Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2014 10:13:22 AM EDT
I picked up a LMT MWS308 a few months back.   I just got an optic for it so I shot it for the first time today.   It failed to feed every round.   I only shot 40 rounds.  It seems like it was just a little tight.   By the end it seemed to be loosening up a little. Is this normal?   I had a used before with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of mags and ammo where you using? This isn't something that I would call normal or typical of the platform.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ammo = ?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I was using Winchester 7.62 and ZQ1.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Mags? How full did you load them? Did you insert the mags while the bolt was forward or locked back?

My first guess is that the mags were not locked into the gun, which would cause it to FTF every time.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mags? How full did you load them? Did you insert the mags while the bolt was forward or locked back?

My first guess is that the mags were not locked into the gun, which would cause it to FTF every time.
View Quote

Mags were the factory mag and a magpul mag.  5 rounds at a time as I was sighting in the scope.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
ok, describe the FTF, what was happening?

And your sure you had the mags locked in all the way? I know my mag well is tight and I have to firmly seat a mag or it want feed at all.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ok, describe the FTF, what was happening?

And your sure you had the mags locked in all the way? I know my mag well is tight and I have to firmly seat a mag or it want feed at all.
View Quote

Mags are fully seated, that was my thought at the time so it was triple checked.   The fired case was fully ejected but the bolt carrier got stuck before picking up the next round, appears to be a short stroke.  A couple of times it would start to push the next round out of the mag and get stuck.

It was lightly oiled but not wet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Check to make sure the gas rings on the bolt aren't lined up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure on every .308/7.62 AR, but my MWS bolt is single gas ring.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Lube?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to go look, mine has only 1 ring as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lube?
View Quote

Maybe.   It was lubed but not wet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
They need to be run wet when new.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am hoping that's it. I will lather it up before I go back out this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

plus 1. While every round seems excessive.  Mine had some issues for the first couple hundred rounds. Now its 100 percent reliable.  In the mean time,  maybe cycle the action to help wear things in.

if you do the above and dont see a noticeable improvement,  give Gean a call. He will take  care of you
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Also clean the backhand inside the upper good. Ive never had an issue w mine but ive only shot m118 through it
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I picked up a LMT MWS308 a few months back.   I just got an optic for it so I shot it for the first time today.   It failed to feed every round.   I only shot 40 rounds.  It seems like it was just a little tight.   By the end it seemed to be loosening up a little. Is this normal?   I had a used before with no issues.
View Quote

Did you break it down and clean/lube it before you shot it the first time. With the exception of some plastic handguns, especially glocks, you should always clean and lube a firearm before you shoot it. Les Baer might disagree but WTF.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did you break it down and clean/lube it before you shot it the first time. With the exception of some plastic handguns, especially glocks, you should always clean and lube a firearm before you shoot it. Les Baer might disagree but WTF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  It was bone dry when I took it out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...I have been shooting for 40+ years and every new firearm gets lubed very well for the first 50 or so rounds down the pipe including my Glocks.  I have yet to have a FTF, FTE malfunction on my LMT MWS or my MRPs.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

plus 1. While every round seems excessive.  Mine had some issues for the first couple hundred rounds. Now its 100 percent reliable.  In the mean time,  maybe cycle the action to help wear things in.

if you do the above and dont see a noticeable improvement,  give Gean a call. He will take  care of you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I oiled it up tonight with plans to take it out tomorrow.   The bolt is getting stuck rearward even with no mag in it.  Is that similar to the issues that you were having?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#21]
No but. Mine was more of a double feed ever couple dozen rounds. But see what happens. Hopefully it goes better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I got to the range today and got another 40 rounds through it.  Only ttwo malfunctions.  

I think it's going to be OK.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I had it zeroed at 50 feet (indoor range) and took it out today and couldn't get it on paper at 200 yards.  It was frustrating.   I will take it out again this week at start at 50 and work it up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:13:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Surprised this hasn't been asked yet, but where are the pics?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#25]
how did it run?  did you bore sight it, should be able to get on paper just looking down the barrel and matching up the uptic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:37:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had it zeroed at 50 feet (indoor range) and took it out today and couldn't get it on paper at 200 yards.  It was frustrating.   I will take it out again this week at start at 50 and work it up.
View Quote

There is a slightly steeper learning curve with these rifles than with a typical AR, its not going to happen just right every time. What kind of sighting system are you using? 50 feet is pretty short to be developing a 200y zero with, I'm sure it can be done but I lack the math to help you here. If you can zero at 25y you should have better luck. Although a 100y zero is even better in my opinion, the 308 is pretty well documented and comes ups are pretty widely available.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top