed you can take the stock off completely.  Unlike the AOW that can never have a stock, the SBR may or may not have the stock attached.  When I queried the ATFE about removing the stock from my SBR SW-45-PDW to replace it with an end cap to put into MP5K configuration they said all they really care about is the barrel being less than 16 inches or the OAL being less than 26 inches.  Once they have it on record as being an SBR they couldn't care less if it has a stock attached or not and I was free to play with it any way I wanted (less making it FA of course).

Are you saying that you cannot put a RDIAS in a SBR?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I think he's not including a RDIAS as it has it's own seperate registration.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:06:13 AM EDT
[#11]
gopeterson -

Big-Bore is talking about everything you can do on that one $200 SBR Tax Stamp.  If you wanted to add an RDIAS to your SBR then it would require a seperate $200 Tax Stamp for the RDIAS.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it legal to shoot an SBR without a stock for that AOW feel?  I would assume so, but was just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes to all the above.  If you get a legal RDIAS and put it in then it is no longer a SBR but a machine gun so long as the sear is in the lower.  Then anything goes.  Once the sear was removed then the lower would go back to being an SBR.
 What I meant was that as a SBR you can do anything except make it fully automatic.  If you could somehow make it fully automatic without using registered FA sear parts/LL/DIAS, (such as making your own parts to make it FA) then that would be illegal.

Removing the stock from a SBR and shooting it like a pistol is perfectly OK.  The ATFE told me regarding a SW-45-PDW that I had SBRed and wanted to remove the stock and put on a MP5K receiver end cap that they really only carred about it having a shorter than 16 inch barrel or an OAL of less than 26 inches, and once SBRed I can switch back and forth between stock and no stock as much as I want.  The only thing they really cared about was <16" and/or <26", how much less concerned then not at all so long as the weapon was taxed and listed as an SBR.  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top