Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]

That's pretty cool!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Very interesting. Needs a FA lower.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Can be made for full auto lowers, but rrquires a disconnector rod to trip the auto sear. That way it will only work if you have a full auto lower.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you think I should make some production prototypes?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you think I should make some production prototypes?
View Quote

I think you could probably sell a bunch of them, if you can make them pretty and get them on the market. I'd consider buying one, if it was reliable enough.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My next hurdle will be to make sure it feeds 9mm hollow points. Feed ramp is basically the same as a m-11/9. Many configurations are possible.
I have the basic dimensions now, And can have the parts cut by a water jet cutter. With the right welder, heat treating process and finish coating, It will look just as good as anything out there. the magic is, just pop 2 pins, and pop it on. No lower mods. A lot of firepower and weighs as much as an uzi smg with a 25 round mag, but with 4 times the ammo.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sporty.  I like it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Can we get pics of the final set up? What's all the boxy stuff in front of the drum? Would look killer SBRd
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I used an ncstar (uds) urban dot sight. With 2 angle sights to make a kind of periscope to get the bore and the red dot closer together. The calico pistols and rifles, have a bore to sight distance that is 3 inches or more, This is a very crude prototype. It has been cut and re-welded multiple times. It basically uses a cobray/mac 9mm bolt flipped upside down, for top feed. Hence the left hand ejection. If I can find some one who can make a cobray bolt with left hand ejection. The weapon will eject on the right hand side. Master piece arms offers a 16 barrel and handguard for carbines. Or you can use standard mac 9mm barrels for pistols, sbr's or smg's.

Here is a link on weaponeer and uzi talk,if you want to see build progress and videos.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11018&PN=1&TPN=1

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?77335-Carmac-Calico-AR-15-MAC-9mm-Upper

But just remember. This is a build concept. I just finally have the gremlins and measurements worked out. If there is interest I can make a few. Water jet cut and welded properly. Heat treating and phosphate. Or whatever coating is popular this week. The most expensive part is the bolt at $116 bucks. Parts and material are not very much. Very simple design. It can go anywhere from here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty cool dude keep at it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to ARFCOM.  Good to see you over here.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Wanted to see what the AR15 crowd would think......
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry.... Just like everything. New and improved...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the creativity and ingenuity. However it's a specific niche that isn't very large. How available and expensive are Calico drums? Are they known for reliability and even a 50 round drum seems like it would be heavy and awkward on top of the weapon.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  I like the creativity and ingenuity. However it's a specific niche that isn't very large. How available and expensive are Calico drums? Are they known for reliability and even a 50 round drum seems like it would be heavy and awkward on top of the weapon.
View Quote

http://www.calicolightweaponsystems.com/store/magazines-9mm-c-2_19_22.html
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Bottom ejection is possible with a custom bolt.
Cdnn has the drums cheaper. They are as reliable as most anything out there.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/50rd-9mm-calico-drum.html#.VZrRrGd0yDB

http://www.cdnnsports.com/9mm-100rd-calico-drum.html#.VZrRrWd0yDB
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I always wanted to see an upper made to use an American 180 style magazine.

Have it feed from the top and eject out of the magazine well.    A nice 150-200 round plate mag would be awesome on a full auto lower.

Making it even cooler would be if you could make the bolt reversible so that it could then feed from regular magazines feeding from the bottom and ejecting out the top...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#20]
In its current configuration.... That was my next step. I have a promag magwell adaptor, and was going to see if I could make it dual feed. But it seems everyone wants downward ejection through the magwell. Now this was made with off the shelf stuff. A custom bolt could be made for that, at of course, greater expense....
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#21]
According to UZI'S own website. The 9mm uzi comes in at 8.8lbs with a short barrel, folding buttstock and a loaded 25 rounded metal mag. The prototype matches that weight almost exactly. But with 4 times the amount of rounds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Still pondering on a sighting system. never really like the calico over drum set up. It can be incorporated, buuuuuuuut........
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Calico's were some of my favorite 9mm semi rifles, and I found them to be pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I always wondered when someone would do this.

