Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2014 2:35:59 PM EDT
I am looking at purchasing a REPR 7.62/308. Can I get some first hand feedback? What else would you be looking at in this caliber? How would you set it up? I am building all my weapons  around SHTF scenario. With that in mind I'm leaning towards a semi-auto instead of a bolt action. I'm not closing the door on the bolt action but my mindset is what if I have to give my QCB AR to my wife or kids God forbid. Who believes in scoping out based on the guns specs? My thought is how often will I shoot over a 1000 meters? What if your long gun has become your QCB because the threat is no longer at the perimeter? I have a set up in mind but want to hear from the experts.

Thanks,
Tarperian
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a DPMS .308 with 16inch barrel and Burris XTR 1.5-6 with 7.62 reticle.
I hit 600 yard steel with enough regularity t make it almost boring.
I recently purchased the GII and expect it to be just as accurate.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A 1-6x scope will be useful for the long range but still good for close in.

A 556 gun is still capable of both long range and taking game too. It shouldn't be ruled out
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
This exactly what I'm thinking. The 20" REPR with the Elcan 1.5-6x  My AR has the 1-4X Elcan. But is this the optimal optic for this rifle?

Thanks,
Tarpeian
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with the 16inch because it is also handy in close.
I lose some velocity but 30 cal still hits hard at range.
As far as the .223/5.56, it really loses steam much past 350 yards. You can easily hit what you
are aiming at though the damage will most likely be minimal.
1-4x is plenty of magnification, 1-6x just gives more flexability.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with the 16inch because it is also handy in close.
I lose some velocity but 30 cal still hits hard at range.
As far as the .223/5.56, it really loses steam much past 350 yards. You can easily hit what you
are aiming at though the damage will most likely be minimal.
1-4x is plenty of magnification, 1-6x just gives more flexability.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What 1-6x optic did you go with? Is the REPR capable out past 1000 meters?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
REPR is probably the best gun LWRC produces. And they are accurate for a piston gun, def capable to over 1000 yards with high quality match ammo.

That being said, they are a pig, they weight something like 12 pounds slick, that was the most noticeable thing for when when shooting my buddies REPR. To pull double duty as a close in gun/long range gun I think there are better options. 3500$ is a lot to spend on a gun that you are trying to be a jack of all trades gun so choose wisely.

The SR-25 EC/ECC/EMC is probably the most accurate with the ability to run fast in a close in situation, they are not mass produced so finding one May prove difficult. I own an older EMC and I absolutely love it, I can run it faster than a lot of people can run  a 5.56 gun if I have a comp/brake on it. They are extremely expensive.
The SCAR-17 is the most affordable and really lightweight but uses proprietary mags and components, still an awesome gun. If weight is a concern this is your best bet if walking through rough terrain may be a possibility.
The LMT MWS is an option and affordable, though pretty heavy. Capable of hitting a man sized target with M80 ball ammo at 800 yards everyday and twice on a Sunday, or so says the British Ministry of Defense. Called the L129A1 by our colonial cousins.
The LaRue PredatAR is very lightweight and well made, it can be tough tracking one down as the demand for them is high. The OBR is a great precision rifle but it's heavy and the 10 MOA riser on top May give you bore offset issues up close in a CQB situation.
There are some nice later gen AR-10 guns as well that are affordable and certainly capable of 1000 yard shots if you do your part.
POF makes a decent 308
CMMG from what I hear read and see makes a surprisingly good 308 for the money, they are certainly not in the same realm as the above guns but if money is an issue which it probably isn't if you are thinking of a REPR they can be had.
There are others but it would take to long to write about them.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What 1-6x optic did you go with? Is the REPR capable out past 1000 meters?
View Quote

I have the  Burris XTR 1.5-6x with the 7.62 reticle. It also has an illuminated donut for low light CQB. The holdovers are pretty close considering the velocity loss.
.308 is good out past 1000 meters but IMO is ideal to 800-1000. It is all a matter of practice.
Good luck and have fun with your project.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am looking at purchasing a REPR 7.62/308. Can I get some first hand feedback? What else would you be looking at in this caliber? How would you set it up? I am building all my weapons  around SHTF scenario. With that in mind I'm leaning towards a semi-auto instead of a bolt action. I'm not closing the door on the bolt action but my mindset is what if I have to give my QCB AR to my wife or kids God forbid. Who believes in scoping out based on the guns specs? My thought is how often will I shoot over a 1000 meters? What if your long gun has become your QCB because the threat is no longer at the perimeter? I have a set up in mind but want to hear from the experts.

