Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2016 9:29:23 PM EDT
...searched ARFCOM and now I am on the fence.

Seem to be a lot of negatives discussed about this rifle, but then people are more apt to discuss their displeasure than the opposite.

So, what is the consensus?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one. It didn't feed very well from the factory mag but does well with a pmag. I've got no complaints but I haven't shot it all that much either. I do plan on replacing the quad rail with something a little smoother and a little longer. Overall it seems like a nice, well built firearm. It's definitely not your Walmart model DPMS.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't have one, but have an Adams Arms small frame, which is a piston gun version.  Just feels better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
My only experience with the G2 is with a co-worker's Recon. Would not feed from a Magpul (known issue with a lot of them. Feed lips were scrapped badly by bolt). BAD primer cratering. Firing pin aperture was too big plus gun is way over gassed. Also a known issue. They apparently updated the aperture on new production bolts. Either it somehow wasn't a new production rifle or it somehow got an old one. I think it had bad head spacing too, since it fired out of battery, blew the mag to bits and locked up the gun. DPMS sent it to some gun smith, he hasn't been updated yet. Been nearly a month.
I would personally never buy a Freedom Group product. They are running the quality of most of the brand names under them in to the ground. Local gun store ordered its last Marlin. Maxed out a trigger gauge (14 lbs IIRC) and you needed a cheater bar to work the lever. Nice and gritty too.
It already has competition in the small frame 308 market, and will have more soon. If you have to have one I would aim for the Hunter and Remington R25 GII since they are at least rifle length gas and probably the least harsh.
They are pumping these things out, and it has been showing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I got a good one. It is a recent purchase and over gassed and even though it has a too large firing pin hole it has not malfunctioned yet. However, I have not shot it much, just a few hundred rounds. Mostly my handloads of 40.0 H4895 w/168 Sierras and Speer btsp hunting bullets. The Federal M80 stuff is too hot giving case rim pulls and cratered primers. However, the newly purchased, horribly inaccurate IMI M80 stuff is ok on the pressure.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seem to be a lot of negatives discussed about this rifle, but then people are more apt to discuss their displeasure than the opposite.

So, what is the consensus?
View Quote

I've been using a G2 Hunter for almost two years. Beautifully balanced and sized for .308. Most 308 AR's are over-gassed so toss that gripe out the window. With the stock gas block all ammo ran through but I could feel the hotter loads like Hornady Superformance. With the adjustable gas block I quickly figured out which powders need what setting.

I replaced the stock trigger with LaRue and all I can say is....WOW!!

Sub MOA with Fed Match 168gr. Even the worst crap shot under 2" like Turk junk or vintage USGI MG ammo.

IWI mags is all I use and they are perfect. I do have metal DPMS and Pmags from a previous 308 AR but haven't used them on this gun.

Its my dream 308 AR. Don't what else to add.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Hunter and it function flawlessly.  I only shoot quality ammo and even ordinary Blue Box 150 gr. Federal groups 1 1/4 inch.  I do use Superformance for hunting only and did install an adjustable gas block.  Since this variety has a rifle length gas system, the Superformance was not as hard on cases as a middy would be.  My sons Armalite with a middy system nearly rips the rims off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at Windhams. Chrome barrel, mid length gas,  15" Midwest keymod rail. Real light as well. Just a hair bigger than my 5.56 rifles. Almost wouldn't know it's a .308. Can be had for $1250
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Despite and maybe also because of DPMS' development of the more compact .308 AR platform, I hope they continue to improve it.  And I hope it becomes the...maybe...somewhat...kind of...milspec standard in the big AR category.  I love my two Armalite .308's, but they're heavy...very heavy...and so are most other more "standard" .308 platforms.  However, there is the long term durability to consider especially as we see lots of complaints and problems with many of the established, bigger AR platforms that have been in existence for some time.  While .308 and its children calibers aren't 50 BMG, they are usually harder on components than most any AR15.  Still, just like in motorcycle and automotive venues, we've seen technology do more and more with smaller sizes and less weight while still maintaining more than acceptable reliability.  It should also be so in the bigger caliber AR arena too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The original ArmaLite in the 1950s developed the small frame AR10A, which is what was passed off to Colt, who then tooled up to manufacture it, then halted in favor of the AR15 in 1959.

Colt is the first one to re-introduce the small frame AR10 to the market with the Colt 901 several years ago, followed by DPMS with the GII, which is a much different gun.

MGI also tried and failed with the QCB and modular lower using an M14 magazine well with no bolt catch, but they just wouldn't run, and the barrel diameter around the chamber was too thin for the hoop.

I looked at another Recon at Sportsman's yesterday.  The receivers still feel a little large for me when I think about what a lightweight AR15 feels like.

