Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 4:28:26 PM EDT
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but was an armorer in the Army 30 years ago so I'm not new to the AR platform. Does anyone have the drawings or dimensions for go and no-go headspace gauges for 300 BLK? I'd like to make my own and save $70. I posted this already in the Basics Forum but only learned that I don't need to check it. I already know that I probably don't need to but would like to none the less.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the SAAMI homepage and look around. I'm sure they have all that listed there.

Greg
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to the SAAMI homepage and look around. I'm sure they have all that listed there.

Greg
View Quote

No, just case and chamber dimensions. I asked the same question on the 300 BlkTalk forum but haven't heard anything yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, just case and chamber dimensions. I asked the same question on the 300 BlkTalk forum but haven't heard anything yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Here you go. Straight from SAAMI's site.  I just did a quick search.  I've got a new BHW barrel ordered so will be looking at it more in the future just so I can be familiar with it.

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/300%20AAC%20Blackout.pdf

Greg
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Those are case and chamber dimensions. I need gauge dimensions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

From the case dimensions, you should be able to make a set of GO and NOGO gauges.

Here is a comparison of gauges and case  for .308:

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My thoughts exactly.

Greg
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From the case dimensions, you should be able to make a set of GO and NOGO gauges.

http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/493614/20120802/205420.jpg
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/f67stang2/b_194151_zpsee88b8a7.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/493614/20120802/205420.jpg
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/f67stang2/b_194151_zpsee88b8a7.jpg

Thanks for the help. The tolerances are much tighter on the gauge than the chamber and cartridge, which I wasn't expecting. I'm back to purchasing them if I must have them. They should be ground instead of turned for the diameter tolerances of +/- .000I with a taper. If there wasn't a taper I could turn them here at work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Headspace gauges are basically "tool and die" parts with really tight tolerances.  I got my PT&G 300 Blackout gauges from Midway - they have the NO GO gauge in stock, but the GO gauge is backordered...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Even if you had the capability to grind to  a ten thousandths, could you make one for less than $40 - $50?

A fun project but I doubt cost effective.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Even if you had the capability to grind to  a ten thousandths, could you make one for less than $40 - $50?

View Quote

Free unless you count the time involved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're not used to holding 1/10,000 tolerances, you could be talking about a LOT of time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a dimensional inspector at a 30k Sq ft aerospace machine shop. AS9100 and ISO 9001 certified and FFL licensed manufacture. I can measure just about anything with repeatability of .00004 or 40 millionths/1 micron. If we were set up for grinding, which we're not, I would have a friend do the machine work. We trade my reverse engineering for their machining capabilities. I do a little machining but not that tight.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top