Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2017 9:47:56 PM EDT
So I finally built my own 6.5G rifle...

I appreciate his advice... he was always quick to respond to IM's when I had questions. I'll be adding a Inforce white/IR light and an IR laser as this will be my new hunting rifle for hogs. Also will need a sling. I have a couple Specter Gear slings but I think I'll just use a nice 2-pt. Might upgrade the trigger later, depends on range results.

I wanted something with a little more ass than my .223 rifle and it was either this or something in 6.8SPC. I came across a barrel/bolt (AA/JP) in the EE and bam... the decision was made/final.

Barrel- AA 16" fluted with the 1 PF Nox FS
Bolt- JP
Lower- LRB
Upper- who knows...lol
Standard LPK
Seekins Rail and Adj. GB
MagPul stock and grip
Leupold MK AR 3-9 scope/Leupold mount

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is your handguard so short?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is your handguard so short?
View Quote

I like the gas block exposed on my rifles, it's a MLG system and the HG is 9.25". With the stock extended, it fits me nice, I'm a short dude at 5'07". I like the short HG look on rifles too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice rifle.
He certainly doesn't help with the savings account does he?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice rifle, congrats!

I'm having the same issue with 'that guy' 
Going to sell a 308 bolt action to fund a JP grendel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice rifle, congrats!

View Quote

I'm selling all my 6.8 stuff to fund a .308
He talked me into the DD
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh that's going to knock some wind out of the hogs and yotes you've been chasing lately.  Need a spotter?lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like the gas block exposed on my rifles, it's a MLG system and the HG is 9.25". With the stock extended, it fits me nice, I'm a short dude at 5'07". I like the short HG look on rifles too.
View Quote

Sweet. While I don't necessarily need the gas block exposed, the shorter hand guards are definitely in good taste...

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice rifle, congrats!

View Quote

No shit. That guy's a total asshole with his solid logic and well put together posts that leave little to no room for debate....

I'm getting setup for reloading finally because of his crap.

I'm not ditching my large frame AR, but an getting a 6.5C barrel and spare upper to build upon. Totally enjoy his posts and info he spits out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Frankly, I think LRRP should be banned.  If there was ever an example of unabashed shillery, this is it.  I'm sure the 6.5G consortium is lining his pockets with coin on a regular basis to promote their wares.  We don't need his kind around here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]
His posts convinced me to build my first

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#11]
@Et2ss
How do you like that side charger?  Any issues?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I know you can shoot so how's the gun shoot?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know you can shoot so how's the gun shoot?
View Quote

Hit the range today to get the scope sighted in. No functioning issues except I might have to open up the gas a little. Bolt goes back far enough to pick up the next round 100%, but on the last round, the bolt holds open but the bolt catch is catching the front of the carrier and not the bolt face. I was wondering why when loading directly after a bolt lock back the first round from a fresh magazine was not making into the rifle.

As far as accuracy goes, I'm pleased so far with the factory ammo coming in at about 1 1/2" at 100 yards. Stock trigger has a ton of creep and the Mark AR reticle is quite thick, covering at least inch at 100 yards so it's no "precision rig"... but it was not intended to be such.

Below is an example of what it was doing... my reticle completely covers the number and there were some "lucky" groups where several bullets were touching out of the five and a group where one bullet just went off and did its own thing... like a good inch away from the major group.

Overall VERY PLEASED with the initial results. I doubt I'll mess with anything as the performance I'm getting is way more than adequate for a mid-range (200 yards and in) light-weight hunting rifle.

ETA- this shows how the bolt was being caught by the front of the carrier and not the bolt itself...

Catching on the carrier...

Catching on the boltlike it should...

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I just bough a mega matched upper/lower set to start a new build, because this LRRPF52 guy won't stop blabbing about 6.5G. 

Just got a new job, so I know where my first month's pay increase is going, and it's certainly not into savings. 

If I ever run into that guy...

...I'll probably buy him a beer and a steak. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I built 2 and named my dog Grendel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
LRRP claims another convert!!!  LOL.

I have a buddy that own's one of the machine shops that I do business with....he's a big 6.5 nut, too.  My lab assistant and I have to CONSTANTLY tell ourselves:  "We are NOT buying in!  We are NOT buying in!!!!"
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
LRRP can take some credit for the Grendels success, good info is good info.

Some great loads are here and developing, Grendel will have a Great year.

I use them differently, but I'd be lost without the 6.8  and 6.5 Grendel.  Past years I've hunted with a 20 inch 6.8, this year I'll probably go with a 16 inch 6.5G with Noslers 129 Long range pill(WHAT a combo).

