Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2014 6:14:14 PM EDT
Anyone use Blackhole weaponry barrels in your Grendel builds? Need some range reports....
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is arriving on Wednesday...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a 264 LBC but essentially the same thing.  Mine isn't even broke in yet but it's been a shooter so far.  Even shooting Wolf garbage it shot pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Have a 20" BHW on mine. Most accurate barrel I've had on an AR, but this is also my first Grendel, so I can't say if it's the barrel or the round. Broke it in with good Hornady ammo, and now it shoots everything the same, even Wolf reloads. I will be taking it out either this afternoon or tomorrow and will see if I can get some pics of the groups. Unfortunately, it has still been a pain to find ammo or reloading stuff around me, so I'm trying not to shoot it a ton until I can get my ammo cache built back up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]

BHW 24" 264 LBC at 100 yards fairly consistent
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 16" 1/9 twist, 264 LBC chamber.  It was very accurate for me when I first took it out.  Sub-MOA at 200 yds.   The handguard worked itself loose and the face of the receiver got beat up pretty bad.  I had re-tightened it, but I was only able to use a strap wrench, so I wasn't really happy with the torque. I noticed the groups increasing to over 2 MOA at 100 yds the last time I took it out.  Based on what I know what the barrel is capable of, I think the receiver was the problem.  Loose fit between barrel and receiver, beat up face, and inability to properly torque the barrel nut.

Here's what the receiver looked like (the barrel had close to 1/16" of play at the muzzle with no barrel nut).

I decided to upgrade to a  VLTOR MUR-1 and JP VTAC tube.  First thing I noticed, wow.  The barrel is SNUG into the receiver.  No play at all once it was in there.  I torqued the barrel nut (with moly grease on the threads) to 30 ft lbs, loosened, torqued to 30, loosened, then set the torque wrench to 50 ft lbs.  On the last time, the gas tube nubs lined up perfectly right as the wrench clicked.  I'll be taking it out tomorrow to shoot it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Better.

Here's 27.5 grains of TAC.  ~1/2 MOA?  I'll take it! Ignore the 2 low shots, they're actually high shots from when I was sighting in the scope.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top