Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2014 10:06:28 AM EDT
I'm not talking price, I'm wanting to know about reliability. I have had one for over a month now and have been very happy with everything but the trigger (Typical Mil-Spec Trigger). During site in at 50 yards with the factory open sights and shooting Federal 149gr. M80 ball, it was making 1" groups. It's only had a few FTF with some of the surplus Magtech but never with PPU.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a good accurate gun.  Goes bang every time, I think the whole conversion to 5.56 is overplayed and not something that I would suspect a lot of people would do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Crap factory trigger, but that's easily fixed with a Geissele.  I was very pleased with the rest of the rifle.  It's all you would expect from a Colt Rifle.  The change out to the 5.56 upper is a neat trick, but as a stand alone .308, it's outstanding.  When I do my part it's easily an MOA or sub MOA rifle.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I found these guys here on the EE. They have the Geissele 2 stage for $136. Trading Place
Thanks for the recommendation .

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crap factory trigger, but that's easily fixed with a Geissele.  I was very pleased with the rest of the rifle.  It's all you would expect from a Colt Rifle.  The change out to the 5.56 upper is a neat trick, but as a stand alone .308, it's outstanding.  When I do my part it's easily an MOA or sub MOA rifle.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The 901 is pretty heavy isn't it? Is it worth the weight? I plan to get a .308 AR someday but weight is an issue but it would be nice to have a Colt 901 to go with my Colt LE6920.  I've had my eye on the S&W M&P10 just because it seems like the best combination of quality, price and weight but I'm definitely a Colt girl at heart.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Brandi,
Yes, the Colt is a heavy girl especially with the scope and bipod but then again what are you using it for?  I use this 901 one to take down targets past 400 yards. I use my LE6920 for targets out to 200 and it would be my go to platform if the SHTF. The advantage for me is price. You CAN find the 901 for 2K if you look and it already had the sexy monolithic rail and flip up sights. Last I looked , the S&W ran around $1700 but by the time you add the rail, you are already at $2K and it has has the clamp down front gas block vs the pinned one. Additionally, with the added weight plus the muzzle break, it doesn't hardly kick at all.

Quoted:
The 901 is pretty heavy isn't it? Is it worth the weight? I plan to get a .308 AR someday but weight is an issue but it would be nice to have a Colt 901 to go with my Colt LE6920.  I've had my eye on the S&W M&P10 just because it seems like the best combination of quality, price and weight but I'm definitely a Colt girl at heart.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Enjoy that trigger.  If it's Geissele you're going to love it. For this rifle I went with the SD-E.  I think the stage, 3.5 lbs. is excellent for taking a controlled distance shot, yet still enough pressure that's it's controllable if you had to use in closer quarters addressing multiple targets.

Just FYI, on the install.  The pins that come with the trigger won't work due to the width of the lower.  You'll have to use the 901's factory pins, but it won't have any effect on the performance of the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Enjoy that trigger.  If it's Geissele you're going to love it. For this rifle I went with the SD-E.  I think the stage, 3.5 lbs. is excellent for taking a controlled distance shot, yet still enough pressure that's it's controllable if you had to use in closer quarters addressing multiple targets.

Just FYI, on the install.  The pins that come with the trigger won't work due to the width of the lower.  You'll have to use the 901's factory pins, but it won't have any effect on the performance of the trigger.
View Quote

Geissele is making pins for the 901 now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Brandi,
Yes, the Colt is a heavy girl especially with the scope and bipod but then again what are you using it for?  I use this 901 one to take down targets past 400 yards. I use my LE6920 for targets out to 200 and it would be my go to platform if the SHTF. The advantage for me is price. You CAN find the 901 for 2K if you look and it already had the sexy monolithic rail and flip up sights. Last I looked , the S&W ran around $1700 but by the time you add the rail, you are already at $2K and it has has the clamp down front gas block vs the pinned one. Additionally, with the added weight plus the muzzle break, it doesn't hardly kick at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Brandi,

Quoted:

The M&P10 runs around $1300 so that leaves a decent extra amount for optics.  I actually don't have a real need for the .308, I have 5.56 for closer target or hunting, a 6.5 Grendel for long range target or hunting and .50 Beowulf for close range hunting.  I guess there are niche's left that an AR10 could fill like hunting elk sized game at distances where the Beowulf can't be used although it's been shown the 6.5 Grendel is very capable of taking large elk/moose size game and I have my beloved Savage 116 FCSS .30-06 for that stuff.  If I were to be honest my only real reason for wanting one is just because I can.

Although I'm a Colt lover the lighter weight and cheaper cost of the M&P will probably win that race.  The 901 sure is cool though...maybe if I win the lottery I'll get one just for the awesome factor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I need to have you talk to my wife! I only wish she thought like you do! On a side note, I did install the 2 stage trigger today and wow, my groups tightened up quick!

