Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2015 4:21:51 PM EDT
hey guys first post here in the market for a AR really i would like to get a  7.62 for the ammo choices and prices ,currently looking at the windham scr 7.62x39mm anyone have one? and if so how does it run. just wondering because I know ive read problems about the magazines not being that great contacted windham and they responded by telling me that model  has been problem free its between this and a 300 but the 300 ammo is really expensive compared to the 7.62 which can be had from anywhere from 4$ -30$ for 20rds.. any advice would be great thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Punctuation is your friend.....really.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't help on the ar itself but Windham are pretty decent rifles. For the mags I've read asc and c product are the GTG ones. I'm just getting one together myself for the same reason cheap ammo vs 300bo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep my 7.62x39 rifles in the AK platform.  I went with 300BLK in an AR platform, and topped it with a medium power scope (2.5-10x32) and plan to use it more like a bolt gun: target shooting at range, and hunting.  My blasters are 5.56 & 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like their mutant AR / AK thing but won't be buying until it's $750 or so.

Edit - that's a CMMG product.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
hey guys first post here in the market for a AR really would like to get a  7.62 for the ammo choices and prices , looking into the windham scr 7.62x39mm anyone have one and if so I know ive read problems about the magazines not being that great contacted windham and they responded by telling me theres has been problem free its between this and a 300 but the 300 ammo is really expensive compared to the 7.62 which can be had from anywhere from 4$ -30$ for 20rds.. any advice would be great thanks guys.
View Quote

Hi,

Windham subcontracts out their 7.62x39 magazine production to ASC.   ASC sometimes makes good 7.62x39 magazines, and sometimes it doesn't.   Apparently from what you describe some people got bad ones on their Windham 7.62x39 rifles.  PWS recently switched from ASC to CPD Inc. due to intermittent problems with ASC 7.62x39 magazines  in their 7.62x39 rifles.  My 7.62x39 Armalite SPR-01 carbine and 7.62x39 Pistol build have both been reliable since I switched to CPD Inc 7.62x39 magazines, but both had problems with some ASC magazine rounds nose dividing or porpoising causing jams.

I would suggest either a chromed or melonite chamber and bore too if they are available with M-4 ramps.   Steel rounds in a DI carbine have more carbon blow by, and after a 300 round shooting session you are dealing with lots of carbon.  Chrome and Melonited have less friction and generally steel cased rounds ,had better into chambers with these coatings.  I hope the info helps.

Best Wishes:
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
fixed the post. sorry i was really rushing at work i failed to read over it after i posted it. and yes i like the mutant to but its right out of range of my budget . if i do go this route ill most likely be sticking to 10 round mags which i found some made ar -stoner . i just keep reading all the bad reviews on the guns not feeding properly and jam ups.. which is making me delay my final decision now I'm some what considering the 223 any suggestions .?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the YHM. And they have run like tops for me. I would offer r one caution ,  experience  uas taughtme that most of the people who offer stories of difficulties with x 39  AR s have not fired one or even owned one.  They are just echoing something they heard.  That said , as someone who curtly owns 3 7.62 x 39 ARs , I would tell you they are great recreational rifles ,  but I have others I wouled use in a duty tole.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a self-built 7.62x39...Tactical Ambush barrel (16" carbine, melonite), bolt (FailZero NiB), and adjustable gas block...using 20 round ASC mags...the rest is standard AR.

My experience thus far has been very good, no reliability issues as of yet, other that intermittent last-shot hold-open when the mag is empty.

This was solved with an adjustable gas block, and turning the gas WAY down...7.62x39 produces more gas, but at a lower pressure, and barrels often have gas ports too big or too small, so an adjustable gas block is recommended.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top