Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 2:19:58 PM EDT
Hello!

I've always wanted a JP LRP-07 due to the side charge, but doing window shopping I'm open to other options.  

I really want something versatile; I've looked at the SCAR, Wilson Combat, KAC (would never spend that amount of $) and Larue etc.  

I then read about the LMT LM8MWS; doesn't seem to be many threads on it and the barrel removal is pretty unique.  Have read the weight is a little high; 9.3 with the latest slick version.  I wouldn't leave the BUIS sights on though (plan to use an Optic).    

I notice it doesn't have an adjustable gas block and some threads say it's over gassed; I would like to run suppressed from time to time.  

I would like some input from anyone who has any experience with the LM8MWS.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two LMTs...I liked the first one so much that I bought a second.  They're built like tanks by a great company, and they're currently deployed in the British armed forces.  

Some advantages are that you can easily swap barrels / calibers...though I do not.   Both of mine have the plane ole 16" chrome lined barrels, and they're plenty accurate for my purposes.  

Their one disadvantage that I know if as that they are heavy...it doesn't bother me.  

They're accurate, reliable, and backed by one of the best companies in the business.

Knights are supposed to be better, and for almost double the price, they'd better be.  LaRues are supposed to be more accurate, I suppose so I guess...no personal knowledge.

The newest "in" thing is for .308's to be lighter.  DPMS has a new offering that's pretty popular in the light weight category.  I'm fine with heavy.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
boarklr..  

What kind of accuracy and loads does yours like?  I don't reload, but I would be getting the 1:11.25 barrel.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My first one has an ACOG, so I do not shoot groups per se.  My new one I've just gotten set up and haven't done more than sighted her in roughly...we'll see.

A lot of users have posted moa accuracy with the SS barrel...and not much worse with the CL.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
For the record, I'm shooting sub-MOA with my 16" chrome lined MWS.  These are great guns- don't hesitate to get one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#5]
You will not be able to buy anything out there in whatever price range that will be a better overall gun then the LMT. One might be more accurate or lighter or have a little more glitz with it but overall, I do not think that you will find anything that is better overall. They are accurate, very easy to change out barrels and tough as nails. If you are interested in a gun that is incredibly versatil and will do most anything you want it to do, consider the LMT. The KAC and Larue are more accurate by a small degree but hell, if the gun isn't as accurate as you want, get another barrel to try out. You can buy several of them for the diff in cost between the LMT and the other 2.

There is a guy on here or the M4carbine web site that goes by the moniker of Trident, he has vast knowledge of the LMT platform. And the slick side is one bad ass piece of kt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have owned 2 gen 2 full quad rail models and a slick side model. I sold them and i regret letting them go more than any other gun purchase in my life time. They are reliable, accurate and of the highest quality. To me they are 3/4 of the way to a KAC with respect to refinements but suffer no appreciable loss in quality or reliability. The only negative in my opinion is the balance.

The MWS barrels are heavyweights and seemed nose heavy to me which is why i have owned so many of them. I kept bouncing between the scar 17s and the MWS. Once you put optics to suit the capabilities on an MWS it seems to balance better (to me). If you buy one, know you are getting a quality combat proven system that is adaptable to varying scenarios and able to grow with your skill sets and please, NEVER SELL IT.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Have had my LM8 for about a year and LOVE it.  Mine came w/ a 16" C/L barrel, but when I ordered it, LMT had the 18" SS tubes in stock so I bought one of those as well for precision shooting.

So absolutely, I have to echo what others here have said about what a great rifle LMT's 7.62/.308 MRP is.

Now, not to steal the OP's general inquiry, but have any of you MWS/LM8 experts swapped out the factory recoil spring for an XP spring and/or a heavier buffer?

If so, specifically what XP spring are you running and where did you get it?
And ditto on a heavier buffer if you put one in(?).

Mine runs fine, but I think it needs some of the recoil tamed a bit, especially with the 16" tube in.

I've also got a 30-cal can in-bound and was thinking an XP spring would aid reliability when running the can on the 16" barrel.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the record, I'm shooting sub-MOA with my 16" chrome lined MWS.  These are great guns- don't hesitate to get one.
View Quote

Mine too. An awesome gun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine is sub-MOA accurate with match ammo and the 16" CL barrel.  I have seen sub-0.5moa groups from the SS barrels.  

The MWS was a collaborative design effort between LMT and KAC, so you will see a lot of the same parts in both guns.  This includes the BCG.

The LMT was tested against the HK417 for the British Army L129A1 DMR submission.  The LMT was more accurate and MORE RELIABLE than the piston operated HK417.  This should tell you a lot about the rifle.

If the rifle is over-gassed for the loads you're using, invest in a JP SCS and swap the springs until you get the right one for the loads/suppressor.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top