Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:36:43 PM EDT
I am looking at building an AR 10 chambered in 260 rem. To go along with my Savage 12 LRP 260. I'm looking for long range precision. So quality parts are a must. I have built a couple 15s. Nothing on the level of this build. So few questions for you.
I'm building ground up.
So ideas on compatible parts?
Krieger. Bartlein etc barrels?
Armalite lower uppers?
Triggers
Stocks
Bolts
Any and all

Few things I know I want.
It must be accurate to at least 1000yards
260 rem chambered
Flutted bull barrel
1:8 twist
minimum 24" barrel
Adjustable trigger to 2lb
Want to keep weight of rifle inline. So ideas to make that possible but appreciated also.

All in all spend $2500 minus scope.

What's your thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I had GA Precision do my last one for me using a Bartlein barrel, with the chamber cut specifically for feeding from mags of course, but shooting bullets like the 139gr Scenar.

I ended up liking the 130gr VLD more, and mine feeds them reliably for some reason, whereas everyone else I know can't get VLD's to work in a gasser because they hit the breech of the barrel through the locking lug notches between the barrel extension teeth where the feed ramps are.

Anyway, there are several companies that have drop-in barrels for .260 Rem., but I'm not sure what reamer they are using.  I get .4" - .6" groups for 5rds repeatably, so I'm happy with how GAP did me, as usual.

One of the biggest considerations to look at is your bolt, namely the firing pin aperture ID.  Make sure it isn't larger than .060". Most are closer to .080", which will lead to cratered and pierced primers in many cases.  BTDT

I would start at your BCG, then your barrel, and work outwards to the gas system, then recoil system while looking at the receiver set.

I personally think ArmaLite Inc. has the best BCG since it has balanced loading on the lugs, sprung firing pin, and an actual engineering department with two decades of RDT&E and CS with AR10's.

There are a lot of lightweight carriers coming onto the market, following JP's trend with the LMOS, which is meant to be used in conjunction with adjustable gas.

If I were doing a .260 Rem build right now, I would want to do it on DPMS GII receivers and BCG/Extension.

I would also look at the JP Silent Capture Spring system for the AR10.

Geissele triggers are very popular as well.  I have an SSA in mine.  SSA-E with the skeletonized hammer will reduce PIV.

Krieger, Lilja, JP, Precision Firearms, and BHW have drop-in options last time I checked.

This is basically a reloader's rifle, at least mine is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]

No problem on being a reloading rifle. I reload for my Savage 12 LPR .260 and F Class Custom 6.5x55 anyway.

Why the DPMS GII receiver?
If you are shooting 260 is your barrel 1:8 or 1:9?

Thanks for info.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible to have the lower receiver engraved with the 260 rem caliber?  Instead of the standard 308/762?  I don't want add it to it. Be to confusing.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top