Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 12:56:14 AM EDT
I have a BA NiB BCG and SS barrel. The bolt is very tight inside the carrier. Sometimes it locks up so tight on an empty chamber, I have to mortar it (lightly). I've had tight 556 BCGs that would loosen up after a mag or 2. I've put 150 rounds through the new rifle, however, without much effect. Cycles fine. Is this a common thing with 308 ARs?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had guns that stick on a full chamber but not an empty one.

You're saying that it runs fine but only sticks on an empty chamber?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a BA NiB BCG and SS barrel. The bolt is very tight inside the carrier. Sometimes it locks up so tight on an empty chamber, I have to mortar it (lightly). I've had tight 556 BCGs that would loosen up after a mag or 2. I've put 150 rounds through the new rifle, however, without much effect. Cycles fine. Is this a common thing with 308 ARs?
View Quote

Mine is like this also...AP Nib bolt

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had guns that stick on a full chamber but not an empty one.

You're saying that it runs fine but only sticks on an empty chamber?
View Quote

Well, it sticks with a round in the chamber, too. I just don't have a reason to cycle the bolt, if it's loaded.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the bolt feel tight in the carrier out of the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you headspace it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you headspace it?
View Quote

If it is tight on an empty chamber it probably doesn't have much to do with headspace.

OP, does the bolt move freely in the carrier when you are holding it in your hand?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this a home-built gun or a factory-built gun?

Can you pull the BCG and look inside the upper can you tell if the barrel extension is rotated at all?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, It is quite snug.  Much more so than any ar15.  Just feels like it needs to be fired more.  I probable have close to 500 rounds through it.  Accuracy totally sucks but it has been reliable.  I do need to tune the gas block once I find something it likes.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top