Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 2:11:09 PM EDT
looking to keeping only one of my 308's.....an FN SPR A1 or the bushy AR10.

both are scoped. the FN is sub-MOA, the AR10 is about 1.5 MOA. i am really not a good enough shooter to utilize the sub-MOA of the FN riflle. my comfort range for distance is under 500 yards right now and i'm not sure i want to spend the time and effort to extend that.

this platform is mostly a max mad scenario, WROL kinda thing.  

what would you keep?  i assume there will be bias since this is in the AR10 section....

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd keep the one that I liked the best. Nobody knows that answer but you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
looking to keeping only one of my 308's.....an FN SPR A1 or the bushy AR10.

both are scoped. the FN is sub-MOA, the AR10 is about 1.5 MOA. i am really not a good enough shooter to utilize the sub-MOA of the FN riflle. my comfort range for distance is under 500 yards right now and i'm not sure i want to spend the time and effort to extend that.

this platform is mostly a max mad scenario, WROL kinda thing.  

what would you keep?  i assume there will be bias since this is in the AR10 section....

View Quote

Sounds like your making an excuse to get rid of the FN
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
308 isn't a great long range cartrige anyway.  Fucking rainbows man.  Sure, it has good barrel life and the design of the cartridge lends itslef to accuracy etc, but lots of trajectory and time for the wind to get at it.  Someday, get a bolt gun in 243, 270, 7mm mag, etc if you develop the skillset for it.

Only the best of the best SOCOM types can get 1rst round hits  at >500 yards most of the time, w/ 308 anyway.  I am talking about the best of the best of the best who happen to have mad talent at dealing w/ wind and have been able to develop it. Usually, a body has to shoot, observe impact and then make adjustment, artillery style.  Helluv a lot easer and faster to do this w/ a semi auto.  The guy who wins is the guy who gets rounds on target fastest.  

If you want a rifle to make hits at ranges >500, get an a r15.  Less recoil, lets you observe impact and adjust more quickly, the gun will be of managable weight w/ a scope etc.  After you walk rounds into the guy's COM at 500 yds, even if it takes him  a little longer to die, he is not going to get to you.  Yes 308 bucks the iwnd better, but w/ 556, once you miss ans see where your POI is relative to the POA, just adjust and make a connection.  This process is faster w/ a 5.56 than a 308, especially a 308 bolt gun.

308 is great for CQB, particualry where you are defending from a more or less fixed fortified position and you don't need to be light and have lots of ammo for suppressive fire so that you can manuever in assault or retreat.  The 308 is great b/c w/ certain bullets, it really drops a motherfucker DRT, which is more important the closer he is to you.

Run a scoped AR15 for longer ranges and for assault and for dismounted ops, run the 308 w/ a T1 optic for CQB when you are either defending, ambushing, or attacking w/ surprise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, all those answers make sense. The ar10 is what I enjoy shooting and walking rounds into target is much faster with semi's and 223's.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
You can always replace the bolt gun down the road and you can always work on the 308 to make it a sub-moa gun....so keep the AR.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a number of AR10"s and an AIAW 308 folder. If I could only keep one it would be my AIAW.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like i'll be selling the FN. its a great rifle but that bulls-eye hit with a single cold bore shot is tough to achieve without lots of dedication and patience. ranging, bullet drop, wind.....not for me i think. i wish but not reality.

these are my tools......

and this will be my long range plinker.....i do love this rifle and its 1 MOA with good 75 and  77 gr ammo. it makes hits on man size targets at 400 yards with boring precision once you are dialed up.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Man that bottom one is SWEET !

How do you like the Troy rail ? Reason I ask is I'll be looking to put a rail of some sort on a DPMS in the future ...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man that bottom one is SWEET !

How do you like the Troy rail ? Reason I ask is I'll be looking to put a rail of some sort on a DPMS in the future ...
View Quote

hummmm....the bottom rifle is a LWRC upper with their rail, not Troy. the top pic of the 308 is a troy rail though. its ok but it was the only thing i could get for it. not a big fan of the bolt on rails though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
How much did your FN run you? Thinking about getting one for my bolt actions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much did your FN run you? Thinking about getting one for my bolt actions.
View Quote

i got it through an FFL buddy for about $1500 i think and am selling it now on the EE for $1200

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top