Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 6:02:46 AM EDT
So a guy on armlist loved my set up - I had a REM 700 SPS Tactical in a Manners Stock.  I had about $1500 total into the rifle.  He said he didn't have cash on hand but could trade me straight up for a DPMS SASS with a cheap osprey scope which I recently put up on ebay to help fund better glass.

Just curious if you guys think I did the right thing.  I've always wanted a semi-auto 308 and I didn't lose any money on this deal.  His set up was close to $2300.

The SASS is one heavy beast as I'm sure some of you already know.  But for some reason I like how big this thing is....feels solid.  Just curious about your opinions on it and if I should put it back on armslist and continue trading up or get a decent cash offer and go for what I really wanted someday....an LMT MWS 308.

Maybe since I've never fired a semi-auto 308 this will get me hooked and upgrade to an LMT later.  Appreciate your insight.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh and the SASS only had a 100 rounds through the barrel...not a scratch on it.  Looked like it was brand new off the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are happy then it was a good deal.

It's pretty easy to find the prices of a dpms sass

I have done trades in the past, including the recent past, that were not overall beneficial to me on the $$ side but I was trading a gun I didn't want and couldn't seem to sell for a gun that I did want and knew I could sell if I didn't like it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it as heavy or heavier than your Remington? Just curious. I shot my Lite Hunter for the first time which weighs in around 10 pounds with the scope. Not as bad as shooting a light hunting rifle but not as easy on the shoulder as shooting my Savage FP.

Anyway, enjoy. Haven't seen a SASS for $1500 so you probably did good and who knows, it might shoot as good as your Remington did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it as heavy or heavier than your Remington? Just curious. I shot my Lite Hunter for the first time which weighs in around 10 pounds with the scope. Not as bad as shooting a light hunting rifle but not as easy on the shoulder as shooting my Savage FP.

Anyway, enjoy. Haven't seen a SASS for $1500 so you probably did good and who knows, it might shoot as good as your Remington did.
View Quote

I can't remember the exact weight of the REM 700 but it was pretty heavy.  Hoping the SASS can get after targets from 600-700 yards.  I like semi-autos better than bolt guns so this trade was a no-brainer for me.  

I also just purchased the Vortex Razor HD 1-6 Gen II so we'll see how they pair up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is an 18" non SASS, and goes 1000 often on 168 and 175 pills. Roughly 41moa for 168's and 37moa for 175's with my loads. - you'll do 600 yards all day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd probably do that trade.  Although, a 1-6 scope might not be ideal for 600 yards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I was told the 1-6 could reach out to 600 yards...here is my set up.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Good trade
Semi over bolt
Im pretty sure the accuracy is just as good nowadays with these precison rifles
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on the size of your target and how accurately you want to print. Is any hit on a man sized target a hit? If so 6x is probably ok.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top