Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 10:59:52 AM EDT
There are a lot of great $2.5K+ 308 rifles out there and that's great if that's what you need.

I don't need a battle tested or a reliable-in-every-adverse-condition rifle. I want a semi 308 rifle for bench shooting that will shoot tiny groups if I do my part with factory 308 match ammo.  

It's brought me back to the DPMS LR-308B. Right size package and leaves $ for upgrades (if I want), ammo and glass.

Any recent experiences with this model?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#1]
There probably aren't many recent reports/reviews on that gun because it's such a known quantity by this time.  The platform is huge and heavy and effective.  Where huge and heavy won't be a problem with a bench gun, it is more likely to be an asset.  The upper/lower receivers will work great, but the magic will come from the barrel.  LRRP will probably come along here with much better advice and insight on the precision use of this platform since he has lots of experience with it, though he has usually introduced different barrels and/or calibers.  Maybe adding more detail about the distance you intend to shoot this factory match ammo will help...and perhaps the exact ammo if you've made a choice in that area...may help with barrel length too if they offer options.

I'm sure you'll also get recommendations of other calibers, but one has to admit that for the money, the gun and ammo will be relatively economical in good ol' .308.  I'm going more and more toward the 6.5CM for longer range precision, but I'm keeping one of my Armalite .308's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It was the 2nd factory .308 gasser I bought after selling my ArmaLite -10T 24" (whoops-.3 MOA gun, a hummer).

I initially had the extractor fail right out the gate on the LR-308 24" bull barreled beast.  It weighs more than a SAKO .338 LM TRG.

I think DPMS's approach with them was stuff as huge of a barrel in there that will have less flex to get accuracy for cheap.

The rifles they would send to writers would be hand-select tack-drivers from a lot, while mine was maybe a 1.5" gun with Lapua brass, Lapua bullet, consistent load of extruded powder after accuracy work-up.

I had a lot of FTExtract with it even after the new extractor was installed.

Chamber was more like a minimum bolt gun chamber, had it reamed so it would run reliably.

I learned a lot of lessons with that rifle for going to my next project with GA Precision.  I just sent them receivers, BCG, a handguard, RET, buffer, recoil spring, LPK, and asked them to spin me up an Obermeyer pipe, 22", fluted, true everything and cut me a chamber for the 155gr Scenar mag-fed from 2.800" COL.  It was hard to find targets small enough to kill with that rifle.  Placed 2nd with it in FinnSniper 2008 with my British Royal Marines partner (he was shooting an AI in .25-06 with Bergers).

We both went to 6.5mm after that, him a 6.5x47Lapua, and me a .260 Rem.

If all you want is to make holes in paper, .223 Rem is plenty for that, does better at it than .308 Winchester from a gasser at closer ranges.  Much easier to shoot, very forgiving of technique, easy to follow-through, easy to feed, no real recoil management needed.

Your fundamentals have to be perfect with the AR10 or else it will refuse to reward you.  The tiniest amount of slack in your technique will result in opened groups.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 DPMS LR308 rifles.
With The factory 16" barrel I can shoot 1" 5 shot groups with 10X scope and factory 168gn store HPBT's. Rem Gmm
I have terrible eyes and I can't hold still, so yes the gun can shoot.
I've Never had any chambering problems with factory 308 ammo or 7.62 Nato ammo in around 1000 rounds total on the gun.

Edit; Add to that, they were $650 at Academy last week and I don't see how you can lose even upgrading handguard, gasblock and other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your fundamentals have to be perfect with the AR10 or else it will refuse to reward you.  The tiniest amount of slack in your technique will result in opened groups.
View Quote
This is so true. I have realized this after about 1000 rounds out of my Ar10's. I am getting better but it requires practice and excellent form.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top