Bravo!
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Still pondering on a sighting system. never really like the calico over drum set up. It can be incorporated, buuuuuuuut........
View Quote

Perhaps a bizon-type of feed?

Any way to invert the rounds in the mag?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Still pondering on a sighting system. never really like the calico over drum set up. It can be incorporated, buuuuuuuut........
View Quote

The periscope to a red dot sounds really cool.  That might work for an LER scope as well.  Could we see a good pic of that?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#27]
A bison type feed is possible. Another builder said he did it. I have a couple other prototypes I want to build using that set up.

Ler scope and periscope is an idea I can try on the current prototype. Let me see if I can upload some pics.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I obviously need to open a picture hosting website....
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Im thinking of making. 50 "A" models for testing. Pistol version and carbine version.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#30]
 Making FIFTY uppers?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Just an idea. I have the patterns to make them....
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn, man, let me know about one of those 50 uppers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#33]
send one and a mag my way, and i'll test for you
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Still a couple prototypes away. I need a measurement yet to get the proper sear trip rod length....
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Just stumbled on this.  Good work!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks..... More to come.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Talked to a machine shop to build custom bolts for my design. I need left hand ejection m11/9 type bolts. IM looking to make 50 beta models. For pistols and carbines...
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Sweet!

I've pondered something very similar, just too many other projects....
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#39]
If you make a short barreled version for those of us with SBR Lowers, I would buy one in a sec.

Are the magazines just the standard Calico Mag?  Are they hard to find?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#40]
http://www.cdnnsports.com/50rd-9mm-calico-drum.html#.VabWSmd0ymt

http://www.cdnnsports.com/9mm-100rd-calico-drum.html#.VabWS2d0ymt

Mags are a dime a dozen. I started with a pistol upper. Using a regular mac 11/9 barrel. They are only 36 bucks from MPA.

http://masterpiecearms.com/shop/9mm-6-threaded-barrel/
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#41]
3d modeling begins. First batch will be semi auto bolts, when completed.
2 versions, pistol and carbine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Still waiting on cad drawings.....
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I used an ncstar (uds) urban dot sight. With 2 angle sights to make a kind of periscope to get the bore and the red dot closer together. The calico pistols and rifles, have a bore to sight distance that is 3 inches or more, This is a very crude prototype. It has been cut and re-welded multiple times. It basically uses a cobray/mac 9mm bolt flipped upside down, for top feed. Hence the left hand ejection. If I can find some one who can make a cobray bolt with left hand ejection. The weapon will eject on the right hand side. Master piece arms offers a 16 barrel and handguard for
View Quote

Why not have them eject down thru the magwell?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used an ncstar (uds) urban dot sight. With 2 angle sights to make a kind of periscope to get the bore and the red dot closer together. The calico pistols and rifles, have a bore to sight distance that is 3 inches or more, This is a very crude prototype. It has been cut and re-welded multiple times. It basically uses a cobray/mac 9mm bolt flipped upside down, for top feed. Hence the left hand ejection. If I can find some one who can make a cobray bolt with left hand ejection. The weapon will eject on the right hand side. Master piece arms offers a 16 barrel and handguard for

That was going to be my suggestion, I'd rather have the gun eject down than be able to use another kind of magazine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Can always design a bolt. Something like a sten, but square.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  Can always design a bolt. Something like a sten, but square.
View Quote

A squen?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That was going to be my suggestion, I'd rather have the gun eject down than be able to use another kind of magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't prevent using the magwell for a magazine with another standard upper.  Ejector and extractor would still be on the bolt, as they are on an M11/9.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  It wouldn't prevent using the magwell for a magazine with another standard upper.  Ejector and extractor would still be on the bolt, as they are on an M11/9.
View Quote

And you'd be able to collect your brass in a stripped magazine body.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Needs a slidefire stock!

Awesome build!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It wouldn't prevent using the magwell for a magazine with another standard upper.  Ejector and extractor would still be on the bolt, as they are on an M11/9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP posted about wanting to be able to use a standard mag in addition to the calico mag earlier in the thread.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top