Somehow I missed the chance to go by Mega's booth at SHOT this year, as I would have really liked to handle the new SF MA-TEN.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
LRRP, thanks for that history info on the original AR10 and Colt sizing in .308.  I don't think I ever realized that.  Too many .308 AR "standards" to keep up with...LOL!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LRRP, thanks for that history info on the original AR10 and Colt sizing in .308.  I don't think I ever realized that.  Too many .308 AR "standards" to keep up with...LOL!
View Quote

Spending time in the Retro sub forum here can be a real education about the origins of Stoner's designs, and many of the guns that most people have never even heard about.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like my G2 Hunter. It's very accurate and shoots sub MOA.
The firing pin did chip off at the tip. Not to sure what that was all about.
It is over gassed and it's rough on brass. I plan of replacing the gas block.
The "Match Grade" trigger sucks. It has a pretty stiff 6 lbs pull. I think my groups will shrink when I put in a decent trigger.
It's a well balanced rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got a g2 bull used off the ee from a member here,i really like it,accurate, and very reliable, I haven't had 1 malfunction, but I have a syrac ordnance adjustable gasbloc on the rifle.I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

While this may be true, my view is that I'd much rather go with a rifle that has little to no negatives discussed about it than one that has a lot.  That is what led me to go with Armalite over the DPMS GII for my .308.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

While this may be true, my view is that I'd much rather go with a rifle that has little to no negatives discussed about it than one that has a lot.  That is what led me to go with Armalite over the DPMS GII for my .308.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thinking I might go with a Colt 901.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been blessed to own several 308 semi autos, M1A, Armilite AR10( one a Gap, one a 16" carbine), Bar10, and a Rock River LAR-8. I never did get around to DPMS until I became interested in the G2 and picked up a G2 Recon this week. I decided to follow the shoot/clean(every shot for the first 20 for example) procedure they recommend, and stuck a red dot in place and went to the range and shot 200 rounds. It is a soft recoil shooter, much nicer that my AR10 16", and there were no issues whatsoever. Bolt locked back every time, and there were no jams or misfires. When I finally got to the part of the break in to shoot 5 rounds before cleaning it was flawless and 5" groups(100 yds) were easy. Now, my old eyes need more than a red dot to really see what the G2 will do, but with the results today I know it will be very good with a big scope and finding out what ammo it likes. It has a good trigger that while it's not a "G" it has a nice two stage that keeps you on target. I really like it better than any I've owned and wouldn't mind going hog hunting right now as it is not to heavy to carry in the woods.  If, I have any fails as I get more rounds down range I will update. Regards
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been blessed to own several 308 semi autos, M1A, Armilite AR10( one a Gap, one a 16" carbine), Bar10, and a Rock River LAR-8. I never did get around to DPMS until I became interested in the G2 and picked up a G2 Recon this week. I decided to follow the shoot/clean(every shot for the first 20 for example) procedure they recommend, and stuck a red dot in place and went to the range and shot 200 rounds. It is a soft recoil shooter, much nicer that my AR10 16", and there were no issues whatsoever. Bolt locked back every time, and there were no jams or misfires. When I finally got to the part of the break in to shoot 5 rounds before cleaning it was flawless and 5" groups(100 yds) were easy. Now, my old eyes need more than a red dot to really see what the G2 will do, but with the results today I know it will be very good with a big scope and finding out what ammo it likes. It has a good trigger that while it's not a "G" it has a nice two stage that keeps you on target. I really like it better than any I've owned and wouldn't mind going hog hunting right now as it is not to heavy to carry in the woods.  If, I have any fails as I get more rounds down range I will update. Regards
View Quote

Good info!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Meh. I've got well over 4000 rounds through my G2 MOE. All surplus ball or Wolf steel case. Only issue were with some D&H magazines which seem to have worked themselves out with break in. Either generation Magpul and the Israeli mags have been flawless.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#19]
i've seen 2 Gii recons go through some pretty good use and a hunter thats been pretty good

initial production G2, even i was skeptical, went through a 5 day rifle class, over 2500+...only a couple malf, which iirc were attributed to mags

another has a few hundred through it, no problems

hunter, only complaint, left handed shooter, brass hits him in the face
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Have a g2 hunter,  great shooting gun, accurate, great balance but a bit overgassed which is easy enough to fix.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i've seen 2 Gii recons go through some pretty good use and a hunter thats been pretty good

initial production G2, even i was skeptical, went through a 5 day rifle class, over 2500+...only a couple malf, which iirc were attributed to mags

View Quote

My GII Hunter, bought early last year, has been flawless. I did modify the followers on the Magpul magazines (latest Gen), which was quick and easy. With open sights, it shoots way better than I do.

With Winchester and Federal 147-149 grain mil spec it is accurate, and functions great. For some reason, the $12.50 a box Perfecta from Walmart, although it is accurate, and shoots to the same point of aim, taps me on the right cheek, just below the cheek bone, enough that 40-60 rounds will leave a nice red mark, more burn than anything. I honestly didn't realize it was even doing it until after I was done shooting. Not sure how I'll adjust for that. That ammunition is super for the price, and yields nice reloadable brass, so I'm going to figure it out.

I like mine enough that I'm going to buy another to make into something of a CQB rifle, shortening the barrel, threading it, and installing a suppressor. So, yeah, I really like mine. A lot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I just recently picked up a G2 recon and took it out yesterday for the first time.  Ran 200 rounds of steel case, 100 rounds of old reloads, 100 rounds of 175gr SSA and 100 rounds of 175gr FGMM through it.  Zero malfunctions.  2"-3.5" groups w/ the steel case ammo, .75"-1" groups with the good stuff.  (I'm not the best shot mind you)
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats my concern as a lefty, Im also debating the g2 vs lr-308, for a hunting rifle.  G2 looks to be roughly 1.25 lbs. lighter but the lr-308 has more room from the deflector to the charging handle (nose to ch shooter).
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Just put in an order for a Colt 901-16SE.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top