Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:21:27 PM EDT
In an effort to focus on different areas of the AR pistol...

.223 AR pistol - uppers
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What?  No replies!?

Okay..... me shall start.
Barrel lengths
6.5, 7 (7.5*), 10, 11, 14
So far, that is the lengths I have see commonly advertised, IIRC.

Regular style uppers
Nearly all uppers for pistols are "cut down" carbine uppers.  They require a buffer tube of some sort to fuction.  The DPMS kitty cat, M1S and others fall in this catagory.  All parts (except barrel) are identical to rifle/carbine uppers.

Barrel lengths around 7" seem to have function issues.  Most issues were traced back to the buffer system (see other topics on buffers) or w/ gas tubes.  

Hybrid
I call it a hybrid; the Bushmaster pistol upper.  It is a "regular style upper", but the buffer and carrier are modified.  The carrier is shorter and a special buffer assembly must be used.  The use of this upper in a rifle would not work w/out changing the carrier to a normal unit.  (This is only speculation as I have not seen one, only pics).  So far, the Bushmaster is the only unit I know of that uses a non standard AR parts.

Oly Arms
This upper from Olympic Arms of Olympia, WA has an integrated recoil system.  A buffer tube is not required at all.  Unfortunately, the barrel length is 6.5" for this upper.  This would work on any lower.

Note:  (Da disclaimer)  The "use on a carbine/rifle" comment is for explaination only.  By no way I am supporting use of a  barrel length under 16" on a "rifle" w/out the proper, LEGAL requirements.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top