Quoted:

The M&P10 runs around $1300 so that leaves a decent extra amount for optics.  I actually don't have a real need for the .308, I have 5.56 for closer target or hunting, a 6.5 Grendel for long range target or hunting and .50 Beowulf for close range hunting.  I guess there are niche's left that an AR10 could fill like hunting elk sized game at distances where the Beowulf can't be used although it's been shown the 6.5 Grendel is very capable of taking large elk/moose size game and I have my beloved Savage 116 FCSS .30-06 for that stuff.  If I were to be honest my only real reason for wanting one is just because I can.

Although I'm a Colt lover the lighter weight and cheaper cost of the M&P will probably win that race.  The 901 sure is cool though...maybe if I win the lottery I'll get one just for the awesome factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brandi,

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL, yeah I've got some crazy attention at the gun range shooting my .50 Beowulf and S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum...usually attracts quite the group who are amazed to see a woman shooting those cannons.  I've had big tough guys come over to see what I was shooting and then be afraid to shoot them when I offer them the opportunity lol.  I just like guns
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one of the first ones out. It was very, very accurate with anything I fed it, functioned flawless. It is also very heavy, if you don't like the hand guards for some reason you are stuck with them, being heavy is not a bad thing but to me it is all in the front. I traded mine off. The S&W is good, especially for the money. I bought a Windam 308 and am very happy with it, I have a POF, Scar and CMMG also. The POF is almost as heavy, scary accurate, the Scar is lighter and not quite as accurate, the WW is the lightest and fairly accurate, CMMG is light also and accuracy is very good. My 2 cents is for the S&W.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
It is a heavy dog, but I used it last year in the HE-MAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS and it made be look like a better rifle shooter than I was. Gun was right there with the Federal 168-gr Match stuff. Mine has a Giesselle trigger...big surprise.I like shooting it. Wish it didn't have the monolithic upper...

Michael B
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Love mine.......
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
After installing the 2 stage trigger, my groups tightened up to 2 MOA at 100m with a 4x scope. I ended up going with the RRA for now until my budget allows for a Geiselle. It's still a far piece better than the stock trigger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone re-finished their 901?
Is anyone using a Magpul UBR?  Did you change the buffer?

Can't stop messing with a good thing, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe the buffer tube length and diameter are the exact same as the AR15 platform. I would think you should be able to use the same spring and buffer assembly.

Quoted:
Has anyone re-finished their 901?
Is anyone using a Magpul UBR?  Did you change the buffer?

Can't stop messing with a good thing, I guess.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
After installing the 2 stage trigger, my groups tightened up to 2 MOA at 100m with a 4x scope. I ended up going with the RRA for now until my budget allows for a Geiselle. It's still a far piece better than the stock trigger.
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/IMG_8046_zps0f080fc8.jpg
View Quote

Looks good, I put a RRA 2 stage NM trigger in my 6.5 Grendel, was a huge improvement.  Sure there are better triggers out there but not for the same price.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll carry it for you

Serously tho, you thik its heavy now, just wait till you put an optic on it etc.   IMO its too heavy.  The lightest 308s out ther now are the DPMS G2, at <7lbs w/ the MI FF tube and certain barrels, and the M&P at 7 or 7.5 lbs.  HOnestly, I don't know how the M&P is so light w/ its normal size receivers.  Maybe they are thin walled or something...

anyway, the other thing that sux about the olt is the monolithic upper.  Fucking 4 rail are not ergonoic, too heavy, etc.  Dont' they know that dildo gripping a VFG is so 90s.  I like a long round shaft...er I mean tube  w/ rails only where I need it.   Maybe colt will release an updated octagonal keymod version.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
The monolithic rail system is one of the reasons I chose this platform. It's well built and I just straight don't trust DPMS. The Colt has a full-size Mil-Spec barrel instead of a a smaller diameter barrel with a clamp on gas block like the S&W. I have heard good things about the S&W and would determinately like to add one to the inventory.

Quoted:

I'll carry it for you

Serously tho, you thik its heavy now, just wait till you put an optic on it etc.   IMO its too heavy.  The lightest 308s out ther now are the DPMS G2, at <7lbs w/ the MI FF tube and certain barrels, and the M&P at 7 or 7.5 lbs.  HOnestly, I don't know how the M&P is so light w/ its normal size receivers.  Maybe they are thin walled or something...

anyway, the other thing that sux about the olt is the monolithic upper.  Fucking 4 rail are not ergonoic, too heavy, etc.  Dont' they know that dildo gripping a VFG is so 90s.  I like a long round shaft...er I mean tube  w/ rails only where I need it.   Maybe colt will release an updated octagonal keymod version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll carry it for you

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top