Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2013 12:43:44 PM EDT
Hi folks
I have a RRA 458 socom, 16 " barrel,  and while it is very accurate it's just way too heavy. Thought about having it turned down but I think i'd like to have a 20" really light contour built, I can't find anyone with a reamer. I called RRA and they won't even consider getting me another barrel for their rifle (making just too much money without custom work, I guess!)  I'd appreciate some help finding a good barrel maker that can make me one. Marty's site registration is disabled, probably to keep folks like me from joining
thanks
Lj
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
go here
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on what powder you use you may gain nothing by going to a 20 inch.   I have 4 .458 SOCOMS, AR lengths of 13.5, 16, and 20, and with all three barrel lengths, with H110, there is less than 50 fps difference between the 13.5, 16, and 20 inch barrel.  With Re #7 there is about a 100 fps difference between the 13.5 and 20 inch but that is all, and Re #7 is about 100 fps slower to begin with than H110.
So if your RR is 16 inches and CAR gassed or is a midlength but runs with H110, you will not gain much if anything by going to a 20 inch.
If you want lightweight, then turn down your 16 inch to a more reasonable weight.
Re-profiling is not a big deal.  Take it off, send it ADCO, or you can send it to Paladin Machine Shop Services and they can re-profile the barrel to whatever you want.
I have two AR lightweight barrels.  Both are .800 past the chamber to the gas block, .750 at the gas block, then .730 to the muzzle.  With a .458 hole in the middle that makes for a very lightweight barrel.  My 14 inch bolt action pistol is also a taper past the chamber to .730 at the muzzle (same profile as the original .308 barrel) and it weighs next to nothing but handles loads that would damage an AR with impunity.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys
Big Bore, that info saved me a bunch of $. If you're ever in Idaho I owe you a cup of coffee and piece of pie
thanks
Heavybullets
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
YUM!  Glad to be of service!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top