Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 7:09:37 PM EDT
Well, what's the heaviest subs we can cycle in an AR?

What options are there for casting boolits?

I am just curious.  Seeing as we are limited by speed, the only way to add energy is with more mass, so if I was chasing K.E., how heavy could I get it?

btw- I don't have any depleted uranium, so that's out of the question.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about an AR, but these are pretty heavy.
http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=182&category=6&secondary=&keywords=

I've used 250 gr Sierra Matchkings in the past.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't disassemble my can so I stick with jacketed bullets.  The heaviest one Sierra lists now is their 240 grain HPBT, but holy smoke they're proud of them.  For more economical shooting, I like the Hornady 225 grn HPBTs.  They cycle swimmingly well in my 9" Noveske tube over a midweight charge of 1680.  You can find that bullet on sale for as little as 31 cents a pop.  That's nowhere near cast prices, but at least it's not Sierra prices, either.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The bullet casters like me have mostly settled on 240-250grn bullets. Most are powder coating. There are a few molds specific to the blackout out there. I can also run them at lower velocity  and use less powder because of the weight. My cast subs run in the 980fps range. Less powder equates to better suppression in my experience and heavy bullets make a really nice "thud".
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top