Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 1:15:54 PM EDT
Guys, I just ordered a couple of these rifles (at that price I had to). Do the magpul mags work with these?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
They work fine in my Gen 1 PA10
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No offense... but.. a few threads away... and please be specific... PSA PA10 Gen I or Gen II.. There are different results.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/716787_PSA-PA-10-and-Magazines.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/716931_which-Mags-.html
View Quote
Gen II, I checked the links you provided, thanks. Looks like pmags work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
P Mag (10 rnd) works fine in my G2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, in my experience with my PA10 gen1....

I ordered several ASC 20 rounders. Will only hold 19 rounds and doesnt work very good unless you run like 14 rounds or less.

I ordered several more ASC 20 rounders and they will hold 20 rounds but unless you run less like 14 or 16, it doesn't feed very well.

I noticed on the first batch, the floorplate says ASC LLC. On the second batch, it says ASC. With both ASC models, sometimes they wont lock in the magwell no matter how hard you hit it.

Pmag M3 mags, they hold 20, seat nicely, and run flawlessly.

One man's experience......

Edit: I just pulled both ASC mags out looking at them again. I notice the springs are a lot stronger than the Pmag. Using a ruler and pushing on the follower on the 19 rounder, the depth changes, maybe it will hold 20 rounds sometimes. I guess cutting on the spring might be worth a shot before throwing them away.

Read someone say the springs may be in backwards?  Oh joy...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the tips for ASC mags for a PA10 gen1? Other than I shouldn't have bought them?

Went to ASC website, nothing about service or warranty or returns. Doesn't even look like you can order an extra magazine spring or individual parts. (extra parts for 10 round 308 mag, but not 20)  Their blog link is dead, probably a good idea lol....

Trading material I guess......
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Did some investigation today.

The Pmag is locking in easier because it's locking in lower, earlier than the ASC. You can see on the upper where the ASC is leaving marks from the feed lips when I'm slapping it home to try to catch.

I took a hair off the mag catch opening on the mag, a lot smoother now, and still locks in higher.

What I used to measure the differences in height is how much a bolt lug engages the cartridge.

The ASC magazine spring is much stronger and doesnt seem to be consistent in stacking during compressing causing only 19 to load sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I've noticed some ASC mags I've picjed up in 9mm, 223, and 308 sometimes have a follower spring reversed in them.  I have noticed examples in all three calibers tried.  Not sure if they miss it in QC, but when I've disassembled from new,  several mag springs were reversed.  I'm wondering if some of the problems with them mentioned here, are related potentially to reversed springs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Which way is the correct way for the follower spring?  I took two apart,  both were the same.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which way is the correct way for the follower spring?  I took two apart,  both were the same.
Thanks!
View Quote
I believe the correct position is with the spring oriented so that the end of the spring that is most upward is in the front  - giving some guidance and lift for cartridges moving up and forward into feedramps and  chamber.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe the correct position is with the spring oriented so that the end of the spring that is most upward is in the front  - giving some guidance and lift for cartridges moving up and forward into feedramps and  chamber.
View Quote
Excellent,  I thought so too but both of these I have taken apart has the high part of the spring pressing up on the rear of the follower that supports the base of the cartridge. They are hell to unload by hand, noses keep dipping into the frame.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Spent some time searching for AR10 and M14 magazine schematics.

Looks like they spring should be towards the front?

On the M14 the part of the spring is flat with the end pointing towards the front and the first bend under the rear of the follower though.

On the AR10 looks like it is attached to the center of the follower with the bend towards the rear also.

This ain't rocket science, I feel I'm wasting my time over nothing.

I'll take 19 reliable rounds over 20 questionable...

So which way should it go in the ASC mag?

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, nobody knows.....lol

Primary Arms has the ASC 5, 10, and 20 round mags for 11.99 right now.
Fwiw
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got the new ASC 20s in today from Primary Arms, spring is still oriented where the end of the spring is facing rearward supporting the base of the cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Just to throw an idea out there.

If you're really wanting to try the Brownells mag, today only I see they have 1c shipping any size order.

I may get a couple to see just how they perform.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
fwiw

Brownells extended their 1c shipping thru the 4th.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunately, even at 1 cent, that's overcharging for UPS Mail Innovation shipping.
I'd order more from Brownells if it didn't cost so much for regular old brown label UPS.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Excellent,  I thought so too but both of these I have taken apart has the high part of the spring pressing up on the rear of the follower that supports the base of the cartridge. They are hell to unload by hand, noses keep dipping into the frame.
View Quote
ASC never responded to my inquiry.

Anyone ever cut these magazine springs? Seems the Pmag springs are so much weaker. I have some AK mag springs, may see what jams I can create. M14 mag springs probably be a better bet....

I just feel ASC could make a huge improvement if theyd take a short moment to change a few dimensions. When loaded to 20, they wont lock into rifle because the follower is bottomed out and it cant give anymore for the clearance the closed bolt needs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just to throw an idea out there.

If you're really wanting to try the Brownells mag, today only I see they have 1c shipping any size order.

I may get a couple to see just how they perform.....
View Quote
Fwiw

Received several 20 rnd Brownells.

Will not feed from one side on PA10 gen1 but will from gen2.

Issue is base of cartridge isnt coming up to mag feed lips. Gen2 seems to reach deeper and can overcome issue.

Pmags and ASC work fine and no bolt overs with same rifles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, nobody knows.....lol

Primary Arms has the ASC 5, 10, and 20 round mags for 11.99 right now.
Fwiw
View Quote
I bought some ASC 10 rounders.  Drop free, feed positively.  Seems to be some great mags.
Obviously I have no idea how they will hold up long term.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I bought some ASC 10 rounders.  Drop free, feed positively.  Seems to be some great mags.
Obviously I have no idea how they will hold up long term.
View Quote
My ASC 20s are growing on me as I gain confidence and modify them a hair.

I have a few CProducts 20s on the way to test, that will give me four different companies' 20 rounders to test.

The Brownells just ain't right to me. I guess that's why they are dumping them at ten bucks each.

Take a 20 round Brownells and load a round or several. Press down on the rear of the cartridge, every time, the cartridge will not return to the top. Hand cycling dummies causes bolt overs on my gen1 every time. The gen2 barely catches it, but the rear of the follower isn't coming up properly. I'll try them at the range next trip out and see but I'm not holding my breath.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top