Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 8:31:30 PM EDT
I've built a couple sbr 5.56 uppers, a couple 300 blk uppers, and now im kicking around the idea of building a beowulf upper. Assuming I can find a barrel (any sources appreciated) the bcg, upper reciever, Delta ring, and handguard are all mil-spec right? The only thing I see myself having trouble finding is the gas bock. In on doing a 10 or 12 in.sbr.

Edit:apparently Ill need a 7.62x39 bolt too, so I would think it would be a good idea to get a full 7.62x39 bcg.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe the upper is mil spec.  I think the ejection port has to opened up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The uper is millspec but the ejection port is been opened up can not run door bolt carryer is mil spec 5.56 the bolt is 7.62. I have seen barels on mid waybe for gas block is hard to come by mil spec hand gards and charging handle  mag is a standard USGI that has been a played with. IMOP buy one  from mid way or go to the source at Alexander Arms and buy it direct. I have the Alexander  Arms AWS bought mine from mid way because the had it in stock no wait A.A. was 8 mouths at the time what ever you do buy a good stock broke two chep ones before I put on a magpul
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The uper is millspec but the ejection port is been opened up can not run door bolt carryer is mil spec 5.56 the bolt is 7.62. I have seen barels on mid waybe for gas block is hard to come by mil spec hand gards and charging handle  mag is a standard USGI that has been a played with. IMOP buy one  from mid way or go to the source at Alexander Arms and buy it direct. I have the Alexander  Arms AWS bought mine from mid way because the had it in stock no wait A.A. was 8 mouths at the time what ever you do buy a good stock broke two chep ones before I put on a magpul
View Quote

Dafuq?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where one could find the upper with the enlarged ejection port? Also is a 5.56 bcg and 7.62 bcg the same besides bolt? I'm running a magpul ubr stock so I think I'll be OK.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
It takes a normal AR-15 carrier with a Grendel bolt or Beo bolt, they're the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone know where one could find the upper with the enlarged ejection port? Also is a 5.56 bcg and 7.62 bcg the same besides bolt? I'm running a magpul ubr stock so I think I'll be OK.
View Quote

KAK Industries has one that is already machined for the large cases.  They enlarge the opening at the bottom and It still retains the port door.  Bolt carrier is the same for 5.56 & 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Aero Precision has an upper with the widend ejection port door marked .458 SOCOM.  I used one for a 458 build and my brother used one for a beuwolf build. It is a quality upper, almost all of my builds start from the Aero website...

.458 upper
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Opening up the ejection port on a standard upper isn't that hard.
The measurements to open up the port are readily available on the net.

Scribe the areas to be opened with a pencil and then tape off around the area to be opened. (Use the tape as your guide)

Place the upper in a padded vice at an angle so the insides of the ejection port are at 90 degrees to the bottom of the vice. (The ejection port angles up 25-30 degrees)

With a Dremmel tool and small hand files, slowly open the port to your taped off dimensions. (Stay parallel, don"t change the angle of the port)

Lightly sand the port smooth to remove any tool marks.

Clean the receiver and paint / coat the exposed metal (or don't)  to your preference.

Done........Takes about 1/2 hour

Assemble as normal with your 50 Beowulf components

Good luck
JW
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds cool, make sure you post pics of it when finished, a SBR Beowulf would make a heck of a hammer.  I have a full size Beowulf and it's more fun than flogging frawgs, it's nice to have the biggest hammer in the tool box
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
What about gas block size? Port size? Normal all quad rails work ok?
Anyone know where I can find a sbr Beowulf barrel?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
AA used to make 12" uppers , don't know if they still offer them.

shooting a 12" wulf is akin to shooting 3" slugs out of a 12" sbs , much fun

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Ive heard Beowulf will feed through standard gi mags with lip mod, but will feed through pmags without, just load and go. Any truth to this? Same questions with lancers.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ive heard Beowulf will feed through standard gi mags with lip mod, but will feed through pmags without, just load and go. Any truth to this? Same questions with lancers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

depends on what bullets your shooting.  the only mags i've modded were pmags , usgi and lancers run good with most loads.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

That is one really sweet set of pictures.  I like my 16" Beowulf as is but that shorty is awesome!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Those pics are awesome.  I need more magazines!

I haven't really played around with any of the really heavy bullets for the Beowulf.  Are they worth it?  I generally load Hornady 300gr FTX and I like them very much.  I have 300 loaded right now, but I am getting more brass and am thinking about loading some really big bullets.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I load the 335 gr (?) Rainier HPs and so far just use a regular, unmodded PMAG.  I do experience a last round feed issue here and there, so I want to get my hands on some of those aluminum followers someone was making on another forum for the BEOs.  I just never get a chance to hunt them down, as I don't exactly remember what forum they were on, and usually don't think about it until I'm going to shoot the BEO.

ETA:  I may have had to cut a little tip off the of the inside top of the mags since I am using the HPs...I just dont really recall if I did or not, have to check the mags some time to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#17]
If you don't me asking, whats your ppr when reloading for the Beowulf, if you're going for as cheap as you can find?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't remember how much all the different components cost...brass was the most expensive, but is obviously reusable, and the straight walled cartridge should net you more use before they wear out.  I'd say I was somewhere near 50cpr for component costs, estimating using the brass 10 times (which is probably a conservative guess on the life of straight walled brass).

Quick estimates, if any of these look really off someone let me know, but I think they're appropriate (and also rounded off the dollar amounts a little to account for tax or shipping, etc...):

BRASS: $70/100 @ 10 uses...............$0.07
PRIMERS: $30/1000...........................$0.03
BULLETS: $90/500.............................$0.18
POWDER: $30/lb @ ~175 rounds/lb...$0.17

TOTAL CPR: $0.45 +/-  

Adjust for how hot you load and whether you can find components at these prices near you currently or not.  I know primers were getting expensive, and powder scarce a while ago.  This also doesn't account for the cost of dies and other equipment obviously either.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Trying to imagine what that thing would do to a hog.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't remember how much all the different components cost...brass was the most expensive, but is obviously reusable, and the straight walled cartridge should net you more use before they wear out.  I'd say I was somewhere near 50cpr for component costs, estimating using the brass 10 times (which is probably a conservative guess on the life of straight walled brass).

Quick estimates, if any of these look really off someone let me know, but I think they're appropriate (and also rounded off the dollar amounts a little to account for tax or shipping, etc...):

BRASS: $70/100 @ 10 uses...............$0.07
PRIMERS: $30/1000...........................$0.03
BULLETS: $90/500.............................$0.18
POWDER: $30/lb @ ~175 rounds/lb...$0.17

TOTAL CPR: $0.45 +/-  

Adjust for how hot you load and whether you can find components at these prices near you currently or not.  I know primers were getting expensive, and powder scarce a while ago.  This also doesn't account for the cost of dies and other equipment obviously either.

View Quote

What kind of bullets are you using for that price of $90 per 500? Any links to a good source online?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought 1000 Rainier 335 gr HPs a few years ago around that price I think.  I dont recall where I bought them from though.

Not sure what the difference is with Rainiers "lead safe" bullets, but Midway has them for $87/500, but on backorder.

ETA:  They're in stock today.  I was trying to read up on the differences between the "leadsafe" series of bullets and noticed this on Midway's page.  Maybe the bullets I have are the same as these...my boxes don't say anything about "leadsafe" on them however, so I'm not sure.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top