Thanks,
Tarperian
View Quote

Too much money for what they are! Knight, Larue or LMT would be better options.
The SCAR would be a much better option and a lot less money.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep them coming I have plenty of time to do my due diligence. I would like to hear from people who actually have X and have shot X. Some of these guns I can't get my hands on at my LGS. We have a gun show this weekend 5 minutes from my house so maybe some of the ones mentioned so far will be there.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I went with a 14.5" fluted LWRC Repr to try to keep the weight down as low as possible, also keeping in mind that I desire a 0-600 yards 7.62 caliber rifle... no need to shoot any farther, though I'm sure it would do just fine.

Even with the shortest barrel possible it still tips the scales at 12.5 lbs with a loaded 20rd mag, little on the heavy side I think.

Would I go a different route if I could do it all over?  Hell no!

This gun is damn near perfect for what I want and other than going with a lighter stock, you wont be getting much lighter for a 7.62 battle rifle. It's been flawless so far, about 400 rds down the pipe and under moa with decent ammo.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
REPR is probably the best gun LWRC produces. And they are accurate for a piston gun, def capable to over 1000 yards with high quality match ammo.

That being said, they are a pig, they weight something like 12 pounds slick, that was the most noticeable thing for when when shooting my buddies REPR. To pull double duty as a close in gun/long range gun I think there are better options. 3500$ is a lot to spend on a gun that you are trying to be a jack of all trades gun so choose wisely.

View Quote

While the REPR is indeed a pig, I find the quoted weight of 12lbs to be surprising.  I have a 12" REPR and it comes in at 12lbs with an 762SDN6, Mark6 1-6 scope, on a Larue mount, Surefire X300, AFG2, VTAC sling and extra batteries.  When I get the chance, I'm going to weigh it again to be sure of my numbers plus I'll weigh my 18" REPR too.

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing and somewhat off topic ), I've begrudgingly come to the conclusion my REPR is just too heavy(and loud). I so wanted it to work but alas I'm now considering 300 BLK for the intended role of my 12" REPR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I just want you you to know it took me over a 100 hours looking for the picture of this gun!!!!!!!!!! I had come across it about 2 weeks ago and my wife closed out the window and erased the history!!!!!! I asked on this forum and the LWRC forum who the owner was and gave a detailed description. For days no response and I was staying up to 3 and 4 in the morning well I finally found the damn thing:))) But here you are posting it, where were you when I wanted this pic??? LOL

Am I going a different route?:) Hell Know:) I have 3 sons so I need 3 guns. Oh and a wife so she will operate the HK:) Technically thats four. I already have my mind made up on the Mossberg 590A1. But I do not want to get the 7.62/308 wrong not with this kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ I'm already in the dog house. I also have a Explosive/Protection Dutch Shepherd in the arsenal and to be honest that is my best weapon. I train K9's as a hobby.

The reason I was so interested is I have the EXACT same build!!!:) It was hopefully cerakoted today with a special brown to compliment the FDE Elcan. I was the one wanting to know what you did to the side rails. I finally figured it out when I looked at the products page on LWRC. I assumed you cut them to fit then added the black LaRue index clips. After some thought I'm going to leave the rail factory and use gloves if necessary.

I'm hoping it will be here maybe next week or the week after. Anyway the whole setup looks like this:

LWRC M6 IC Enhance 14.7" fluted barrel  SSA-E Trigger
Cerakote/Laser Etch "Elcan" brown to compliment optic
Cerakote& Texture Bottom Rail Black
Black Ultra Compact Stock
Black Magpul Grip
AAC Brakeout 51T
Engraved/Lasered Magwell
FDE Elcan 1-4x
SureFire M300 Mini Scout with Pressure Switch
SF Pic Rail Mount
Thorntail Mount
Black Quad X Cobra Savvy Sniper 2-1 point sling all metal hardware
Black Pelican 1720 Custom cut for Gun, Optic, Torch, Sling, Six Pmags, HK .45 USP Fullsize and 2 clips

