Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2014 5:28:36 PM EDT
Buyer beware notice, fired my new Rock River 458 SOCOM and after 4 rounds the bolt and barrel had sheared off lugs and was FUBAR!  The ammo was not over pressured, yet RR didn't honor their supposed lifetime warranty ($575 to fix).  The same ammo (sold on Gun Broker and not Corbon) was used in other 458s without any hiccups.   This was my first RR and will surely be my last, not because of a failure but because they didn't stand behind the crap they made.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics of ammo?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Need moar pics mow!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, need specs on mid-gas or carbine-gas?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
tag for pics and discussion....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
its going to take a pretty heavy load to shear lugs . please post the ammo used .
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You seem to be deliberately omitting 50% of the story.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]
What ammo did you buy?  No-name reloads?  If so I'm not surprised they won't honor the warranty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buyer beware notice, fired my new Rock River 458 SOCOM and after 4 rounds the bolt and barrel had sheared off lugs and was FUBAR!  The ammo was not over pressured, yet RR didn't honor their supposed lifetime warranty ($575 to fix).  The same ammo (sold on Gun Broker and not Corbon) was used in other 458s without any hiccups.   This was my first RR and will surely be my last, not because of a failure but because they didn't stand behind the crap they made.

View Quote

Somebody blew up his rifle with crapola reloads and tried to con RRA into fixing the rifle he killed!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Whoa, ost
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody blew up his rifle with crapola reloads and tried to con RRA into fixing the rifle he killed!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

without pics and more info I'd have to agree

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are two sides to every story... Where are the pics. How are you so sure the ammo wasn't overpressured?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of ammo out there was/is way hot.  Even if someone else shot some of the same brand yours might be out of spec. RRA absorbed some of the Corbon problems so I don't really blame them being a bit cautious.  I have a RRA carbine length upper.  Zero probelms with my handloads, SBR and Wilson ammo.  Shearing bolt lugs in only 4 rounds sounds very suspect to me.  Pics of cases and remainder of ammo with a couple of them autopsied would be a great plus.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Would bet rounds were way over pressure.  When I first started reloading and working up loads for the .458 7 or 8 years ago had several loads the completely flattened the primers and messed up the brass with severe swipes. Pressure had to be above 44k.   My RRA took them all  without any problems.  Still using the original bolt with in excess of 1500 rounds.  The RRA I have has been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#14]
OP needs to learn difference between a RR (Registered Receiver AKA a MG) and a RRA (Rock River Arms AKA a mid price, semi auto AR ).
The title had me feeling really bad for someone who just lost a irreplaceable MG receiver, when it's only a RRA AR that died. Still not good but $1500 (max) vs $20000ish (min)
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  OP needs to learn difference between a RR (Registered Receiver AKA a MG) and a RRA (Rock River Arms AKA a mid price, semi auto AR ).
The title had me feeling really bad for someone who just lost a irreplaceable MG receiver, when it's only a RRA AR that died. Still not good but $1500 (max) vs $20000ish (min)
View Quote

How many folks do you know that run .458" on a machinegun?

Dollar to a doughnut we see the same report on other forums, with no pics of the ammo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait, where did the OP go?  Just realized he only had 2 posts as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The same ammo sold on Gun Broker
View Quote

Didn't we just do a Gunbroker no-name ammo 'splodey thread?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dollar to a doughnut we see the same report on other forums, with no pics of the ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OP needs to learn difference between a RR (Registered Receiver AKA a MG) and a RRA (Rock River Arms AKA a mid price, semi auto AR ).

There's idiots with lots of money every frigging where in south Texas, wouldn't surprise me if at least some of them are running 458 on a RR.
You would be amazed at the silenced, night sighted ARs and MGs floating around some of the fields around here shooting hogs at night.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There's idiots with lots of money every frigging where in south Texas, wouldn't surprise me if at least some of them are running 458 on a RR.
You would be amazed at the silenced, night sighted ARs and MGs floating around some of the fields around here shooting hogs at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swear everyone is rich here but me. It's like everyone has a bottomless bank account to buy MGs, suppressors, NV, and thermal gear. That's what I get for leaving the oil field.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I swear everyone is rich here but me. It's like everyone has a bottomless bank account to buy MGs, suppressors, NV, and thermal gear. That's what I get for leaving the oil field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the AR ,NVG, and silencer but my only MG is a MAC10. (it's been around here since they were about the same price as the tax.)
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:32:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag for no-show OP

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My upper has been on a couple of FA lowers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to lie, I would.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
New member posts and runs.  Rags on an established (and in my book reliable and dependable) manufacturer "not honoring their warranty" but doesn't provide much in the way of details either of the event or the interaction with Rock River.  This does not smell kosher to me...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#26]
He will deliver... Op?

Hello?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
New member posts and runs.  Rags on an established (and in my book reliable and dependable) manufacturer "not honoring their warranty" but doesn't provide much in the way of details either of the event or the interaction with Rock River.  This does not smell kosher to me...
View Quote

Internet flaming and tantrum throwing has become the preferred method of obtaining satisfaction.

