Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 10:09:16 PM EDT
I just recently sold my Scar 17S in order to purchase one of the new DPMS G2 Recons after handling one at the NRA show in Tennessee.  The problem is I cannot find one at my local shops or more surprisingly online.  What is up with this? They market the hell out of them and then there isn't one to be had...any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the marketing is working.. people are probably buying the hell out of them.. everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a great gun. I own the hunter model. Cant be beat for the money. Makes me feel dumb sometimes for spending 3-5k on Larue and KAC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have thought about getting a hunter model and just threading the muzzle, but I really dig the stainless barrel on the recon...it's just so calm hard to find one!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]
You got a Cabela's close by? They are still listing them. Call the gun counter and find out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Firearms/Centerfire-Rifles/Semiautomatic-Centerfire-Rifles|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105524280/DPMS174-GII-RECON-Semiautomatic-Tactical-Rifle/1835276.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsemiautomatic-centerfire-rifles%2Fdpms%2F_%2FN-1114861%2B4294749997%2B4294534078%2FNe-4294534078%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105524280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have thought about getting a hunter model and just threading the muzzle, but I really dig the stainless barrel on the recon...it's just so calm hard to find one!
View Quote

I cut mine to 16" and had it threaded. Handles amazingly. Very accurate as well. I only have about 200 rounds through so far but its a 1 MOA capable gun for sure with match loads so far.

I have yet to give it a sweet trigger too. All my guns that give me sub MOA groups all have Giessele Hi speed or AR gold triggers. I will add one soon. Probably another gold. Those things are supremely sweet, and I think it will look bad ass with the carbon fiber HG and stock Im running. Might even have the BCG TiN coated and turn it to a pimp gun...Gold and carbon fiber
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the recons.  If I had to do it again, I would have probably bought a hunter.  cheaper, and more upgrade options available.  The recon uses a different barrel nut than the other models, so there is only 1 option for an aftermarket HGREAT, and the rail that it comes with is way too heavy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I am looking to get one of the G2 Recons, but they appear to be rare as hen's teeth at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Speak of the devil I just got an update from Prepper Gun Shop and they have them for $1450 with an additional $50 mail In Rebate through DPMS.  They have 3 left in stock!!!  I really wanted the recon because of the 416R barrel, mid length gas system, and lighter barrel than Hunter, but I would have settled for the hunter no problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one of the recons.  If I had to do it again, I would have probably bought a hunter.  cheaper, and more upgrade options available.  The recon uses a different barrel nut than the other models, so there is only 1 option for an aftermarket HGREAT, and the rail that it comes with is way too heavy.
View Quote

I wonder why it would use a different size barrel nut??? Aren't the receivers the same size throughout the G2 line or is it just because of the rail?? I was looking into a Midwest rail in the future.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wonder why it would use a different size barrel nut??? Aren't the receivers the same size throughout the G2 line or is it just because of the rail?? I was looking into a Midwest rail in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's because of the way the rail mounts. There are a few nice handguard options but the require the barrel nut that comes on the AP4 dpms. I know have to sit on my thumb until dpms starts sell bbl nuts
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's because of the way the rail mounts. There are a few nice handguard options but the require the barrel nut that comes on the AP4 dpms. I know have to sit on my thumb until dpms starts sell bbl nuts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Midwest industries rails (12, 15) come with the barrel but and wrench and are very lightweight at 9.2 oz for the 12".  I am happy that the rifle at least comes with a free float from the factory even if it is a bulky quad rail, but I'll reserve my judgement until I get it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is mine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#13]

That was a recon?

If so, details on your barrel/nut swap please.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking at anGII MOE as a second rifle. I have a nice AR-15. They look very nice and I like that they are similar in feel (until you pull the trigger right?) and look well made. Any concerns? Good accuracy? Consistent accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Midwest industries rails (12, 15) come with the barrel but and wrench and are very lightweight at 9.2 oz for the 12".  I am happy that the rifle at least comes with a free float from the factory even if it is a bulky quad rail, but I'll reserve my judgement until I get it and shoot it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS has been selling the steel barrel nuts for some time now. I picked up a take-off from the EE.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like the marketing is working.. people are probably buying the hell out of them.. everywhere.
View Quote

Marketing gets the word out but hands-on in the store sells them. My brother works for a large stocking dealer store. They can't sell the Gen1 because when buyers latch onto the Gen2, they won't let go of it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
It started as a Hunter. Kept the upper/lower, bolt and barrel. Everything else was replaced. Cut barrel to 18" and threaded for brake. I'm tickled w/ how well it turned out! The hand guard it one of the Midwest Ind. Super Slim as someone mentioned above.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

DPMS has been selling the steel barrel nuts for some time now. I picked up a take-off from the EE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the "EE"?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Equipment Exchange...the classifieds here. About dead center, top of this window, orange button, white letters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#20]
They may not have the Recon, but Bass Pro has the MOE Warrior for $1249.99 after a $50 rebate, sale paper came out today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just recently sold my Scar 17S in order to purchase one of the new DPMS G2 Recons after handling one at the NRA show in Tennessee.  The problem is I cannot find one at my local shops or more surprisingly online.  What is up with this? They market the hell out of them and then there isn't one to be had...any thoughts on this?
View Quote

The grass is always greener I guess.  I have a G2 and I'm thinking about a SCAR 17.  But I don't intend to get rid of the G2.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top