Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2013 5:29:29 PM EDT
What is the consensus on their barrels. A barrel is all I need to finish my Blackout build, and I can actually find one of these in 16"

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Great Company & great CS! Even has an in house artist for excellent barrel & receiver work.
If they had Meloniting as an option, I would have gone with them for my 6.8. I still may for an upper one day.

Have you tried Douglas? They are a little step though.$$$
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]
i have 2 of their barrels and have 2 more on order they are great quality and awesome shooters. gtg in my book. i wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one in 5.56 w/1-8 twist and love it. The finish over the stainless takes a little getting used to since it isn't parked like everything else.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two of their .223 barrels, one 18" and the other 20".  Waiting on scope mounts and scope for the 18" build.  Finish looks great... I look forward to getting them to the range to see how well they do.

Check out Surplus Ammo & Arms... they carry BHW barrels.

BHW 16" 300
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
BHW barrels are Good To Go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got a 6x6.8 barrel today from them, nicest company I've dealt with and have seen nothing but praise for their product, plus theres a 10% dicount after 10 posts in their forum
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have two of their .223 barrels, one 18" and the other 20".  Waiting on scope mounts and scope for the 18" build.  Finish looks great... I look forward to getting them to the range to see how well they do.

Check out Surplus Ammo & Arms... they carry BHW barrels.

BHW 16" 300

That's what I am looking at. I missed out on a Rock Creek. A local guy would turn a Douglas to any profile and ream to any chamber  want, but the price is over $400.

Looks like it's going to be a Blackhole.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not so sure about the "good-to-go" part.  I have ordered around 6 barrels from them, I still have 1.  I had a 16" barrel that measured under 16", one 14.5" that measured 13.7" I had a SBR registrared lower at the time, but that could have really gotten someone in trouble with the law... I think I one point at least they did not appear to be aware that you do measure AR barrels from end of barrel to end of barrel extension.  I was also told over the phone by the owner they use the gas port size on every barrel, every length.  If a gas port is big enough to run a 10.5" on a carbine gas sytem, then a 16" carbine with the same size gas port would be way overgassed.  The owner did not seem to understand this, or even grasp the concept of gas port sized to the gas system/length.  Every barrel I ordered I speced the gas port size I wanted, this was easy because look at a noveske, daniel defense, or bcm and they put the development work in to find what size hole for each setup that would run smoothly without being overgassed on a H  buffer..  Although its probably worked out by now, I understand they just sent out 300 blackouts with not done correctly either.  I was happy with what I got (and they fixed the incorrect length barrels I bought), back then I think I was paying around $130-150 for the barrels that are $250-300 that was a great deal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not so sure about the "good-to-go" part.  I have ordered around 6 barrels from them, I still have 1.  I had a 16" barrel that measured under 16", one 14.5" that measured 13.7" I had a SBR registrared lower at the time, but that could have really gotten someone in trouble with the law... I think I one point at least they did not appear to be aware that you do measure AR barrels from end of barrel to end of barrel extension. I was also told over the phone by the owner they use the gas port size on every barrel, every length.  If a gas port is big enough to run a 10.5" on a carbine gas sytem, then a 16" carbine with the same size gas port would be way overgassed.  The owner did not seem to understand this, or even grasp the concept of gas port sized to the gas system/length.  Every barrel I ordered I speced the gas port size I wanted, this was easy because look at a noveske, daniel defense, or bcm and they put the development work in to find what size hole for each setup that would run smoothly without being overgassed on a H  buffer..  Although its probably worked out by now, I understand they just sent out 300 blackouts with not done correctly either.  I was happy with what I got (and they fixed the incorrect length barrels I bought), back then I think I was paying around $130-150 for the barrels that are $250-300 that was a great deal.

Barrel as measured by ATF is from closed bolt face to end of barrel (or permed MD)

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I had their 18 hbar profile for 556 and it shot great
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
My MagPul PRS stock, grip, Leupold MK AR scope, and Leupold MK 2 mount came in today... pics to follow.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Put in my order for a 6.8 barrel 2 weeks ago. Can't wait for the finished product!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I can say that from all my experience with the BHW barrels they are a great value for the $$'s spent. Accuracy has been superb on mine with their use out to 500 yards in the appropriate chamberings and loadings. Choices of profiles, length and finish are god. The availability of various fluting is also a plus.

They are all SS with no chrome lining available.  Fouling due to copper is virtually non-existent. I have never had a barrel clean as easily as these. Velocities, thanks to the true poly rifling, tend to be 50-75 FPS faster for the same load in a similar length normally rifled barrel.

I have them in 17-223, 20 LBC, 556, 6X45, 6X6.8, 243 LBC (3) and 264 LBC. I will take delivery, tomorrow of a 20 PRACTICAL (on a left handed BHW railed upper) and another 6X6.8.  Needles to say I am stoked on their gear.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one in 6.8 and had a small problem with it.

I have the 16" match heavy barrel w/SPC II chamber and 3r polygonal rifling.  It's stainless but black oxide coated.

The problem I had was with the threading for the flash hider.  It was not cut nearly deep enough and my FH would not thread on to the barrel.  I had to take it to a gunsmith and get the threads cut to the correct depth using a die.

Other than that minor issue the barrel is great.  Fit and finish are excellent and the barrel fit in to the upper receiver perfectly.  

I have had a chance to shoot it once so far and it appears to be very accurate too.

So I have no real negative thoughts regarding the thread issue as sometimes things don't come out perfect.  It only cost me a few bucks to have remedied.  I would buy another BHW again as I think you get a lot for your money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Ordered the 300 blk from SAA. Price was a bit exuberant, but not too bad considering the current state of things. Getting a Diamondhead ff tube just because it looks cool. That will complete my collection to start the build. I am thinking of getting started in Cerakoting so this build just might be a guinea pig for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ordered the 300 blk from SAA. Price was a bit exuberant, but not too bad considering the current state of things. Getting a Diamondhead ff tube just because it looks cool. That will complete my collection to start the build. I am thinking of getting started in Cerakoting so this build just might be a guinea pig for it.

The prices are a tad high but at least you got it.  Make sure to post pics of the completed build.  I already posted this pic... 18" BHW in 5.56 with 1-8 twist.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top