Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2013 2:59:20 PM EDT
Any suggestions for reduced loads with lighter recoil using Speer 300gr bullets in the 458 SOCOM?

I have RE-7 and 2200 powder. "Normal" loads appear to be around 40gr charges and ~1750 fps.

Would it be safe to reduce the charge below published starting loads? Any danger of potential powder detonation instead of powder burn?

300gr bullets at ~1500 fps or less would be preferable.

Using an RRA 16" midlength.

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/26/2013 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
not safe to drop below starting load....  id ask this in the reloading forum.  If you are having severe recoil get the barrel, chamber, headspace checked. Check recoil spring, buffer... the 458 shouldnt hit that hard.  Could be a malfunction.  pressure signs wont show on 458 until its blown up.  Try some comercial ammo and see if its your reloads.  Managed recoil loads are less about reduced powder and more about burn rate.   The expert reloaders may help.  I know some very light aluminum bullets are available too.  checkmout 458socomforums
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not safe to drop below starting load....  id ask this in the reloading forum.  If you are having severe recoil get the barrel, chamber, headspace checked. Check recoil spring, buffer... the 458 shouldnt hit that hard.  Could be a malfunction.  pressure signs wont show on 458 until its blown up.  Try some comercial ammo and see if its your reloads.  Managed recoil loads are less about reduced powder and more about burn rate.   The expert reloaders may help.  I know some very light aluminum bullets are available too.  checkmout 458socomforums
View Quote

sorry but I have to throw the challenge flag. pressure signs will show up before you get to the point of blowing up your rifle . ignoring the pressure signs is where you get in trouble . flat primers , pierced primers , ejector and excractor marks will be present . not all powders are unstable at lower charge's  winchester 296 is an example of a powder that is reccomended to not go below starting charges .  the best advise is to go to the powder manufactures web site and read the info on your particular powder .
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Just be careful when you start using terms like "published" load data. There is very little actual published, pressure-tested data out there, most notably a little from Barnes and Accurate Powders. The vast majority of load data you see is actually somebodies QuickLOAD results, which are not to be taken as gospel in my opinion. Accurate has data for a 300 grain bullet with A 2200 powder so you might check that out.

There is no pressure-tested data for a 300 grain jacketed lead bullet with Reloder 7, but it is a very forgiving powder in the Socom. You can certainly drop down to around 38 grains with no ill effects, the main problem you might run into is excessive soot and unburned powder grains. Most people work up to "max" loads and then settle on a mid-range load they like, so there isn't a whole lot of information out there concerning reduced loads that are still supersonic. Subsonic loads with heavy bullets, you bet, but not so much for reduced loads.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any suggestions for reduced loads with lighter recoil using Speer 300gr bullets in the 458 SOCOM?

I have RE-7 and 2200 powder. "Normal" loads appear to be around 40gr charges and ~1750 fps.

Would it be safe to reduce the charge below published starting loads? Any danger of potential powder detonation instead of powder burn?

300gr bullets at ~1500 fps or less would be preferable.

Using an RRA 16" midlength.
Thanks

View Quote

This will be the biggest issue. 38g AA2200 will net you around 1500fps. 35g Rel7 will do the same. Set the bullet to 2.1oal. Both are 72% or more case fill so no problems. You will need a reduce power sprring/light buffer & be prepared for a dirty gun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

Would one powder be preferable over the other to minimize unburnt / dirty results?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a link to the 458 socom forums.  Lots of good info there  http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=1281.msg14731#msg14731

It shows a few in the 1500fps range.  As always please use loads listed carefully and at your own risk.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a link to the 458 socom forums.  Lots of good info there  http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=1281.msg14731#msg14731

It shows a few in the 1500fps range.  As always please use loads listed carefully and at your own risk.
View Quote

Excellent. Thanks

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't "Reduce" loads for a gas operated firearm.

If you don't like the recoil, buy a DPMS Bull Barrel .22 upper to practice with.

Just about the same weight.

Jack...
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't go below starting charge weights. If your drop velocity too much it's very possible you could be talking your rifle to a gunsmith to get a lodged projectile out of your barrel due to unburnt powder and very low velocity. The only thing I could really tell you is to try some factory ammo and go from there. As far as the reloading spectrum be sure to work up loads. Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
How about a muzzle brake?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top