Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2013 11:25:35 AM EDT
I'm finally ready to build my first 300, but I've had trouble finding a lot of information for this specific type of build.

I live in Cali, so I need a 16" barrel and I will not be running a can. I plan to use this gun for hog hunting. I'd like to be able to shoot supersonic for hogs out to 200-250 yards AND shoot the heavier sub-sonics for up close and personal action in the brush.

So here are my questions:

1) With a 16" is it reasonable to expect to shoot both super and sub sonics?
2) Assuming I can use a 16" barrel to shoot both super and sub sonics, would I be better off using a pistol or carbine length gas tube length?
3) Rate of fire is not a concern, but recoil is always a concern. With that in mind, I was leaning towards a full auto bolt carrier. Are there any potential issues with this that could cause the rifle to not cycle properly?
4) Again with a focus on reducing recoil, could a heavier buffer cause any potential issues?
5) Finally, I'm a single-stage trigger kinda guy when it comes to hunting rifles. Would a Timney 3.5 lb. single-stage have issues with the larger primers on a 300 BLCK?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
300blktalk.com will answer all your questions

Link
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I just posted over there too. Figured this is the best place to start...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm finally ready to build my first 300, but I've had trouble finding a lot of information for this specific type of build.

I live in Cali, so I need a 16" barrel and I will not be running a can. I plan to use this gun for hog hunting. I'd like to be able to shoot supersonic for hogs out to 200-250 yards AND shoot the heavier sub-sonics for up close and personal action in the brush. Do some searching on what ranges people are using these on hogs. Lots of info out there covering that.

So here are my questions:

1) With a 16" is it reasonable to expect to shoot both super and sub sonics?  Sure, no problem that I have found so far.

2) Assuming I can use a 16" barrel to shoot both super and sub sonics, would I be better off using a pistol or carbine length gas tube length?  I use a carbine length one and it seems fine with everything.

3) Rate of fire is not a concern, but recoil is always a concern. With that in mind, I was leaning towards a full auto bolt carrier. Are there any potential issues with this that could cause the rifle to not cycle properly?  I use a standard BCG and have never had an issue.

4) Again with a focus on reducing recoil, could a heavier buffer cause any potential issues? Can't speak to that. I use a standard buffer and all is well.

5) Finally, I'm a single-stage trigger kinda guy when it comes to hunting rifles. Would a Timney 3.5 lb. single-stage have issues with the larger primers on a 300 BLCK? The primers on the 300 are the same as on a .223/5.56 so any hammer that works with those should be GTG on a 300. I have used both standard single stage and light pull two stage without drama.

Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks forever4. That's what I was looking for!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top