In the shop and on the Property, 6.8s get the call with 30 rd Pmags stuffed with 110 ABs or 85gr TSX(for now), sucks SSA ammo went away, ammo not loaded as hot anymore :(

I am trending more toward the G!!  years back on the G forum we got a great deal on Nosler 123 CCs projos, man I need that to come BACK.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@Et2ss
How do you like that side charger?  Any issues?
View Quote

Just saw your call out

No issues that I can detect, I'll let you know more when I get some ammo to feed it

Couldn't go wrong for the price. Got it from S & I Arsenal for $200 complete (with 5.56 bolt)

It's a Bear Creek upper receiver combo. As far as I can tell it's the discontinued LAR billet side charger
without the left side milled for the charging handle. The carrier is tapped for the left side handle placement.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just saw your call out

No issues that I can detect, I'll let you know more when I get some ammo to feed it

Couldn't go wrong for the price. Got it from S & I Arsenal for $200 complete (with 5.56 bolt)

It's a Bear Creek upper receiver combo. As far as I can tell it's the discontinued LAR billet side charger
without the left side milled for the charging handle. The carrier is tapped for the left side handle placement.
View Quote

Thanks

There are so many flavors of side charger out there it is hard to nail down pros/cons/ manufacturer/ issues etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Frankly, I think LRRP should be banned.  If there was ever an example of unabashed shillery, this is it.  I'm sure the 6.5G consortium is lining his pockets with coin on a regular basis to promote their wares.  We don't need his kind around here.
View Quote

Correct.  This cartridge and my lack of compensation for it has actually netted me a lot less than if I was actually spending time at a job that paid me.

One of the AA employees at SHOT told me he hated me.

I asked him first about volume of sales on the 16" fluted barrels.

He said, "Those things have been selling like crack, and we can barely keep up."

I grinned a sadistic smirk, then said I've been telling everyone about them online.

"THAT WAS YOU?  I HATE YOU!"

That's my compensation.

To be totally open, none of the 6.5 Grendel manufacturers have ever asked me to post a thing about their products.  Mark from PF asked me to help him with range day and his booth at SHOT 2 years ago, for which I was compensated with hotel accommodations for me and the family.  He never once asked for anything else.

AA sent me some discontinued 90gr TNT factory ammo back in 2012 I think.  It was maybe 4 boxes, with no expectation of anything on my end.  They made good fodder for my nephews to shoot steel with for fun, and generate some Lapua brass for reloading.

AA also short-chambered a barrel for me, and made a custom gas tube for it.  No hints of quid-pro-quo were ever mentioned.  I know Bill has replaced barrels and bolts for people who sent him unknown uppers that wouldn't shoot, even though it was well outside of his responsibility to do so.  I've seen that happen several times.

The only thing that drives my satisfaction with 6.5 Grendel is what it does.  There is no artificial promotion involved on my end.  Sales of reloading handbooks are a great way to empty your bank account or rack up debt, as there are barely enough margins in niche market books to pay for part of the next print run, so that has been a labor of love that has sucked way more years of effort than it is worth on a balance sheet.

I still think it was worth it though since these handbooks turned out way better than I ever imagined.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Agree with all of the above..................nothing he says makes any damned sense......

My upper,mags and ammo will be here tomorrow........super excited...

Just retired the end of Feb. this is my first gun related purchase since,i have LOTS of time to shoot now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#22]
What frustrates me the most about 6.5 Grendel, is trying to find a good barrel in stock & not having to wait 10-12 weeks to get one. Who has good barrels in stock??
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
He got me on one of them too.  Just a pile-o-parts yet though.

Quoted:
What frustrates me the most about 6.5 Grendel, is trying to find a good barrel in stock & not having to wait 10-12 weeks to get one. Who has good barrels in stock??
View Quote
Bunch of barrels in stock but with the growth I have seen in the 6 months I have been packratting parts there is a lot of new stuff with no reviews and nobody has used yet.

All I need is a barrel and a stock for a functioning rifle.  Still leaning towards an 18" AA barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lilja.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Eh I expose my gas blocks too. Don't build for looks. My .223 has rifle length gas and cheap hand guard too just like my Grendel
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea, that guy is really a pita.  So much so I just ordered barrel #5.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He got me on one of them too.  Just a pile-o-parts yet though.

Bunch of barrels in stock but with the growth I have seen in the 6 months I have been packratting parts there is a lot of new stuff with no reviews and nobody has used yet.

All I need is a barrel and a stock for a functioning rifle.  Still leaning towards an 18" AA barrel.
View Quote
http://www.jsesurplus.com/JSEMULTIPLECALIBERBARREL/BOLTCOMBOS.aspx
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Great rifle and round. I have one in the works also
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Do my eyes decieve me, but it looks like the bolt from JSE above only has a .125 depth face not the true grendel.136"?  But they do say it is a SAAMI chamber... no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought those AA lite barrels were supposed to be bead blasted. It looks more like a machine finish, unless it is just the flash from the camera.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do my eyes decieve me, but it looks like the bolt from JSE above only has a .125 depth face not the true grendel.136"?  But they do say it is a SAAMI chamber... no thanks.
View Quote
SAAMI doesn't specify bolt face depth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#33]
@BigPolska

Lost this thread for a while.

In answer to your earlier question, that upper runs fine. The brass bounces of of the charging handle and kind of ricochets
off of the upper just above the charging handle slot, as you can see in the pic. No big deal for me but thought anyone concerned should
be aware of

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@BigPolska

Lost this thread for a while.

In answer to your earlier question, that upper runs fine. The brass bounces of of the charging handle and kind of ricochets
off of the upper just above the charging handle slot, as you can see in the pic. No big deal for me but thought anyone concerned should
be aware of

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117786/photomagic-1--1--191120.JPG
View Quote
Thanks for the update and the information
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top