Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:14:09 PM EDT
Newbie here with a question about pistol length handguards.  Has anyone seen a 4 rail freefloat tube that will fit a 7.5" barrel?  I can't find anything on the net to swap out on my pistol.  Any sites to checkout would be helpful......thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Both DPMS and YHM make one.

Kitty Kat DPMS

Yankee Hill

Just remember that with the rail forend you cannot add a forward vertical grip so be careful.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
They are proud of em at that price, but at least you helped me find some....THANKS A MILLION.  One last question and please excuse my lack of intelligence on this....the mini that is 4" is for the pistol correct?  No forward pistol grips planned at all, it's hard enough trying to convice the clowns at the gate that the pistol is registered and legal in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the mini 4 inch is for the 7.5 inch pistol barrel.  

Just want to throw something out for you to think about.  Since you cannot put a vertical grip on it there is not a whole lot you can do with the 4 rail forend.  You can attach lights to it and stuff, but if you do there is not much to hold on to.  And the 4 rails feel like crap in your hands unless you put rail covers on them, in which case the forend get very large.  As much as I love the bad-ass look of the 4 rail forend and have come within a blink of buying them several times, when you try and hold it compared to the round forend the plain-Jane round forend wins out every time.
I just cannot bring myself to remove the round tube and put on a 4 rail, not at $100-$125 any way.  I keep hoping Brownells will start carrying them so I can get one at the dealer discount (I'm a C&R holder) but so far no luck.

Before you buy please try both styles. $100-$125 is a hell of a mistake to make if you end up thinking they feel as poor as I think they do.  But damn, they look sooo good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never noticed a comfort issue with my YHM 4-rail on my 7.5".  I use those lattice type rail covers.  They smooth things out and don't increase the size any.  For any aimed fire I'm grabbing the front of the magwell anyway.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#5]
samson makes one now too i believe.

talon arms had a thread about it
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
HMMM....an issue I had'nt even considered.  The tube handgaurd I have on there now feels alright, but I just wanted something to mount laser, light, ect.  The rail covers everyone mentioned...do they fit down flush thus keeping the same diameter?  Either way I will definately think about the bulk and comfort issue.  Would you have the link for the sampson handguards?  Thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got these rail covers that I purchased from CMMG.  They don't increase the diameter of the handgard:

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like a laser mounted to one of those style handguards would be a good way to approach rapid aim with one of the AR pistols.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Those look perfect....thanks a bunch!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
HMMM....an issue I had'nt even considered.  The tube handgaurd I have on there now feels alright, but I just wanted something to mount laser, light, ect.  The rail covers everyone mentioned...do they fit down flush thus keeping the same diameter?  Either way I will definately think about the bulk and comfort issue.  Would you have the link for the sampson handguards?  Thanks again everyone.

here's a link to their thread in the ee.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Be Advised - You will NOT be holding onto the handguard of a 7.5" AR pistol after
more than 4 or 5 rounds .

Ask me how I know  

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I wrapped my handguards with paracord. It does get pretty hot after a few mags.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Why can't you add a vertical grip to your 7.5"?  If its an SBR just like the 14.5" its the same is it not?  Please explain......sorry to hijack'
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#14]
An SBR and a pistol are not the same thing.  We are talking about pistols here, not SBRs.  If you SBR it then you can do anything you want except for dropping in a FA sear, LL, DIAS...
These are all pistol builds we are talking about and none of them have been SBRed.  To put the vertical grip on the pistol would be creating an AOW which is another NFA class of weapons and we would be talking about them on the NFA board instead of the pistol board.

By the way, with the free float handguard that is on my pistol I have dumped 60 rounds straight and it did not get hot.  I have also emptied one beta mag and 4 30 round mags over about a 60 minute period on a 70-80 degree day and had no problems with it getting overly hot.  Of course I let it cool down some between mags because I really don't want to wash out the barrel's throat, not that it matters in a pistol like this but if you take a break now and then it doesn't get too hot, at least mine doesn't.
The barrel, yes, way too hot to touch, but the handguard did not get overly hot.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm with Big-Bore concerning handguard heat.  I've never had my railed FF hadguard get uncomfortably hot even after mag dumps.  There is ample open areas between the barrel and the handguard for heat to escape, though.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never had a problem with my 7.5" pistol & heat.  I've dumped 60 rounds as quick as I can pull the trigger & it was warm, but not quite to the level of  uncomfortably hot.  

I've been looking at the KitKat 4 rail system, but can't bring myself to spend the money for it.  All I really want is a light, and I'll probably drill my existing tube for one of the Streamlight rail adapters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#17]
This is an idea I have been toying with.  You can buy the 3" YHM bolt on rails that you can put on your round tube.  Since I have an ARMS super length rail I am not sure a 4-railed forend would fit under it, but since those rails do look so nice (in spite of making the grip more uncomfortable IMO) I have been thinking about putting them on the sides to hold the laser.  They sell for about $15 a rail from Brownells.  A lot cheaper than buying the $105-$120 forend.  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top