Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2017 6:01:32 PM EDT
AR15 carbine extension with Palmetto 308 buffer (DPMS?) and DPMS spring is a go? I have a spring I've purchased a long time ago that I thought was a DPMS 308 carbine spring. But it collapses fully and still prevents the carrier from clearing the bolt catch; it's too long. It's shorter than my rifle-length AR15 springs. Must be the AR-10 carbine spring, right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
AR15 carbine extension with Palmetto 308 buffer (DPMS?) and DPMS spring is a go? I have a spring I've purchased a long time ago that I thought was a DPMS 308 carbine spring. But it collapses fully and still prevents the carrier from clearing the bolt catch; it's too long. It's shorter than my rifle-length AR15 springs. Must be the AR-10 carbine spring, right?
View Quote

The reason you cannot pull back BCG far enough to clear bolt catch is that your buffer tube is 3/4" too short. PSA 308 buffer is actually AR15 buffer not sure the weight. For 308 you need to use PSA or Armalite or A5 buffer tube, which is 3/4" longer than standard AR15 tube. As for the spring, DPMS 308 carbine spring has 29 coils and ~11.5" long.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a complete CMMG 308 lower. It has the same buffer tube (AR15 carbine), same buffer (308, short) but a different spring from anything I have laying around. It works perfectly with 2 assembled 308 uppers. I'll need to count the number of coils on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
CMMG spring is 26 coils and 10.75" long...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top