Not saying that is positively the case here, but I will say the ban hammer should be deployed when it is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I have done a lot of big bore AR testing since 1998 and have never seen BOTH the barrel extension and bolt lugs simultaneously shear off BOTH parts.  I'm not sure that's even possible.

Tony

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Just a drive by shit by the OP. Nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Internet flaming and tantrum throwing has become the preferred method of obtaining satisfaction.

Not saying that is positively the case here, but I will say the ban hammer should be deployed when it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't see how venting is satisfying when the guy apparently has a blown up upper.  Venting makes you feel less stressed...for a bit...but it doesn't get a real problem addressed and fixed.  But that's just me.  I also don't ask my boss to "talk to" someone who bugs me - I take it to them politely and get things straight right away.  I guess that means I'm not into drama.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread does not deliver.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Not much credibility so far...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#34]
"And dat‘s the name of dat tune."
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Without getting into specifics, the OP's rifle did suffer a significant failure, and it was ammo related.  
Our warranty covers the failure of factory parts and labor, not damage caused by factors outside of our control, such as ammunition issues.  We made efforts to work with the OP and the ammo maker,, but those efforts were, in the long run, non-productive and the OP paid for his repairs.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Without getting into specifics, the OP's rifle did suffer a significant failure, and it was ammo related.  
Our warranty covers the failure of factory parts and labor, not damage caused by factors outside of our control, such as ammunition issues.  We made efforts to work with the OP and the ammo maker,, but those efforts were, in the long run, non-productive and the OP paid for his repairs.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

Mystery gunbroker reloads strike again!

If one were an anti-gun liberal loon, one might consider shill accounts on sites like Gunbroker selling spiked ammo.  Worked for our government...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steve/RRA

Good.

+100 internetz

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm totally new, but is there a reason that some of the "specifics" can't be discussed here?...not about the OP or the interaction with him but about the mechanical failure details related to the ammo?  Being new, I'd like to know the details to avoid similar pitfalls myself.  I have two new AR-10's in .243 and .308.  I reload for both of those calibers in bolt rifles and fully intend to reload for the AR's.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm totally new, but is there a reason that some of the "specifics" can't be discussed here?...not about the OP or the interaction with him but about the mechanical failure details related to the ammo?  Being new, I'd like to know the details to avoid similar pitfalls myself.  I have two new AR-10's in .243 and .308.  I reload for both of those calibers in bolt rifles and fully intend to reload for the AR's.
View Quote

I think buying reloads from someone you don't know is a recipe for trouble.  

If I were to buy reloads, it would just be to get the components.  
I would probably disassemble, pour out the powders, and reload the brass and projectiles with my own measured loads.

And for your .243 and .308 rifles, I would make sure you go to small-base dies when loading for semi-autos.

Best,
JBR

ETA:  Welcome to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#41]
A
Quoted:

I didn't use the OP's name, the ammo loader's name or provide information on the issue other than to answer the OP's original post and certain inaccuracies in it..  
We respect the privacy  of both the OP and ammo maker and are not in any way trying to disparage either.  We've seen bad loads from across the gamut of ammo makers and manufacturers. Over charged, under charged, deformed cases, bullets in upside down, primers in the pocket upside down, crushed, or dangerously high, and on and on.  These are things that happen.  Most are caught before they can cause damage and/or injury.  Some occasionally do.  Even one bad load amongst thousands unfortunately, casts doubt on all of those other rounds. I'm not going to paint it with a broad brush and say that all of this maker's ammo is bad, or that the OP did anything wrong.
All we can do is pick up the pieces (literally) , determine the nature of the failure, identify one or more possible remedies,  and move forward.
Thanks.
Steve/RRA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't use the OP's name, the ammo loader's name or provide information on the issue other than to answer the OP's original post and certain inaccuracies in it..  
We respect the privacy  of both the OP and ammo maker and are not in any way trying to disparage either.  We've seen bad loads from across the gamut of ammo makers and manufacturers. Over charged, under charged, deformed cases, bullets in upside down, primers in the pocket upside down, crushed, or dangerously high, and on and on.  These are things that happen.  Most are caught before they can cause damage and/or injury.  Some occasionally do.  Even one bad load amongst thousands unfortunately, casts doubt on all of those other rounds. I'm not going to paint it with a broad brush and say that all of this maker's ammo is bad, or that the OP did anything wrong.
All we can do is pick up the pieces (literally) , determine the nature of the failure, identify one or more possible remedies,  and move forward.
Thanks.
Steve/RRA

And since he probably can't say it, it avoids the whole sued for liable and slander lawsuit issue. True or not, you'll get sued if they think they can get in your pocket.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  I didn't use the OP's name, the ammo loader's name or provide information on the issue other than to answer the OP's original post and certain inaccuracies in it..  
Thanks.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

Eagerly awaiting my brother digging his lower out of his gunsafe & finally shooting his upper I ordered for his birthday in 2013, which due to the availability of bolts, he received this summer.  Thanks to you, I am now a member of a trust, and he has a .458" titanium suppressor on order.    If it breaks, it's b/c he figgured out how to throw 700 grn boolits outta it.  Don't warranty it.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are two sides to every story... Where are the pics. How are you so sure the ammo wasn't overpressured?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to correct you but three sides to a story his, hers , and the truth
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top