Sweet gun bro!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just want you you to know it took me over a 100 hours looking for the picture of this gun!!!!!!!!!! I had come across it about 2 weeks ago and my wife closed out the window and erased the history!!!!!! I asked on this forum and the LWRC forum who the owner was and gave a detailed description. For days no response and I was staying up to 3 and 4 in the morning well I finally found the damn thing:))) But here you are posting it, where were you when I wanted this pic??? LOL

Am I going a different route?:) Hell Know:) I have 3 sons so I need 3 guns. Oh and a wife so she will operate the HK:) Technically thats four. I already have my mind made up on the Mossberg 590A1. But I do not want to get the 7.62/308 wrong not with this kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ I'm already in the dog house. I also have a Explosive/Protection Dutch Shepherd in the arsenal and to be honest that is my best weapon. I train K9's as a hobby.

The reason I was so interested is I have the EXACT same build!!!:) It was hopefully cerakoted today with a special brown to compliment the FDE Elcan. I was the one wanting to know what you did to the side rails. I finally figured it out when I looked at the products page on LWRC. I assumed you cut them to fit then added the black LaRue index clips. After some thought I'm going to leave the rail factory and use gloves if necessary.

I'm hoping it will be here maybe next week or the week after. Anyway the whole setup looks like this:

Black Magpul Grip
AAC Brakeout 51T
Engraved/Lasered Magwell
FDE Elcan 1-4x
SF Pic Rail Mount
Thorntail Mount
Black Pelican 1720 Custom cut for Gun, Optic, Torch, Sling, Six Pmags, HK .45 USP Fullsize and 2 clips

Sweet gun bro!
View Quote

Want to know something funny.

I have a M6 IC in pretty much the same config as you describe. When I get home from work I'll snap a few pics and post them up.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a M6 IC in pretty much the same config as you describe. When I get home from work I'll snap a few pics and post them up.

Great just rub it in while I'm waiting!!!! LOL
I can't wait to see it, be great if you can send some pics via email to.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black Magpul Grip
AAC Brakeout 51T
Engraved/Lasered Magwell
FDE Elcan 1-4x
SF Pic Rail Mount
Thorntail Mount

Sweet gun bro!

Great just rub it in while I'm waiting!!!! LOL
I can't wait to see it, be great if you can send some pics via email to.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy Crap!!! Is that shadow bronze?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

It's a M6 IC A5 Fenrir edition from Modern Outfitters. I had them do it over in Shadow Bronze with a textured lower handguard.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#19]
How do you like the the IC? How do you like the Elcan? That thing looks great!! How well can you co-witness with the Elcan?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]
The pics dont do it justice.

When I get my first day off during daylight hours, I'll bring her outside and take some real pictures with the camera along side my burnt bronze REPR for comparison.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea Ben is the man from what I hear and see!! He is doing mine hopefully it was done today. The Elcan was 3 different shades of brown and he wanted to try something different. I said go for it man that looks good bro!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#22]
A REPR? Good grief!!! I told Jon he could do the REPR as soon as the M6 got here:) I am almost 100% I will go that route. These guys have listed some great guns but I can't wait a year on a Larue or Noveske. Not with this guy in the White House!!! What optic do you have on the REPR? I was thinking the 1.5-6X Elcan? I still want some real world feedback. Would you have done anything different on the 5?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I went with a 14.5" fluted LWRC Repr to try to keep the weight down as low as possible, also keeping in mind that I desire a 0-600 yards 7.62 caliber rifle... no need to shoot any farther, though I'm sure it would do just fine.

Even with the shortest barrel possible it still tips the scales at 12.5 lbs with a loaded 20rd mag, little on the heavy side I think.

Would I go a different route if I could do it all over?  Hell no!

This gun is damn near perfect for what I want and other than going with a lighter stock, you wont be getting much lighter for a 7.62 battle rifle. It's been flawless so far, about 400 rds down the pipe and under moa with decent ammo.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc226/LR308_GNR/20121202_123319_zps824801c9.jpg
View Quote

This is probably the sexiest AR I have ever seen...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A REPR? Good grief!!! I told Jon he could do the REPR as soon as the M6 got here:) I am almost 100% I will go that route. These guys have listed some great guns but I can't wait a year on a Larue or Noveske. Not with this guy in the White House!!! What optic do you have on the REPR? I was thinking the 1.5-6X Elcan? I still want some real world feedback. Would you have done anything different on the 5?
View Quote

I use the Elcan 1.5-6x on my 16" REPR and think it's perfect for a GP battle rifle.  It's an excellent scope that transitions quickly from close-in to way-out.  

