Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 12:39:11 AM EDT
Ok I have a Ares Armor .308 Signature Billet lower. It's an 80%er but that doesn't really matter. The issue is the Takedown pin extends at least 3/16" past the body of the lower and the pivot pin does not even get flush with the body of the lower. I tried pins out of a CMMG and Fulton Armory LPK.

Does anyone have any ideas? I will measure with a caliper tomorrow. On all my AR15'S the pins are sticking out even and not very far. I know these will work just looks funky.

Thanks all

PasoGunner
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
there is a chart some where that lists all of the different pins used between all of the manufacturers

here is a huge thread that may tell you which pin you need but it may not include the brand of lower you have

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/378850_AR10_FAQ_and_information_Small_Update_2012.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
i'd contact ares and see what they say.  welcome to the non standardized lr308.  i got an aero precision upper and lower and the pins that came with the LPK wouldnt fit either.  had to order them directly from aero.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. This is my first hiccup with this build! Probably not the last. I will call Ares Armor  here in a little while.

I will try and find that chart. Thanks for the link and all the help.

PasoGunner
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Dumb question but did you accidentally swap the pins? The pivot pin is longer than the takedown pin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a dumb question. I just rechecked the pins and they are in the right way. I have pictures but haven't u played them yet. I will try and call Ares Armor  and see what they say. I was gonna measure holes but can't measure lower thickness cause I can t measure with the milled indentation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]

" />

" />

Ok here is a pic of each pin. Both the Fulton Armory and CMMG LPK's are the same size pins.

Any help would be appreciated. I have an email into Ares Armor.

Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I just got off the phone with Ares Armor. They say their LPK will have pins that will be flush. Only reason I bought these other 2 kits is because they were out of stock and they said "any" DPMS style LPK would work. SO I now need to buy my 3rd LPK for this rifle. I am gonna be mad as you know what if their pins are not right!

Any other solutions would be helpful. I was hoping I could just but the pins from them but NO, I have to buy an entire LPK. The ones I had bought  did not come with FCG (have trigger already) but theirs will have the FCG.

Oh well. Learning lessons on the LR308 builds pretty quick!

Thanks everyone. If anyone knows a better plan than this Please Let Me Know!

Ares Armor LPK
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump

Does anyone know of pins that go by length? I would love to get just the pins.

Any help is appreciated
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump

Does anyone know of pins that go by length? I would love to get just the pins.

Any help is appreciated
View Quote

IIRC the Ares Armor 308 Lowers are re-badged TM 308's...The P/T pins should measure .276" to .278" in diameter, as
to pin lengths I don't recall off the bat...I would have to get to the safe and check...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can't but just pins from TM either. All my AR15  lowers have been TM 80%.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok I have a Ares Armor .308 Signature Billet lower. It's an 80%er but that doesn't really matter. The issue is the Takedown pin extends at least 3/16" past the body of the lower and the pivot pin does not even get flush with the body of the lower. I tried pins out of a CMMG and Fulton Armory LPK.

Does anyone have any ideas? I will measure with a caliper tomorrow. On all my AR15'S the pins are sticking out even and not very far. I know these will work just looks funky.

Thanks all

PasoGunner
View Quote

Aero Precision's M5 pins are a little longer than the rest. Try posting in their forum, they might give you a measurement.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Aero Precision's M5 pins are a little longer than the rest. Try posting in their forum, they might give you a measurement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks all

PasoGunner

Measurements of the Aero Precision pins as close as I can get with them installed:

Pivot Pin
 OAL 1.714
 Lower Width 1.550
 Visible End .044
 Effective Length 1.594

Takedown Pin
 OAL 1.170
 Lower Width 1.035
 Visible End .015
 Effective Length 1.050

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
jratc,

Thank you so much. I will measure my lower and pins when I get off work.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top