Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 3:03:47 PM EDT
I am looking to build another AR15.  I build my own lowers and have a gunsmith friend who is well trained on AR's who will build my uppers.  Ineed info on the 6mm/223.

1) Optimum barrel length and gas tube length and twist rate
2) Any charateristic problem or issues with the round?
3) Can I use my 5.56 mags?
4) I plan on using the rifle for coyote and, hopefully, deer.  Is the round really capable of clean kills on deer at that range?  Duh!  I meant to say a 200 yard deer rifle.
5) what is the heaviest bullet that will fit in the AR15 magazine?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking to build another AR15.  I build my own lowers and have a gunsmith friend who is well trained on AR's who will build my uppers.  Ineed info on the 6mm/223.

4) I plan on using the rifle for coyote and, hopefully, deer.  Is the round really capable of clean kills on deer at that range?
View Quote

I have one in 18" and if I were to do another, which I really do want to, would also be in 18"... I suggest 18" or 20" with rifle gas length.  I've had no problems with feeding/functioning using Speer 80gr Spitzers and have taken a few deer with the load.

Yes... standard mags work fine.

As stated above, great hunting round.

Check out BWH barrels...

BHW

BHW 6x45 forum

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

4) I plan on using the rifle for coyote and, hopefully, deer.  Is the round really capable of clean kills on deer at that range?
5) what is the heaviest bullet that will fit in the AR15 magazine?
View Quote

Also known as a 6x45
If you buy a couple of tools you can bolt together the upper.

1. Depends but IMO 20" and 24" if you are shooting really long distance, Rifle length, 8 twist for me.
2. Dont know of any
3. Yes
4. What range?/Probably Yes
5. you can load a pretty long bullet in the case. I would be loading the 80 gr TTSX personally. With the reduced powder volume eventually longer bullets will lose their advantage.

You might want to read through this on longer bullets in the 6x45.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=505629
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one in 18" and if I were to do another, which I really do want to, would also be in 18"... I suggest 18" or 20" with rifle gas length.  I've had no problems with feeding/functioning using Speer 80gr Spitzers and have taken a few deer with the load.

Check out BWH barrels...

BHW

BHW 6x45 forum

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out BWH barrels...

BHW

BHW 6x45 forum

Thumbs -up on the BHW barrels recently built a 16" 6x45 with a BHW barrel and really enjoying shooting  it
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top