Doesn't make the rifle any lighter, though.

Having a 7.62 semi auto as your go-to rifle is a big change from a 5.56.  Everything is heavier, weapon and ammo, and requires more conditioning to use.

That said, I've watched 4'10" Salvadorans hump G3 rifles and 6 magazines up the sides of volcanoes for weeks on end...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Some don't think its the best choice for the REPR? What are your thoughts? I know some think the Arms mount sucks but that was dealt with a long time ago. I guess it's a Black Legend now.
How did you decide on the REPR? What about the barrel length? Wold you do anything different?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a REPR DMR 18" Geissele trigger with a Leupold Mark 4 1.5x5. Absolute tack driver. Yeah, it is heavy but I will deal with it. Thinking about installing a Mark 6 1x6 or the new VCOG soon. Just have to find the funds. Mine is an older model I purchased in Nov 2011.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was looking for a 7.62 rifle a friend let me use his REPR for a few weeks and the rifle handled real well. Did not fell as heavy as I thought it would.  I ran some pain ammo through it and the accuracy was nothing to write home about.  But this was my first experience with larger caliber semi auto.  

Owning many LMTs at the time I decided to stick with the LMT brand and went with the MWS, a very wise choice in my opinion.  The MWS is heavier, feels more bulky, but as a accurate tactical rifle, the MWS fits the needs.

My MWS is a real "pig" as some labeled the rifle, with my USOptics scope and other appendages hanging off of it, the rifle is pretty heavy but it works for me.

It loves 7.62 x 51 FGMM 175 SMK rounds, but I am trying some Winchester 7.62,x 51 147 grain in about 8 hours to see how it shoots.

For the money, the LMT is a steal, KACs are almost 2x as much and the REPR IS about $1000 more than I paid for the MWS.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#28]
What is a MWS? Or did you mean PWS? I'm looking at the Elcan 1.5-6- the Trijicon VCOG 1-6X48- and the ACOG 6x48. I can test all three of these optics and decide which one work best for me.  I want the best optic I can get without having to turn turrets, or eyepiece's magnification rings but still want that big sight picture at 800-1000 meters. Does this optic exist? Will any of the three listed come close? Which one will be the best bang for my buck?

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is a MWS? Or did you mean PWS?
View Quote

LMT MWS, Modular Weapon System, their 7.62 rifle...damn good rifle for the money.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok I thought you were separating LMT and MWS. The LMT modular weapon system. I will give them a closer look.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:16:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I have decided on the 16" REPR, Geissele trigger SSA-2, Elcan1.5-6X, full size Fortis grip for more control and faster follow up shots, and Atlas bipod. I'm setting this up for defense/hunting rifle. If I become proficient with the REPR, and find I can and want to shoot 1-2" groups on paper I will look at the 6mm BR and more magnification in an optic. I appreciate everyones input. I can still change the optic but I'm really 99% sold on this optic. Not only will I be training on this weapon but so will my wife and sons. I have an LWRC M6 IC-E with the 1-4x Elcan. In a stressed induced environment, I want everything streamlined and employ the KISS method.  If anyone thinks I'm way off the mark then fire away. Please keep in mind the scenario I have described. Am I missing anything? I see no need for a torch on this weapon but please feel free to correct me. I am a novice and looking for knowledge and real world experience when I can find it.

Thanks in advance,
Tarpeian
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I am leaning towards a Leupold Mk 6 1x6 to put on my 16" REPR.  The Elcan is worthy as well.  i want to keep it as light as possible and the Mk 6 should let me reach out 600 meters or so if I need it.  I have an OBR 18" with the Mk 6 3x18 so I was thining the same reticle on both 308's would have some advantages.  I really like how the REPR handles and may buy a 20" version for grins.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I have looked through the Mk 6 and can see why you are running it, my friend has one and really likes the glass and versatility. It looks pretty robust to from the videos I've seen. I have thought the same thing with the 20" barrel but I will need to become more proficient, before I lay down the coin. I'm thinking 6mm BR:)
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top